Any Edinburgh / Leith / Rosyth questions, let me know.

Hello, gstewart,

We will be visiting Edinburgh on the Ocean Princess. We just learnt that we will be docking at Rosyth. We are thinking about taking the HOHO in Edinburgh for the day. However, it seems that the HOHO does not go anywhere close to Rosyth. I have read about the train to Edinburgh Waverley; however, I am not sure about getting from Rosyth dock to the train station. It seems that there are 2 different train stations near Rosyth dockyard (not even sure whether that's where Ocean Princess is docked), one is called Rosyth and the other one is Inverkeithing. What would you recommend between the 2 stations and what would be the best way between the train station and the dock?

Also, I saw there are several different kind of tickets that are available at to purchase. We will be traveling after 9:15AM in the morning. Should we get the "Off-Peak Day Return" or the "GroupSave Day"? Are these tickets for unlimited use in a day or just outward and return journeys (i.e., total of 2 uses)?

Thanks.

qip

Edited by qip

Hi qip

Ocean Princess docked at Rosyth last year and I am sure I read that Princess provided a shuttle bus to Inverkeithing station. You would want to use Inverkeithing anyway as the frequency of trains calling there is much higher.

Inverkeithing is not really walkable from the dock at Rosyth - it would take you a bit of time that I am sure you would rather spend in Edinburgh so if there is a shuttle bus my advice is to use it.

When you get to Inverkeithing, there is a ticket office where you will be able to ask for a ticket to Edinburgh. Ask for a return as it is cheaper. Make sure you stay on the train all the way to Waverley station in Edinburgh as the hop on hop off buses main stop is right above the station on Waverley Bridge. They are an excellent way of seeing the city. An adult ticket is currently £12 and it lasts 24 hours so you can get off and on all across the city.

I hope this helps - any more questions, give me a shout and enjoy your trip.

We are doing a pre cruise weekend in Edinburg mid August this year, plan on staying at hotel du vin, also any good tours any comments? Also, I know Fringe is in full swing how does that work?

Finally my wife wants to know best place for buying tartans!

Any help appreciated!

We are doing a pre cruise weekend in Edinburg mid August this year, plan on staying at hotel du vin, also any good tours any comments? Also, I know Fringe is in full swing how does that work?

Finally my wife wants to know best place for buying tartans!

Any help appreciated!

The Fringe will be on in August and you will find the city extremely busy. However there is a fantastic atmosphere around the place with hundreds of shows on each day. You can pre-book shows in advance online or when you are there.

Try and do the open top tours to see Edinburgh. You can get a grand tour ticket from Edinburgh Bis Tours that covers all tour buses as there are several routes plus a boat tour from south queensferry around the Firth of Forth seeing the Bridges etc.

For tours further afield such as the Highlands etc try Greyline Tours - these last a full day and are a good way off getting a snapshot of the Highlands / Loch Ness etc.

Tartans are generally expensive. Amongst all the tourist shops in the Royal Mile you will find proper tartan shops. The tourist shops sell all of the cheap souvenirs and fake tartans.

Hope this helps.

Hi gstewart,

We will be in there mid August on Ocean Princess. I will be on crutches!

We want to do the HOHO bus, seems that would probably be the best for me. I read where you posted to someone else to catch the train to Waverly. Is this something you suggest for someone on crutches too? Or catch a cab?

Any information you can share with getting around on crutches would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again

ap0805

Hi gstewart,

We will be in there mid August on Ocean Princess. I will be on crutches!

We want to do the HOHO bus, seems that would probably be the best for me. I read where you posted to someone else to catch the train to Waverly. Is this something you suggest for someone on crutches too? Or catch a cab?

Any information you can share with getting around on crutches would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again

ap0805

You could probably walk up on the crutches. The buses leave from the entrance of the station so it's not far. There are also elevators which will take you from platform level up to the street level.

I hope that it works out for you.

I have a question, please!

We have a cruise that embarks and disembarks in Southampton. Pre-cruise we will be visiting London for sightseeing. Post cruise we want to go to Edinburgh for about 2 days for sightseeing. I know it's not much time, but.....a little is better than none, right?

When we get off the ship - what is the easiest way to get to Edinburgh? And when we get to Edinburgh - where would you suggest staying since we'll be flying from EDI back home.

Thank you for your help!

Jennifer

I have a question, please!

We have a cruise that embarks and disembarks in Southampton. Pre-cruise we will be visiting London for sightseeing. Post cruise we want to go to Edinburgh for about 2 days for sightseeing. I know it's not much time, but.....a little is better than none, right?

When we get off the ship - what is the easiest way to get to Edinburgh? And when we get to Edinburgh - where would you suggest staying since we'll be flying from EDI back home.

Thank you for your help!

Jennifer

You can fly with Flybe from Southampton to Edinburgh. Decent prices on their website.

In terms of staying there are lots of places. Really depends on your budget. Places like the Novotel and Jury's Inn are decent prices and city centre.

I am interested in finding a way from Harwich to Edinburgh and then to London. WE were wondering about the trains from Harwich to Edinburgh.

To get from harwich to Edinburgh by train you would need to change in London. You can fly from London Stanstead to Edinburgh with easyJet. Stanstead is the closest airport to Harwich. It is probably a taxi journey though.

