Any Edinburgh / Leith / Rosyth questions, let me know.

We will be docking in Rosyth on the Ocean Princess.

We are concerned about stairs, as we will have our elderly father with us.

Are there stairs we must ascend to get into Inverkeithing and Waverly stations? Are there elevators or escalators to help us manage in both stations?

There will be 7 of us altogether... Would it be better to take one or two cabs than to attempt the trains? If so, can they be reserved in advance?

Thank you in advance for your help.

We enjoy all types of food .as for prices not McDonalds and not high class top restaurant so I would say around 10 to 20 pounds pp.

We will be there the second week of Sept.

Thanks

Travelling fools,

George Street is the wide street that leads off Charlotte Square and there are various restaurants along there which aren't too expensive but fairly reliable. We go to Brown's in George Street for lunch when we're shopping but they're open all day and have a very varied menu. It's quite big and fairly lively http://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/locations/edinburgh/. Just a bit further along George Street we like Café Andaluz for Spanish style tapas http://www.cafeandaluz.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=37

On the other side of Charlotte Square, there's Queensferry Street and there are one or two Italian restaurants and Pizza Express is a good standby for us. There's a French restaurant which a couple of our friends like. http://www.lescargotbleu.co.uk/site_html_escargot_blanc/pages_web/escargot_blanc_french_restaurant_edinburgh.html

None of these will be any more than 5 mins walk from a hotel in Charlotte Square (the Roxburgh?)

Enjoy Edinburgh

We will be docking in Rosyth on the Ocean Princess.

We are concerned about stairs, as we will have our elderly father with us.

Are there stairs we must ascend to get into Inverkeithing and Waverly stations? Are there elevators or escalators to help us manage in both stations?

There will be 7 of us altogether... Would it be better to take one or two cabs than to attempt the trains? If so, can they be reserved in advance?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rosyth is flat and Inverkeithing station is very accessible unlike Dalmeny. I imagine your shuttle will drop you off in the car park, and from there, there is an easy ramp which leads you over the railway to the platform for Edinburgh.

When you get to Edinburgh Waverley, you again go up a ramp (quite steep!) to get to the hoho buses, or there is a line of escalators to get you up to Princes Street. I'm pretty sure that there will be taxis at the port on the day if you change your mind and decide to taxi into Edinburgh. There are a couple of taxi companies we use regularly and they have bigger cars (NOT limousines!!) so sure they could be phoned on the day if you needed to arrange something. http://www.premiertaxisfife.com/ OR http://www.dulochtaxis.co.uk/

Rhona

Hello Gstewart,

we will dock with the MSC Magnifica in South Queensferry at 26th August 2013. It is not mentioned that this will be a tender port.

As my husband can't walk very well we would choose a taxi or a shuttle bus. Do you think they will be avaible without problems at this day?

Can we pay in EUR or do we need GBP?

Thanks in advance for your comments

cruisetina,

I know this question was addressed to GStewart but I think I'm qualified enough to answer the question as I too live in the area.

As far as payment is concerned, euros will NOT be accepted. The UK currency is GBP and so I would highly recommend you make sure you have them with you. I'm sure no taxi drivers would accept Euros. South Queensferry is always a tender port. Smaller ships may dock in Rosyth or Leith for Edinburgh but I have checked and you are definitely scheduled for South Queensferry (from 10.00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m.

I gave the names of some local taxis in a previous answer on this thread if you are interested.

Thank You. Some more questions about transport from the port to Edinburgh -

1) Do you have a link to the train schedule?

2) When I was last there 8 years ago, the walk to the train was on an uneven incline. Is the walk there easy?

3) Which bus # goes to Waverly Station?

4) Does bus fare require exact change, coins only?

Harry and Carol

cruisetina,

I know this question was addressed to GStewart but I think I'm qualified enough to answer the question as I too live in the area.

As far as payment is concerned, euros will NOT be accepted. The UK currency is GBP and so I would highly recommend you make sure you have them with you. I'm sure no taxi drivers would accept Euros. South Queensferry is always a tender port. Smaller ships may dock in Rosyth or Leith for Edinburgh but I have checked and you are definitely scheduled for South Queensferry (from 10.00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m.

I gave the names of some local taxis in a previous answer on this thread if you are interested.

Hi Tartanexile, Thanks for your many answers on this thread. I like the thought of giving something back to the folks on cruise critic since a lot of them have helped me over the past few years.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank You. Some more questions about transport from the port to Edinburgh -

1) Do you have a link to the train schedule?

2) When I was last there 8 years ago, the walk to the train was on an uneven incline. Is the walk there easy?

3) Which bus # goes to Waverly Station?

4) Does bus fare require exact change, coins only?

Harry and Carol

Hi Harry and Carole

1. Timetable is here. http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/timetables-connections. You need to select the Fife Circle and Newcraighall timetable and the station you are looking for is dalmeny.

2. There is a set of steps leading up to the station. If you are ok with walking and steps then you will be ok with this. Any difficulties walking and you may struggle.

3. The bus from South Queensferry is the number 43 First Bus service.

4. Yes I think exact change is required on the 43.

G

We will be ending our vacation with a stay in Edinburgh and need a taxi for 5 people with luggage to go to EDI airport at 4 am for our flight home. Do you have a taxi company with large van to recommend for city center pickup?

Thank You do much!

If you know of any good tea rooms centrally located, let us know. We plan in taking one of the HOHO routes and focus on a museum or two.

Harry and Carol

The tea room at Holyrood Palace is supposed to be quite good. You can therefore tell people that whilst in Edinburgh you had tea at the palace.

The Ho-Ho bus stops to let people off at Holyrood and it is well worth a look around.

