Any Edinburgh / Leith / Rosyth questions, let me know.

We will be docking at Rosyth and would like to see Stirling Castle and surrounding area. Is there a tour company that is based in Rosyth or would pick us up at the port? So far, I have only found companies where we have to meet them in Edinburgh which seems like we would be going in the opposite direction and wasting a lot of time. Alternatively, can we get there by train or bus and just go on our own? I know there are audio tours of the castle.

Thanks

You could try here:

http://www.aboutscotland.net/Shore-Excursions/shore-excursions.html

If you want to get there by train, you would need to go from Inverkeithing (your cruise line should provide a shuttle bus between Rosyth port and Inverkeithing station). You would need to change trains at Haymarket Station in Edinburgh and catch a train to Stirling. Overall the journey takes roughly 1.5 hours.

Well, yes, but you will need a Member of the Society to sign you in.

I quite enjoy the Whisky Experience by the Castle, too:

http://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

Non members can go in - see the response from the SMWS below:

Thank you for your enquiry.

We welcome the opportunity to open our doors to non-members and we have several options for you to select from:

- 'Taste of the Members Rooms Experience'. This is priced at £24.50 for members and £29 for non-members. This allows you access to our members rooms, 3 drams chosen and explained by one of our Society Ambassadors and a 1 course bar meal. This is available Monday - Saturday from 12pm - 9pm and needs to be booked in advance.

- The Taster Menu in the Dining Room. During this experience you will enjoy 5 delicious courses carefully matched with 5 drams of whisky. As always our trained staff will explain a little about our Society and how the whisky compliments each course. This is available Tuesday - Saturday from 6.30pm - 8.30pm and costs £65pp.

- Alternatively you are able to purchase membership for a day for £10 which grants you access to our members bar, where you are able to purchase drams from our extensive collection of single malt, single cask whisky.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Jenna

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

28 Queen Street

Edinburgh

EH2 1JX

+44(0)131 220 2044

Are you familiar with Dunfermline Abbey? We are thinking of visiting on a Sunday during services at 9:30 am. Their website states the Abbey is only open to visitors in the afternoon. If we attend the service do we then have access to the other areas of the Abbey in the morning?

I understand there is an old part and a new part. Where do the services take place?

Our ship docks in Rosyth, so going to Dunfermline would be very easy from there. We will have 2 days in Edinburgh and plan to spend the second day in Fife.

Are you familiar with Dunfermline Abbey? We are thinking of visiting on a Sunday during services at 9:30 am. Their website states the Abbey is only open to visitors in the afternoon. If we attend the service do we then have access to the other areas of the Abbey in the morning?

I understand there is an old part and a new part. Where do the services take place?

Our ship docks in Rosyth, so going to Dunfermline would be very easy from there. We will have 2 days in Edinburgh and plan to spend the second day in Fife.

Hi there. I actually live in Dunfermline lol. You will be able to go in during the service and then tour the abbey afterwards. The abbey and surrounding park is well worth seeing. I am sure you will enjoy it along with your day in Edinburgh.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi gstewart

We are from London but on the Ocean Princess 22 August. We stop in Rosyth for 2 days

On day 1 we are going to hang out in Edinburgh and then see the tattoo

On day 2 we would like to go to Brittania.

Our question concerns transport. The ship may have a shuttle to a station from Rosyth. They never publicise this!

Do you know if they do?

If so, can we get from Inverkeithing to Leith for the Yacht.

If not, how much is a taxi.

Secondly, is there car hire at Rosyth and how difficult, expensive, is parking near the tattoo?

Thirdly, how much is a taxi, post tattoo at about 9pm back to the ship?

Many thanks

Sharon;)

Hi gstewart

We are from London but on the Ocean Princess 22 August. We stop in Rosyth for 2 days

On day 1 we are going to hang out in Edinburgh and then see the tattoo

On day 2 we would like to go to Brittania.

Our question concerns transport. The ship may have a shuttle to a station from Rosyth. They never publicise this!

Do you know if they do?

If so, can we get from Inverkeithing to Leith for the Yacht.

If not, how much is a taxi.

Secondly, is there car hire at Rosyth and how difficult, expensive, is parking near the tattoo?

Thirdly, how much is a taxi, post tattoo at about 9pm back to the ship?

Many thanks

Sharon;)

Hi Sharon

I'm not Gstewart but I live in this area too and recently answered another question about transport from Rosyth. According to a member of staff from the local bus company, the cruise lines run a shuttle, in private coaches, and it takes you from the port to the station at Inverkeithing. From there, trains run really regularly to Edinburgh. Be sure to get off at Edinburgh Waverley. You can check out the timetable at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend hiring a car for Edinburgh. They're building a new tram line in the city centre and there's various diversions etc. Like all cities it's tricky to drive around anyway, unless you know exactly where you're going. You'd be best to get the train to Edinburgh then take the bus to Britannia at Ocean terminal in Leith. Here's a link to a bus that goes from the station at Waverley bridge. http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-tickets-maps/timetables/36

Finally, I think it will be about £30 Rosyth to Edinburgh by taxi after the tattoo.

You will be anchoring at Hounds Point in South Queensferry and tendering then. A taxi from here would be roughly £20-£30 each way and it could take you as close to Edinburgh Castle as you can go. There would be a short walk up hill to get to the castle entrance though.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Is there a local bus? How far is it to the castle from the tender port?

Is there a local bus? How far is it to the castle from the tender port?