Edinburgh to London you can fly with British Airways or Virgin Little Red to Heathrow, British Airways or easyJet to Gatwick, easyJet to London Luton or back to Stanstead. Or there is British Airways or Air France to London City.

There is also the train from Edinburgh to London Kings Cross with East Coast Trains.

You can fly with Flybe from Southampton to Edinburgh. Decent prices on their website.

In terms of staying there are lots of places. Really depends on your budget. Places like the Novotel and Jury's Inn are decent prices and city centre.

If we were to take a train from Southampton (?) or do we need to go to London? What is the train that we would take? And is it worth the time?

With Delta Airlines we can do a Multi City itinerary and it's only $100 (ish) more for the flight but we were thinking the train ride may be relaxing and scenic? Depending on travel time, of course.

Thank you for helping me!

If we were to take a train from Southampton (?) or do we need to go to London? What is the train that we would take? And is it worth the time?

With Delta Airlines we can do a Multi City itinerary and it's only $100 (ish) more for the flight but we were thinking the train ride may be relaxing and scenic? Depending on travel time, of course.

Thank you for helping me!

Southampton to Edinburgh on the train is a long long way. There are two options and each is around the 7 hours journey time.

Option 1 - just over 7 hours is to get the train from Southampton to Birmingham New Street, and change there on to a train to Edinburgh. Benefits are you wouldnt have to carry your bags far as the change of trains would be within the one station.

Option 2 - just under 7 hours is to get the train from Southampton to London Waterloo and catch the London Underground from Waterloo to Kings Cross - this would involve changing between the Northern Line and the Victoria Line. Once at Kings Cross you can catch a train to Edinburgh.

I would advise against this as there would be alot of pulling your cases around, up and down steps etc.

I would still recommend flying, its quick and would mean you would still have time in Edinburgh. There are many train journeys north of Edinburgh that you could do if you had time that are scenic. To Oban for example but would likely use up a day of your time.

I hope this helps.

Southampton to Edinburgh on the train is a long long way. There are two options and each is around the 7 hours journey time.

Option 1 - just over 7 hours is to get the train from Southampton to Birmingham New Street, and change there on to a train to Edinburgh. Benefits are you wouldnt have to carry your bags far as the change of trains would be within the one station.

Option 2 - just under 7 hours is to get the train from Southampton to London Waterloo and catch the London Underground from Waterloo to Kings Cross - this would involve changing between the Northern Line and the Victoria Line. Once at Kings Cross you can catch a train to Edinburgh.

I would advise against this as there would be alot of pulling your cases around, up and down steps etc.

I would still recommend flying, its quick and would mean you would still have time in Edinburgh. There are many train journeys north of Edinburgh that you could do if you had time that are scenic. To Oban for example but would likely use up a day of your time.

I hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot! Thank you!

I think we'll go with your recommendation to fly!

When we get to Edinburgh is it possible to stay at an airport hotel and see the sights? Or where would you recommend staying for 2 nights?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, this helps a lot! Thank you!

I think we'll go with your recommendation to fly!

When we get to Edinburgh is it possible to stay at an airport hotel and see the sights? Or where would you recommend staying for 2 nights?

Thanks for your help!

The airport is around 20-30 mins bus ride from the city centre. Staying out at the airport wouldnt really immerse you in the city during the day and particularly at night when everything is lit up nicely.

If I were you I would try somewhere like the Jurys Inn or Novotel:

http://edinburghhotels.jurysinns.com/

http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3271-novotel-edinburgh-centre/index.shtml

If money is no object the following are recommended:

http://www.hotelmissoni.com/

http://www.radissonblu.co.uk/hotel-edinburgh

There are many other excellent hotels in the city centre and some a little bit further out. It all depends on your budget and whether being in the city centre is important to you or not.

Our cruise in September stops in Edinburgh. We would like to go to the castle. The ship has an excursion, but I would like to know the logistics of doing it on my own, since this will allow us to go and come on our own schedule. I would just like to get a taxi, go to the castle and come back to the ship. My husband walks with a cane and just touring the castle would be enough walking for him. I read on their website that they will assist anyone with disabilities that needs help to manage the steep hills. If it is possible, what would be the cost? Thank you for any help.

Our cruise in September stops in Edinburgh. We would like to go to the castle. The ship has an excursion, but I would like to know the logistics of doing it on my own, since this will allow us to go and come on our own schedule. I would just like to get a taxi, go to the castle and come back to the ship. My husband walks with a cane and just touring the castle would be enough walking for him. I read on their website that they will assist anyone with disabilities that needs help to manage the steep hills. If it is possible, what would be the cost? Thank you for any help.

What ship will you be on? I ask because there are two ports and an anchorage and each will be a different price in a taxi.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We will be on Carnival Legend.

You will be anchoring at Hounds Point in South Queensferry and tendering then. A taxi from here would be roughly £20-£30 each way and it could take you as close to Edinburgh Castle as you can go. There would be a short walk up hill to get to the castle entrance though.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We will be docking at Rosyth and would like to see Stirling Castle and surrounding area. Is there a tour company that is based in Rosyth or would pick us up at the port? So far, I have only found companies where we have to meet them in Edinburgh which seems like we would be going in the opposite direction and wasting a lot of time. Alternatively, can we get there by train or bus and just go on our own? I know there are audio tours of the castle.

Thanks