We will be ending our vacation with a stay in Edinburgh and need a taxi for 5 people with luggage to go to EDI airport at 4 am for our flight home. Do you have a taxi company with large van to recommend for city center pickup?

Hi there

I am not an expert on taxis as I dont use them in Edinburgh very much however you could try the following company. They seem to have larger vans.

http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk/fleet/

Perhaps Tartanexile81 might be able to give you some more info on taxis.

Thanks

I would like to join a private group going to the castle and palace, but I am worried that my husband will have problems getting around if there are alot of stairs to climb. He can manage a few steps up and down but not flight after flight of stairs. I know it will be alot of walking, and he can manage that if, he can rest at times. Do you know if private tours can let people off at the castle entrance? Should I reconsider this excursion? My alternative thought is just to do the ships excursion to the castle. I would appreciate any help.

I would like to join a private group going to the castle and palace, but I am worried that my husband will have problems getting around if there are alot of stairs to climb. He can manage a few steps up and down but not flight after flight of stairs. I know it will be alot of walking, and he can manage that if, he can rest at times. Do you know if private tours can let people off at the castle entrance? Should I reconsider this excursion? My alternative thought is just to do the ships excursion to the castle. I would appreciate any help.

No matter what excursion you choose there will be walking involved to get up to the castle. You will be able to do this at your own pace though.

The walk is not up stairs but is up an incline from where buses / taxis drop off to the castle esplanade.

I hope this helps.

No matter what excursion you choose there will be walking involved to get up to the castle. You will be able to do this at your own pace though.

The walk is not up stairs but is up an incline from where buses / taxis drop off to the castle esplanade.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your quick response. The Carnival shore excursion says "You enter the castle via the esplanade which slopes gently toward the main gate". This does not sound like it is a problem for him. Would it be the same for a private excursion? Are there stairs to climb in the castle?

Thank you for your quick response. The Carnival shore excursion says "You enter the castle via the esplanade which slopes gently toward the main gate". This does not sound like it is a problem for him. Would it be the same for a private excursion? Are there stairs to climb in the castle?

Good question about the castle. I have lived here all my life and only been to the castle once about 20 years ago. I would imagine if there are there won't be many. All tours will probably drop off at the same place for the castle.

There's reasonable access, but a small number of areas inaccessible if he can't manage stairs at all. There is a mobility vehicle they use to help people up from the entrance to the central area, see:

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/plan/access

Harry

I would say that the stop at the police station in Hopetoun Road will be nearest to you.

• When you get off the tender, turn right towards the village: the River Forth should be on your right.
  • You pass a car park also on your right. Keep going along to the main street with various shops and restaurants on both sides of the road. The street is much narrower at this point.
  • You will come to a restaurant called Orocco Pier on your right with a block of flats opposite. At this point the main road bends up the hill but you should keep going straight ahead and you will see the bus stop just along that road.
  • I would say it's about 10 minutes easy walking and it will be quite an interesting walk.

Enjoy Edinburgh

• 3 weeks later...

There is a shuttle service operated by Cramond Coaches which takes you from South Queensferry to Edinburgh city centre. The cost is £10 or $15 or 15 euros for a round trip. I spoke to the manager of the company today when he was in South Queensferry for Oceania Marina and he confirmed that he was in South Queensferry when any cruise ship was in port. His email address is info@cramondcoachesltd.co.uk

We will be in Edinburgh the end of September for a few days pre-cruise. We are going to Glasgow for one day as I am a big Charles Rennie Mackintosh fan.

Should I book the train tickets on-line in advance or is it easier to buy the tickets at the train station at the time? Travelling on a Thursday and planning on going to and from Waverly to either Central or Queen Station.

We will be in Edinburgh the end of September for a few days pre-cruise. We are going to Glasgow for one day as I am a big Charles Rennie Mackintosh fan.

Should I book the train tickets on-line in advance or is it easier to buy the tickets at the train station at the time? Travelling on a Thursday and planning on going to and from Waverly to either Central or Queen Station.

Hi giraffelt

I hope you enjoy your visit here.

You can't book trains for Glasgow in advance. You just turn up on the day and buy your ticket. There are a number of ticket machines on the concourse at Waverley station.

I would recommend going to Glasgow Queen Street at the journey only takes about 50 minutes. The train to Glasgow Central takes much longer. If you make sure that you travel to Glasgow after 9 am and back from Glasgow after 6 pm you can buy an Off Peak Return.

I was born in Glasgow and live in Edinburgh so love both cities equally! And I'm also a Rennie Macintosh fan. Make sure you don't miss taking part in a tour of Glasgow School of Art. http://www.gsa.ac.uk/visit-gsa/mackintosh-building-tours/

I hope this helps.

Eddie (another cruise-loving Edinburgh resident, more than happy to help!)

Eddie,

thanks for the advice on the trains. We definitely are doing the GSOA tour. Also planning on going to the Kelvingrove Museum and going to the Willow Tea Room for lunch. Are there any other CRM sites we should try to incorporate into our Glasgow day?

Larry

We don't live too far from Glasgow and tend to go there for shopping etc but decided to go for a few days a couple of years ago. We did the tour of the Glasgow School of Art and also visited the Scotland Street School which is a museum in a school building designed by Mackintosh. It shows education through the years and we found it very interesting. However without doubt the highlight for us was the house at the university. This is an extract from the website. It took my breath away and I cannot recommend it highly enough for a CRM fan.

"The Hunterian Art Gallery houses one of the most important collections of the work of Scottish architect, designer and artist, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) and his artist-wife, Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864-1933). The Mackintosh House is a meticulous reassemblage of the principal interiors from the Mackintoshes’ Glasgow home"

http://www.gla.ac.uk/hunterian/collections/permanentdisplays/themackintoshhouse/

We found the Willow café a real let-down after our visit to the house.