The castle is a good 8 miles or so from the port. You can take a bus into Edinburgh from Queensferry and back but I would not recommend it, the train is far quicker and avoids the traffic- the road route is a popular commuter link and gets very congested at time

The castle is a good 8 miles or so from the port. You can take a bus into Edinburgh from Queensferry and back but I would not recommend it, the train is far quicker and avoids the traffic- the road route is a popular commuter link and gets very congested at time

There are 4 of us and we plan to take a taxi from Queensferry tender port to Edinburgh instead of taking the train or the bus. Do you recommend it? How much will taxi fare be? Will it be easy to catch one at the tender port?

Thank you for your response.

Hello,

Thank you for being so willing to answer our questions!

We are on Ocean Princess, and docking (at least i think we are docking, not anchoring) at Rosyth 3 and 4 August. Friends who live in Scotland are picking us up on the 4th. Can you suggest a good meeting place at Rosyth? Thank you for your help.

Ricki

Non members can go in - see the response from the SMWS below:

Thank you for your enquiry.

We welcome the opportunity to open our doors to non-members and we have several options for you to select from:

Good to know, thanks ( and I'm a member :))

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Hi Ricki

I am having a big falling out with Princess due to lack of information. They just will not give information about shuttles on our cruise and never do, so we have to buy their excursions. You usually find out on the patter when it is too late!

We are on Ocean 22 August

Can you please report back after your cruise about shuttles at Rosyth and what times they run. We are coming back from the tattoo about 10pm. I have asked Princess and 'they know nothing' You could be our spy!

:(

There are 4 of us and we plan to take a taxi from Queensferry tender port to Edinburgh instead of taking the train or the bus. Do you recommend it? How much will taxi fare be? Will it be easy to catch one at the tender port?

Thank you for your response.

Depending on the traffic a taxi would be about £25 each way and certainly avoids the hassle of climbing the steps to the station. Coming back you will easily find a cab - you can call any black cab that has their yellow light on or go to one of the designated taxi ranks in Edinburgh

Going in may be different - when are you in port and when do you plan to go ashore? Certainly taxis do go down to the Jetty but whether enough go down all depends, for example, if you are going during The Open or the Festival you might want to pre book with one of the companies listed on this thread

Hi Ricki

I am having a big falling out with Princess due to lack of information. They just will not give information about shuttles on our cruise and never do, so we have to buy their excursions. You usually find out on the patter when it is too late!

We are on Ocean 22 August

Can you please report back after your cruise about shuttles at Rosyth and what times they run. We are coming back from the tattoo about 10pm. I have asked Princess and 'they know nothing' You could be our spy!

:(

I will be happy to post shuttle information when we return. Have a great cruise!

Ricki

Hi there. I actually live in Dunfermline lol. You will be able to go in during the service and then tour the abbey afterwards. The abbey and surrounding park is well worth seeing. I am sure you will enjoy it along with your day in Edinburgh.

Thank you very much for answering all our questions. Glad to hear we will be able to see parts of the Abbey after the service. From Dunfermline we will take the train to Perth to see Scone Place and then to Gleneagles for afternoon tea. I have arranged for a taxi to pick us up at Gleneagles to bring us back to Rosyth.

Appreciate your help!

Hello,

Thank you for being so willing to answer our questions!

We are on Ocean Princess, and docking (at least i think we are docking, not anchoring) at Rosyth 3 and 4 August. Friends who live in Scotland are picking us up on the 4th. Can you suggest a good meeting place at Rosyth? Thank you for your help.

Ricki

I am bumping this up in case gstewart did not see the original post.

Thanks for your help!

Depending on the traffic a taxi would be about £25 each way and certainly avoids the hassle of climbing the steps to the station. Coming back you will easily find a cab - you can call any black cab that has their yellow light on or go to one of the designated taxi ranks in Edinburgh

Going in may be different - when are you in port and when do you plan to go ashore? Certainly taxis do go down to the Jetty but whether enough go down all depends, for example, if you are going during The Open or the Festival you might want to pre book with one of the companies listed on this thread

Thank you uktog for the information.

Our ship will arrive on July 20 which is a Saturday. Will traffic and construction in the city be better given it's the weekend? But will there be less, or more taxi at the tender port? We would like to be at the castle around 9 and will leave the ship around 8 the latest.

I am bumping this up in case gstewart did not see the original post.

Thanks for your help!

Hi there apologies for not replying. I have been on holiday so didn't get a chance to look at CC. In Rosyth, your friends should be able to pick you up directly outside the passenger terminal.

Thank you uktog for the information.

Our ship will arrive on July 20 which is a Saturday. Will traffic and construction in the city be better given it's the weekend? But will there be less, or more taxi at the tender port? We would like to be at the castle around 9 and will leave the ship around 8 the latest.

Traffic early on a Saturday shouldn't be too bad. It gets much busier later in the day though.

Hi there apologies for not replying. I have been on holiday so didn't get a chance to look at CC. In Rosyth, your friends should be able to pick you up directly outside the passenger terminal.

Thank you very much, gstewart! I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Ricki

Thanks very much for the info on this thread. We will be on Ocean Princess, docking at Rosyth on 12th August. We will use the shuttle to Inverkeithing station and the train to Waverley. The one thing I would like to do is to visit Britannia, having done a Hoho in Edinburgh in the past we may just use the local bus service to Leith. I just hope the shuttle is not too costly.

Does anyone know if Princess charge for the buses?