Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We love inside cabins as well :-)

The closer you are to the keel, the less motion you're going to feel.

Inside cabins amidships -or just slightly forward of amidships

are close to the optimal location for No Motion!

Motion happens

not only along the ship's length bow-to-stern

but also that rolling motion side-to-side, across her beam.

Inside cabins feel that rolling motion a lot less than Ocean Views

because they're closer to the keel/central axis of the ship.

I've been v.happy lately

booking lower deck Insides at a fraction of the cost for exalted balconies

and enjoying excellent ride quality!

No window? The TV is my window (when I'm there!)

Cramped closet? Not all cruise lines have cramped insides!

Edited by Aplmac

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

I'm right there with you! Give me a nice cheap interior any day! Our travel agent jokes we're the only people who get upset if we get upgraded to an ocean view cabin!

We have enjoyed our inside rooms. We've done all types of rooms, but the inside ones are better to sleep in. The oceanviews are our least favorite because they are just a tease. The inside rooms are great because they tend to be darker, quieter, easier to hide away in. We don't spend a lot of time in our room... except doing things you do in a stateroom... sleeping, bathing, and ;);), so we have found that balcony rooms make us feel a little more obligated to stay in the room to try to enjoy it. We'd rather be out doing stuff.

That and we seem to win the Smoker's Unlucky Lotto and have dueling smokers on each side of us. I know from the smoking threads that this is basically a 1 in a million shot, each time, because 99.9999999999% of smokers are the most considerate people on the planet and never allow their smoke to go anywhere but their own lungs.

We are doing our 1st inside cabin in July, because it was cheap and it was an unplanned getaway. Fingers crossed its ok then we may book them more often and save a ton of cash.

OP we were on deck 2 on the Indy on our first cruise, in an ocean view and I don't recall excess engine noise. Looking through the window of the ocean view actually made me feel queasy

Edited by Zhane's mum

Thank you to everyone for all the information. Our cabin is slightly forward midship, Deck 2. So at least sea-sickness might not be too much of a problem. And maybe if there is any engine noise, it might actually put me to sleep.

Edited by radiancecruiser

Since I travel solo, I can only afford an inside and I enjoy it. I had a balcony on my Allure cruise and it was great, but I was sharing the cost with a friend.

That's why I'm really excited about the Quantum and the studio balconies; I can see that becoming my ship of choice just for that reason.

Until then, I'll enjoy my insides and lower costs.

We started with inside, and as our finances permitted, eventually worked our way up to suites. I can be happy in any room, I'm on a cruise! But I will admit to being a balcony snob. I'm an early riser, and DH is not. Taking my book and relaxing outside is a favorite cruise thing for me to do. When I cruise with my girlfriends we used to get insides, but we once got a call from the upsell fairy, and scored a mini-suite on CCL for a song, and my BFF experienced her first balcony, she was hooked. She blames me for spoiling her as she now only books balconies, aft if she can get it! :D

We have found that balcony rooms make us feel

a little more obligated to stay in the room to try to enjoy it.

We'd rather be out doing stuff.

Funny you should bring that up!

Kinda like... Dammit I paid so much more for this balcony

I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy it, even if it kills me!

Balconies are so over-rated

but The Advertising does such a good job of selling them, doesn't it? :)

An Inside stateroom is all I've ever had. So I'm fine with it.

Funny you should bring that up!

Kinda like... Dammit I paid so much more for this balcony

I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy it, even if it kills me!

Balconies are so over-rated

but The Advertising does such a good job of selling them, doesn't it? :)

Maybe they are overrated, my DH used to think so, then he discovered the balcony club...;)

My wife and I only do the inside cabins. We're constantly going on the ships, we only grab about 6 hours (at most!) of sleep and we're fine with the inside cabins. Therefore, we don't see the point of spending money on a room we're never in. We also still love each other enough that we don't mind being in a cramped space together, although we rarely feel cramped.

We've never done a balcony (although we did consider it for our upcoming cruise) but again, we know we'll never be in the room. So to say we prefer it may not be fair because we've never experienced the balcony, but we'd prefer to save the money and experience more of what the ship has to offer...

I'd sleep in crew quarters if I could. I just need a bed & bathroom. We always book inside. We've done ocean view once because the price difference was insignificant, $50ish. We are hardly in the room so really we don't need more than an inside. We have 2 kids also, & they do just fine. Again it's mostly just for a bed & bathroom. As someone else said, I'd rather spend the money on excursions or something else.

I have been on 15 cruises and have booked inside, outside, balconies and suites. I couldn't care less if i have an inside because I don't spend much time inside the cabin. I would rather put my money into some fabulous excursions!

We usually get a balcony but when I go on "girls cruises" we are more budget conscious and get inside cabins. I am perfectly fine with them and I sleep so well! We've never had an issue with the size - always had plenty of room.

You won't know until you try it! Good Luck!

We also still love each other enough that we don't mind being in a cramped space together,

although we rarely feel cramped.

HUGE Factor!!...being still on honeymoon years and years later! ;)

I always book an inside but so far have been able to upgrade to oceanview or Promenade for nothing due to price drops so Ive actually on been on one cruise in an inside cabin. It was JUST FINE! I spend less than 6 hours a day in my cabin and would rather be out meeting and mingling than sitting on a balcony by myself.

Being that I require an accessible cabins the cabins are always plenty big enough so I didnt experience "sleeping in a dark closet".

They say once you go balcony you can never go back. Im never gonna have to worry about that as I will likely never book one and I figure the chances to upgrade to one for nothing is pretty much slim to none.

Edited by ryano

Early risers here...we prefer the quiet time in the wee hours to see the sun come up over the water when the whole ship is still asleep.

We never rule out insides though, as we've done some pretty remarkable pricing for those, but after inside Mariner in April, we both agreed we just need the balcony view for those sunrises and sunsets with a glass of wine in future!

I know people may not want to think about it but if an emergency happens...

Which is one of the reasons I choose high deck with balcony.

I figure I can jump/dive off a lot easier. Plus flooding would normally start below the waterline and work up which would affect higher decks last.

We can afford a balcony or higher, but as a rule tend to be frugal, and usually book an inside. The added cost for a balcony usually isn't worth it to us. I am very social, and like to hang out in public on the ship, so the room is just for sleeping and changing. And I love a dark room for sleeping. Life is all about making choices. Very few can afford to have everything, so people spend money on what is most important to them. I did enjoy the one balcony I had, but it isn't a big deal not to have one. All I have to do is leave the room to find a lovely balcony.

Plus flooding would normally start below the waterline and work up which would affect higher decks last.

There are inside cabins up on the higher decks too on some ships :) Freedom of the Seas has inside cabins on deck 9 and 10.

We always book inside cabins now as we spent so little time in the cabins is is just not worth us paying the extra . Our rooms are used for showering , changing and sleeping in and that is it . Just got back from a week on the epic in an inside room and it was gorgeous and if course pitch dark at night which is always another bonus !!!

I am intrigued by the new virtual balcony insides and can't wait to see one of the floor to ceiling realtime outside view portholes on the new Quantum though!

Also very interested in these too :) The only thing is, on the cruises Ive looked at on Quantum there is very little price difference between an inside and a balcony!

I REALLY hope FL gets one of these new ships!