Azamara ship comparison with P&O Adonia

mara01

Rose and Steve, thank you for that comparison which we read with interest as we sailed Quest (R7) in August and a few days ago booked Adonia (R8) for a period this January. We know Adonia from two past cruises when she was Minerva 11 (Swan Hellenic) and actually really like this size of ship. At that time the ship was beautifully maintained and furnished throughout and from your description it sounds as if that standard has dropped.

Despite multiple cruises with a mix of lines, this will only be our second P and O as we prefer not to have to travel to Southampton unless absolutely necessary. The one in January is a fly cruise, as was our first one seven years ago.

We were concerned to read that Adonia only has "chairs" rather than loungers on the promenade deck. We are hoping that you meant "steamer type" chairs as apposed to upright "dining style" chairs as we were hoping to spend as much time as possible on the Promenade deck watching the sea and hopefully enjoying warm sunny weather.

Please could you clarify?

Interesting thread.

I understand the R class ships are smaller, but how do they get the R class title? What is the significance of the different class ships...excuse the question but we've only sailed twice.

Not to hijack the thread but we sailed on X Silhouette. While it is a beautiful ship, I still love the Journey. The traditional decor suits my taste more then the contemporary decor.

Looking forward to being on the Journey again.

Interesting thread.

I understand the R class ships are smaller, but how do they get the R class title? What is the significance of the different class ships...excuse the question but we've only sailed twice.

Not to hijack the thread but we sailed on X Silhouette. While it is a beautiful ship, I still love the Journey. The traditional decor suits my taste more then the contemporary decor.

Looking forward to being on the Journey again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Cruises

Phil

We were concerned to read that Adonia only has "chairs" rather than loungers on the promenade deck. We are hoping that you meant "steamer type" chairs as apposed to upright "dining style" chairs as we were hoping to spend as much time as possible on the Promenade deck watching the sea and hopefully enjoying warm sunny weather.

Please could you clarify?

Hi Edinburgher

I think if my memory serves me correctly that they are wooden folding upright chairs which may recline. I don't think they had footrests as a steamer chair would have, they certainly weren't loungers, but unfortunately I didn't take a photo of them.

Similarly on the pool deck, they have plastic loungers on most of the deck, but again the more upright chairs by the windows rather than loungers like Azamara.

Have a good cruise, I hope you will post an 'experience' comparison with Azamara on your return.

Steve

Edited by mara01

Hi Edinburgher

I think if my memory serves me correctly that they are wooden folding upright chairs which may recline. I don't think they had footrests as a steamer chair would have, they certainly weren't loungers, but unfortunately I didn't take a photo of them.

Similarly on the pool deck, they have plastic loungers on most of the deck, but again the more upright chairs by the windows rather than loungers like Azamara.

Have a good cruise, I hope you will post an 'experience' comparison with Azamara on your return.

Steve

Hi Edinburgher

A further update, my wife has found the following Blog that does indeed show Steamer chairs on the Adonia, my apologies for misleading you in this respect:o

I do notice on the Blog that the sun loungers on the pool deck differ from those that we saw on the ship this year, so I hope that the steamer chairs are still there for you.

http://beyondships.com/PO-Adonia-Tour-2.html

Regards

Steve

Edited by mara01

Rose, Steve, thank you both for that info and the photos.

Relieved to see that the chairs appear to be "steamer type", and hoping the cushions (not in view) are comfy too.:)

Not sure what this P and O experiencewill be like, booked more for the itinerary.