Caribbean cruise in August...Are we nuts?

WillyBear

Because you are on the Ocean you have a breeze and won't have the same problems with humidity. Orlando in August is way worse than a cruise in August.

I agree. We are also on the breeze on august 24. We've cruised a few times in August and have been very lucky with beautiful weather. Yes, it's warm but comfortable. We went to Disney last August and never again! It was soooo hot

You'll be fine on the cruise. You're on the water with the trade winds blowing.

WDW in August is an entirely different animal though.

Central Florida in August is downright STAGNANT with heat and humidity. I'm not going to lie, it's going to be much hotter there than on your cruise.

I have a FL resident pass to Disney (The annual not the seasonal one) and I avoid the true "summer" months there like the plague.

Thinking of hopping on the Breeze during the last week of August for 6 days of the Eastern Caribbean (Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau). It's just me and my lovely wife. Are we going to melt in the heat and humidity? Will we even want to be on deck? Will the a/c do the job in the stateroom? Not worried about anything else (not worried about possible hurricanes) but the heat and humidity. We go to Walt Disney World in August but we're ducking in and out of the a/c often. Can you kind folks put my mind at ease or should we avoid August in the Caribbean?

I'm cruising in August too :eek: I cruised last August also with my granddaughter and again this August, I prefer either September or February to cruise, when you are on the ship you can always find a cool place, on the islands is a different story, personally I can't stand the heat, give me 60-70 degrees and I'm happy :) but I love The Caribbean.

We got married on an August cruise.

Man, in a full tux on Half Moon Cay it was unbearable. Honest to God I lost two inches from the sweating I did during the ceremony, pictures and wandering around the island after the ceremony. Belt was taken in that much in a few hours. I really wanted the white suit on the beach look but my wife really wanted the traditional black tux look so the sun soaked up the heat with the black AND layers I had on. Dress shirt, vest, then the suit over all of that.

Wife's dress must of weighed 30lbs, huge Cinderella type dress with a massive trail as well so she was hot as hell too. Thank God the ceremony was at like 10am before the sun/heat got totally unbearable.

But as others have said you will find no shortage of fruity, cold adult beverages to cool off with!

Cruising during that time you roll the dice with port changes due to weather but the deals are usually good enough I would go with an August cruise again.

Thinking of hopping on the Breeze during the last week of August for 6 days of the Eastern Caribbean (Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau). It's just me and my lovely wife. Are we going to melt in the heat and humidity? Will we even want to be on deck? Will the a/c do the job in the stateroom? Not worried about anything else (not worried about possible hurricanes) but the heat and humidity. We go to Walt Disney World in August but we're ducking in and out of the a/c often. Can you kind folks put my mind at ease or should we avoid August in the Caribbean?

If you do book that August 25 sailing on Breeze, come join our roll call. Look in my signature line for the link!

If you can survive WDW in August the Caribbean should be easy!

This is so true!!! We have always gone to WDW in August (primarily for the cheaper prices and not as bad crowds) and knew how hot it was going to be but G-A-A-A-A-SH! :eek::eek: Thankfully we utilized the inside areas and the hotel/resort pool a lot so while it was hot, it wasn't unbearable.

Our upcoming cruise will be our 2nd taken in the month of August I'm more concerned about it being hurricane season than the heat but we did OK last year so hopefully, it'll work out again.

Thank you once again everyone for all your replies. This is an amazing response. Now I just have to talk DW into it. I think she's coming around on the whole heat thing but now starting to worry about a possible hurricane. She's also a teacher and has to be back to work on Tuesday Sept 3rd so is worried that hurricane weather could delay our return.

Thank you once again everyone for all your replies. This is an amazing response. Now I just have to talk DW into it. I think she's coming around on the whole heat thing but now starting to worry about a possible hurricane. She's also a teacher and has to be back to work on Tuesday Sept 3rd so is worried that hurricane weather could delay our return.

You don't have to worry about extra days at sea due to the possibility of a hurricane. They will always get back to port, some port to unload and pick up the next group. As I stated before, you just may not hit the ports you were expecting.

Actually, this is very rare. What people get back are the port charges for the missed port.

I am speaking of cancelled cruises...like when airports are closed due to incoming storms...and it happens. When it does..The cruise lines always give credit. It has happened to us.

But..the airports were closed. Trains ditto.

if the ship sails..then no. You are correct. and ships seldom don't sail.

Where does she teach..if you don't mind me asking? what state?

My daughter has to be back at work..for pre planning on August 12 . State of Florida. She is a fourth grade teacher.

Where does she teach..if you don't mind me asking? what state?

My daughter has to be back at work..for pre planning on August 12 . State of Florida. She is a fourth grade teacher.

We're in Canada...Province of Ontario. We live in the Hamilton area about 1 hour from Buffalo, NY. Kids return to school the Tuesday following Labour Day (statutory holiday on the first Monday in September). Our teachers are not required to be in the school the week prior but the school is open during August for teachers to come in and do prep work...

I'm cruising in August too :eek: I cruised last August also with my granddaughter and again this August, I prefer either September or February to cruise, when you are on the ship you can always find a cool place, on the islands is a different story, personally I can't stand the heat, give me 60-70 degrees and I'm happy :) but I love The Caribbean.

The tours that go up into the moutains..like on St.Thomas...are cool. When up on the mountain. Most buses Have A.C.

We're in Canada...Province of Ontario. We live in the Hamilton area about 1 hour from Buffalo, NY. Kids return to school the Tuesday following Labour Day (statutory holiday on the first Monday in September). Our teachers are not required to be in the school the week prior but the school is open during August for teachers to come in and do prep work...

When I started teaching...we too had to report for preplanning, but it was like two days before the labor Day Holiday.

Then one year..a compromise on giving us a small raise..was to give us the money..but to make us do two weeks of Pre Planning.

Now they have cut that back..but weather days are built in...seven total I think so if we have to close schools for hurricanes or Tropical Storms...the days don't have to be made up at the end of term.

Actually in a major storm free year...the weather days are nice. Three are allowed at Christmas..giving them all 2 weeks plus 3 days..and extra day at Thanksgiving...giving them a five day week end.

I always started to school..as a student..after labor day. I still think that is the "right" time. But then..the Pooh Bas don't ask my advice.

It will be hot, but you'll be fine.

Being from Guyana, I think that's the best time to go visit...hopefully you'll be able to snag some fresh tropical fruit!

They need to visit Guyana to feel what's hot lol :D

Archived