Let’s talk about silverware… yes, silverware

MR NW GUY

Hey Fellow CC’s…

Think back to dinner in the main dining room. The table is set with a full complement of silverware. As the meal progresses, the waiter comes by with their little tray and very carefully replaces your silverware for the next course.

Watch where that silverware goes next! Not in the tray of silverware to be washed, but back in the drawer to be re-used.

After years of cruising, I recently noticed this practice of recycling silverware. I am not a germ a fob, but this seems to be a really unacceptable practice.

Imagine if you took a taste of your tablemate’s soup or salad and placed the utensil back on the table. I did! And the waiter picked up the fork which appeared to be clean and put it back in the drawer to be used again. YUCK! This is when I realized we have a problem here Houston.

On your next sailing if you can see the waiter’s station, see for yourself and report back.

Never really noticed what they do with the silverware, but if the process you describe is standard operating procedure, it is totally unacceptable. Once such items, including the china, have been on the table and available for diners to play touchy-feely with them, they should be headed for the dishwasher whether they appear to be used or not.

What did the dining room manager say when you brought this observation to his or her attention?

My DW and I debated if we should bring it up. We were on board B2B and chose not to bring it up. I regret not asking...

I have noticed this on cruise ships (numerous lines) and restaurants. I mainly notice it with knives. In many restaurants you really have no idea where it goes once removed from the table (I worked in restaurants when younger), on a ship you see it. Also, many restaurants (I know, fancy, expensive restaurants may) do not give you two plus of everything at one time, so this is not an issue.

No matter where I am eating once I use an item for even one "bite" I am sure to put it on a plate, indicating it is used. I also glance at each utensil the first time I use it to be sure it looks clean, no matter where I am eating.

I AM NOT defending the practice, just saying it is a more widespread practice than on your cruise ship.

I always look at my cutlery at any place before I use it. I also notice figerprints on plates and other china items when food is delivered. I worked in many kitchens when I was in university and I know what happens. I have also worked in infection control.

We returned more than one utensil onboard our last cruise as it had a "film" on it, indicating to me that it had been used before it landed on our table. The servers always very sorry and replaced it all quickly with little surprise or upset.

I always look at my cutlery at any place before I use it. I also notice figerprints on plates and other china items when food is delivered. I worked in many kitchens when I was in university and I know what happens. I have also worked in infection control.

We returned more than one utensil onboard our last cruise as it had a "film" on it, indicating to me that it had been used before it landed on our table. The servers always very sorry and replaced it all quickly with little surprise or upset.

We always check our utensils as well -- at restaurants and on cruises.

And we certainly do turn in dirty looking utensils.

This is totally unacceptable. It should have been reported to the dining room manager. No wonder Norvo spreads so quickly.

That's what I was thinking. It's odd how they go to all that trouble for the first 48 hours, and this is going on meanwhile.

My DW and I debated if we should bring it up. We were on board B2B and chose not to bring it up. I regret not asking...

The Dining Room Manager is the person who can do something about it.

I wish (hope) that anyone who sees this happen speaks with the person who can see to it that doesn't happen before they come here and tell us. We can't do much about it.

Thanks for alerting us. I'll pay closer attention and should I see something like that, I will speak us before I come here..... not to say I might not comment here as well.

For me, the goal and priority would be to get the situation corrected.

And do not just speak to the dining room manager. It's probably a good idea to include it in your survey and also send off an email to Seattle with your concerns. If this is happening it is most likely a fleet wide procedure. It might need to be changed from the top on down to the ships.

I'm sure it saves on cleaning etc., but the health issue is much greater. The solution would be to not put out all the cutlery before serving. Maybe bring cutlery out based on what people have order for dinner.

Actually we do not live in a sterile bubble. Though the issue with the silverware raises concerns have you ever thought about the:

1. Handling of salt & pepper dispensers

2. Use of spoons to serve yourself in the buffet lines

3. And on and on and on

The items above are handled by many without clean hands :eek:

They use silverware? :eek: :D

By the way, they may change things by taking the cutlery out of site only to bring it back later - out of sight and out of mind. We just never really know where anything has been before it reaches us. And plastic and paper may not always be perfect either. ;)

Actually we do not live in a sterile bubble. Though the issue with the silverware raises concerns have you ever thought about the:

1. Handling of salt & pepper dispensers

2. Use of spoons to serve yourself in the buffet lines

3. And on and on and on

The items above are handled by many without clean hands :eek:

I think people are most upset about the fork in the mouth and then having it be reused rather than washed.

The stewards are also handling the cutlery, but hopefully only by the ends.

Similarly, on another thread someone verified (no guarantees) that the bread left in the baskets were also discarded when not consumed.

Is it possible that there is some confusion about this? I know it seems cut and dry with what the OP saw...but it just seems so unbelievable and nonsensical. What is the point of the cruise line cutting this corner? It doesn't really save any money. Sure, they could get by with fractionally fewer pieces of stock utensils, but that is a one time negligible cost. Once it is purchased, there is really no extra cost in washing them because they don't take up much space or require additional water...and it's so EASY. For a cruise line to do something that carries such a high risk (norovirus) and to that threatens a LOT of negative publicity if anyone every caught on, there would have to be something MAJOR to gain. I just can't help think we are missing something and that there really isn't an issue here.

Archived