Caribbean cruise in August...Are we nuts?

WillyBear

Thinking of hopping on the Breeze during the last week of August for 6 days of the Eastern Caribbean (Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau). It's just me and my lovely wife. Are we going to melt in the heat and humidity? Will we even want to be on deck? Will the a/c do the job in the stateroom? Not worried about anything else (not worried about possible hurricanes) but the heat and humidity. We go to Walt Disney World in August but we're ducking in and out of the a/c often. Can you kind folks put my mind at ease or should we avoid August in the Caribbean?

Im on conquest mid July and I may melt too, but Im going.

At least you are waiting until the end of August. I would be more worried about hurricanes and tropical storms and missing ports then I would be about the heat.

We always cruise the last week in August (sometimes the week before) it is hot, but you'll always find a reprieve-AC, frozen drinks, pool, etc. DH & I always have a great time and have never thought of booking any other time to sail the Caribbean.

Thinking of hopping on the Breeze during the last week of August for 6 days of the Eastern Caribbean (Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau). It's just me and my lovely wife. Are we going to melt in the heat and humidity? Will we even want to be on deck? Will the a/c do the job in the stateroom? Not worried about anything else (not worried about possible hurricanes) but the heat and humidity. We go to Walt Disney World in August but we're ducking in and out of the a/c often. Can you kind folks put my mind at ease or should we avoid August in the Caribbean?

Depends on what part of Ontario you live in. ( ie. southern portion around Toronto, Hamilton, etc...) With the summer heat and humidity that these areas get - you'll be fine.

My wife and I thought the same when we first started cruising, and we live in the Ottawa area. We do get our share of the heat and humidity during the summer.

We usually cruise from mid October to mid November when it isn't peak period like summer, school breaks etc.

There are plenty of refreshing drinks and pools on board the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

From the point of view of where you live.. for me, it's as hot in Texas almost always than it will be in the Caribbean. We have run weeks in a row over 100 degrees. It wouldn't be any hotter for me being in the Caribbean, but it will be more time outdoors in the heat than I'm used to plus it is more humid in the Caribbean. I notice the humidty.

We have booked our cruise for 08/18/13 because it was the only week the 7 of us could schedule together. I warned everyone else about the heat and humidity, but we live in Texas and have that anyway. The difference is that I live inside during the summer and go outside as rarely as possible because I do not tolerate the heat and humidity very well. We have a balcony cabin and DH plans to spend most of his time there with his Jack & coke where it is close to the a/c! I can see Miami Vices in my future! Our itinerary carries us to Mahogany Bay, Belize & Cozumel; after we take our excursion in Mahogany Bay we might be done!

FROM FLORIDA.. you are not in danger from a Hurricane while you are on ship. they sail around them. It is the port that can be damaged.Scedules changed and the lines give you credit for future crusies.

The past few years have been easy on Florida. Hurricanes have skipped us. Right now we have a tropical storm bearing down on us, but we need the water...so....big hurricanes tend to hit here in late september and early Oct. When our water is still warm...and cold winds and waters from North....mingle. with our warm water and air.

We were on the Dream when KaTrina hit. A Weds. night. it was Friday before we realized what a huge thing it was...

We are sailing in the middle of September. Rates are low. Kids are back in school.weather in the Caribbean is about the same year round.

August..if you scuba..swim...it perfect beach weather in the Caribbean. Warmer than in the winter....and the trade winds which blow in many places don't freeze you out.

FROM FLORIDA.. you are not in danger from a Hurricane while you are on ship. they sail around them. It is the port that can be damaged.Scedules changed and the lines give you credit for future crusies.

The past few years have been easy on Florida. Hurricanes have skipped us. Right now we have a tropical storm bearing down on us, but we need the water...so....big hurricanes tend to hit here in late september and early Oct. When our water is still warm...and cold winds and waters from North....mingle. with our warm water and air.

We were on the Dream when KaTrina hit. A Weds. night. it was Friday before we realized what a huge thing it was...

We are sailing in the middle of September. Rates are low. Kids are back in school.weather in the Caribbean is about the same year round.

August..if you scuba..swim...it perfect beach weather in the Caribbean. Warmer than in the winter....and the trade winds which blow in many places don't freeze you out.

Actually, this is very rare. What people get back are the port charges for the missed port.

I am a teacher and can only cruise during the summer. As you can see from my signature we have gone on 6 August cruises. We have never had a problem and will be going again this August. No matter where you go , bad weather is always a possibility. In fact the only time we had hurricane worries was on a driving vacation to Myrtle Beach and we were between two hurricanes.:mad:

I am a teacher and can only cruise during the summer. As you can see from my signature we have gone on 6 August cruises. We have never had a problem and will be going again this August. No matter where you go , bad weather is always a possibility. In fact the only time we had hurricane worries was on a driving vacation to Myrtle Beach and we were between two hurricanes.:mad:

I work in the school system as well. You should try a Thanksgiving Cruise sometime! Usually cheaper than summer and usually wonderful weather.

Thanks for all of the responses everybody. I'm guessing that ultimately it's one of those things we just have to try and then we'll know if summer cruising in the Caribbean works for us. What a horrible thing to have to try out :D

Depends on what part of Ontario you live in. ( ie. southern portion around Toronto, Hamilton, etc...) With the summer heat and humidity that these areas get - you'll be fine.

My wife and I thought the same when we first started cruising, and we live in the Ottawa area. We do get our share of the heat and humidity during the summer.

We usually cruise from mid October to mid November when it isn't peak period like summer, school breaks etc.

There are plenty of refreshing drinks and pools on board the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are in the Hamilton area. We definitely get heat AND humidity here. Nonetheless, the humidity does seem quite a bit worse when we are in WDW in August. I'm hoping the sea/ocean air takes a bit of that out of the air...

My primary cruises are always in August at this point. By week 2 (sometimes even 1) of August prices have usually started to drop saving money to spend elsewhere.

I've never had any issues yet. The way I see it (kidding of course) is that I've been in the middle of 2 Hurricanes (Charlie when it hit WDW, and Bertha in the Outer Banks, NC), so I've probably met my quota for my lifetime.

I love the heat so that has never been an issue either. Jamaica in August is hot and humid though, I promise you that.

If you can survive WDW in August the Caribbean should be easy!

We're doing both Disney and a cruise in August. At least I can get through the heat on the deck with a frozen drink. Don't know how I'm gonna manage magic kingdom all day! Jump in the pool or go through the sprinkler, you'll be fine OP. Enjoy your (hot) cruise!:p

My FH and I will be on that same Breeze sailing!! I've had my worries too seeming as I've only cruised in January - March but we went to Florida for Universal/SeaWorld/Busch Gardens this same week last year, it was HOT but nothing we couldn't manange even at the theme parks all day. We

re actually going to be in Disney before this cruise and will be sweating I'm sure, but I'm thinking the cruise will actually be fine seeming as there's the sea breezes all day (sea days of course). Which usually makes me cold while out on the deck during other times of the year.

As for hurricanes, that is my worry but I picked this sailing for the ship not the islands so if we miss a few I'll be okay.

Look forward to sailing with you all :) We do have a fun group in the Roll Call section if you'd like to join and talk with us all too.

Archived