Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

I know people may not want to think about it but if an emergency happens...

Which is one of the reasons I choose high deck with balcony.

I figure I can jump/dive off a lot easier.

Plus flooding would normally start below the waterline and work up

which would affect higher decks last.

As one who also harbors such dark-possibility thoughts

I must agree with you!

When I book lower deck insides

I do my best to select a cabin close to the main central stairwell

bearing in mind where the nearest exits are on decks immediately above.

Also..

Wife and I now carry small LED flashlights with us:

one for her, one for me! On wrist lanyards.

Better to have it and not-need-it, than need it and not-have-it. ;)

CrankLight-316.jpg

We have been on 5 cruises so far and have #6 & #7 booked. All are inside cabins. Some have been on deck 2 and some have been on deck 9, but all inside.

For us its a financial decision.

Inside Cabins = More Cruises

Inside Cabins = Better Excursions

Inside Cabins = More 'Drinks of the Day'

Inside Cabins = Did I mention More Cruises?? :D

We spend very little time in our cabin. It's basically sleeping and showering as we like being up on deck.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and enjoy your cruise. Don't worry about the cabin as it will give you the basics that you will need.

We always stay in an inside cabin. The reason is cost, being that cruising during the summer in the med, with 4 people is not cheap, and upgrading to a balcony adds a good few thousand pounds onto the cost. Even an oceanview cabin slaps a large amount extra on.

The thing is though, we don't mind it. We spend very little time at all in our cabin, and use it for sleeping and getting ready for dinner. During the day we will be out on the pool deck sunbathing, doing other activities or exploring when in port, and on a night we will be at dinner, then in the theater or in a bar/lounge. We don't feel the need to pay for a balcony we wouldn't use all that much.

I had a porthole (small round window) cabin on each of my cruises so far. I loved it, especially since Carnival classifies them as insides and prices them accordingly. I always got woken up in the morning from the way the ship was rocking while pulling into ports. It was nice to be able to prop myself up on the elbow and see land, as well as know what time it is. (Clocks be damned, nothing can replace a natural cue.) I've come to realize that I need some sort of window, even a really small one. Being in a dark box is too disorienting: you don't know where you are or what time it is unless you rely on technology. Not that it's bad, but it's not the same as having a view outside.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I know people may not want to think about it but if an emergency happens...

Which is one of the reasons I choose high deck with balcony.

I figure I can jump/dive off a lot easier. Plus flooding would normally start below the waterline and work up which would affect higher decks last.

You could seriously hurt yourself jumping off a balcony at that height. The ship will not sink fast enough for you not to be able to get to the lifeboat deck.

As others have said, ships have insides on higher decks. On Independence I have stayed inside on deck 9 and 10, and have a deck 9 inside booked for July.

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We too choose to book inside cabins. My husband cannot sleep with any light (we blacked out our bedroom window, put up day sleeper blinds and drapes at home) so an inside is best for us. They are small to be sure but we sleep/bathe/change clothes there only so it isn't an issue for us.

We have had insides, outsides, balcony and a JS. Never stayed in a full suite. We cruise for the itinerary. Our two favorite cruises were the Panama Canal and Alaska. Both of those were in an inside.

We use our cabin differently depending on the cruise. When we had the JS or balcony we spent more time in the cabin. I like to read and look at the ocean. I usually go to the open promenade deck or the Viking Crown Lounge [depending on weather].

When we have an inside or outside [about the same size] we spend more time in the common areas of the ship. We actually fell we have more of the ship experience that way.

Yes, $$ play a big role in our choice.

I see only two ways to cruise (all or nothing):

First is book the best balcony cabin you can afford. This is great, but you really have to spend lots of time there to make it worth while. Otherwise, you paid all that extra money for really nothing.

Second is book the cheapest cave and go there only to sleep. Seriously, shower at the gym/spa, hang out at the pool deck and lounges. Done right, you can easily cruise two or three times as often like this.

I've cruised in balcony, promenade and inside. I do prefer a balcony but I simply cannot afford to cruise now as a solo in a balcony. My first inside was on Freedom earlier this year and it was absolutely fine. I don't 'hang out' in my room but I'm out and about. The room was comfortable and well located. My next cruises are all booked as insides and that's not even on my list of concerns.... where to eat on Oasis is though!! ;)

I have cruised inside, oceanview, promenade and balcony and my favorite was the promenade. Being a solo traveller it will be inside cabins where I am perfectly happy. Even with balcony discount as a solo they are most times too expensive. Found I never used the balcony so it is a waste of money for me.

Insides are just fine with us too. We have had both an inside and an extended balcony room. While the extended balcony was great, we still barely spent enough time in our room to justify it.

We will be booking another cruise in the next couple of days. Looks like we are going to an oceanview gty as its the same price as an interior gty currently on the sailing we are considering!

I pick inside vs. ocean view cabins based on the itinerary. If it is a caribbean cruise with more than 1 sea day then it is inside for me. If it is a very port intensive cruise (Europe or Southern Caribbean) then I'll spring for the ocean view so I can wake up and look outside and see the port and get excited.

We have had insides, outsides, balcony and a JS. Never stayed in a full suite. We cruise for the itinerary. Our two favorite cruises were the Panama Canal and Alaska. Both of those were in an inside.

We use our cabin differently depending on the cruise. When we had the JS or balcony we spent more time in the cabin. I like to read and look at the ocean. I usually go to the open promenade deck or the Viking Crown Lounge [depending on weather].

When we have an inside or outside [about the same size] we spend more time in the common areas of the ship. We actually fell we have more of the ship experience that way.

Yes, $$ play a big role in our choice.

Amazing you posted just what I was going to. Great minds must think alike!:eek:

Wife and I now carry small LED flashlights with us:

one for her, one for me! On wrist lanyards.

Better to have it and not-need-it, than need it and not-have-it.

The irony of an Energizer-branded flashlight that never needs batteries makes me laugh, though... :D

Cheaper? Maybe. But with a little booking strategy (when and where) and the C&A balcony discount, we have actually come out better on a few of our balcony cruises than if we had booked an inside. Just sayin....one more reason to pursue status with RCCL. And then add in the Diamond lounge drinks and you have saved around $500 to $600 in our case...and we are not huge drinkers, just a couple or so per day.

Started my 1st cruise in an Oceanview and now I love my balcony cabins. Got hooked from my last cruise! A lot say they don't spend a lot of time on there to justify the cost, but we do. I only cruise once a year or every other year, so when I do I don't mind splurging for a balcony. My next two cruise are booked in a balcony cabin. When I go to land resorts I also get an Ocean View Room. They cost more but I love thwe view.

We have breakfast out there in the mornings when pulling into ports, On seas days sometime I like to get away from the crowds for a while and hang out there and just watch the ocean go by while sipping a couple of brews. Hang out there when pulling out of the ports in the evening before getting ready for dinner and after a long day I sit out there late at night to chill out and watch the moon and the stars before turning in and will sometimes doze off out there and have to wake up and go get in the bed. So yes ours get plenty of use and I love it! :cool:

I'm happy with having an inside cabin too, but as I mentioned earlier, being on Deck 2, I'm now worried about engine noise.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be able to put my mind at ease?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Not to worry. We had a deck two inside almost all the way aft on the Vision and had no noise issues at all. We do insides to save money for excursions and such. Have had ov and balcony and we just don't spend enough time in the room to warrant the extra expense.

I've cruised in inside, oceanview and balcony cabins. And of course, if all pricing was the same, I'd choose the balcony. But unlike the folks that say if they can't have a balcony they won't cruise, I'll take whatever I can get to get me on the ship. Just recently returned from an 11 night Hawaii Transpacific cruise and we sailed in an inside. The balconies were just way more than I wanted to spend at over $4000 minimum. But by going with the inside I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life in visiting Hawaii. If I had chosen balcony or nothing I would have missed out on something wonderful.

I'm very glad that we're flexible like that, otherwise there's so many places I wouldn't have seen in my life.

Since my husband passed, I now always get an inside by myself because I love having the cabin to myself! I also cannot sleep when there is any light so the darkness is great. I do have to make sure I have a wake up call each morning or I would sleep until noon...........:eek: I never really spend any time in the cabin because I want to be out and about and that was true when we had balcony cabins. plus the cost also factors in a lot as I loved to cruise.

The one time we booked a balcony cabin we rarely used the balcony. Figured my wife would drink coffee on it and read but she never did. I used it to dry off my scuba stuff only.

We do need an outside window at least. My wife won't try an inside cabin.

But unlike the folks that say if they can't have a balcony they won't cruise, I'll take whatever I can get to get me on the ship. .

Same here :) I want the cheapest fare that gets me on the ship. No longer are the days of Titanic, at least on RCI anyway, where us steerage passengers arent allowed access to certain places :D well except for Concierge or the Diamond lounge of course for me anyway.

I have the same amenities and service available in my inside cabin as a balcony cabin passenger has for usually much less $$$.

All of the cabins i have had so far have plenty of room. As long as there is working shower and toilet and a comfortable bed, Im good! I dont even need a TV!

We do need an outside window at least. My wife won't try an inside cabin.

Totally understandable! A window is nice! The funny thing with me is, out of the RCI cruises Ive been on so far, Ive had one deck 9 SOV on Monarch, a deck 4 OV on Radiance and a deck 8 Promenade on Freedom and the curtains stayed closed 90% of the time! :o

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

We often book inside cabins because:

1. More cruises because of lower costs. Two cruises are worth more to us than one with suite perks.

2. Low midship cabin = less motion and noise.

3. Better for sleeping. You can use bridge cam channel if you want to see if sun is up, or get a wake up call.

4. Sailing from NYC or Bayonne = less balcony days depending on time of year or itinerary. If you can't use the balcony, why buy it?

5. Can get separate cabin for us when traveling with DDs. :) (they don't want to share a cabin with us either)

If it's just the two of us, sometimes we'll splurge on a balcony, but only on warm weather cruises.

Inside users aren't the line's favorite customers, but they take our money anyway. :)

We have cruised in several different types of cabins including a GS on Freedom, but we prefer the insides. They are nice & dark and give us the best sleep we have all year. Location of cabin - like what is on the decks above and below the cabin - is far more important to me than the type. FWIW, I have had better room stewards in my inside cabins than we had for the GS or Concierge level on Celebrity (the best being in our tiny inside on the Monarch!) Never had bad service but wanted to convey we have never been treated as "second class citizens" due to the type of cabin we've had.

I have been on over 40 cruises and the majority of the time, I have had an inside cabin. I like the darkness when I am trying to sleep. The least bit of light awakens me. I would not take one on the lower couple of decks because of the engine noise. I like to be on deck 6 or 7. When we did have a balcony, we hardly used it. It is an added bonus that it is usually cheaper. I don't cruise to sit in my cabin. If I am up, I like to be out meeting new people, enjoying the view from both sides of the ship, and participating in the various activities. I know many book a balcony because they need the time together in peace and quiet, to sit out and read and many legitimate reasons. All personal preference.

What engine noise? I have stayed on the lowest cabin deck on several ships and never heard the engines that are located several decks below the lowest passenger deck.