Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

Our first cruise was on OV from there we moved and stayed with Balcony cabins, I love waking up and seeing a bit of the ocean thru the partially open curtains. We did splurge next year for our first Australian/NZ trip for a JS, but will probably settle back to a regular balcony cabin.

Early risers here...we prefer the quiet time in the wee hours to see the sun come up over the water when the whole ship is still asleep.

We never rule out insides though, as we've done some pretty remarkable pricing for those, but after inside Mariner in April, we both agreed we just need the balcony view for those sunrises and sunsets with a glass of wine in future!

Same for me!

We started in a balcony cabin, then went to a Jr. Suite, Grand Suite, Crown Loft Suite, back to a Jr. Suite and the last cruise we opted for a PR cabin to save money and while it was a very nice cabin, I will have to say, NEVER AGAIN. Two drawbacks were, no tub and no balcony to put wet rash guards, board shorts and shorty wet suits on. So, every morning when we got up to head to the Flowrider, we were putting wet and very cold wet suits back on (our cruise in March on the IOS was VERY windy and cold the first 4 days, brrrrrrrr, we ended up renting wetsuits from the dive shop). Raptor's DW here and I really do not like showers so a tub is a must have for me :D It is a bit more expensive but for us, well worth the cost :p

I'm happy with having an inside cabin too, but as I mentioned earlier, being on Deck 2, I'm now worried about engine noise.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be able to put my mind at ease?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Personally I would move up to at least the 4th floor if the cost is not much. It gets you closer to the action and away from the noise of the engines and crew and boarding passengers. JMOHO.

Mike

My wife and I made the decision that we would not cruise without a balcony. Definitely not an inside, probably not an outside...we need a balcony. Her and I prefer time to ourselves, and aren't the people who view the room as someplace to crash and nothing else; rather, we're the type that view it as a place to relax, read on the balcony, watch the world go by from our bedroom. For that reason, if we couldn't do a balcony, we wouldn't be going. Simple as that.

We have only stayed in insides. I quite like them as I am a poor sleeper and I do fine the darkness helps me some. As others have stated, we don't spend much time in the cabin. If I need a sunshine fix I can be outside in a very short time.

As long as I can find the light switch I am good to go.

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

There is NO connection to the sea in an inside cabin..you have basically a broom closet..your connection is to 4 walls...would you book a hotel room without a window? What's the point of being on a ship if you can't actually SEE the sea passing your stateroom? I have done all: inside ( never again!), outside window, balcony and Junior/ Mini Suite..There is NOTHING like getting up in the morning, opening those curtains, and walking onto you PRIVATE verandah!! Seeing the beautiful ocean & sky, the waves and you can SMELL the salt air and FEEL the sea...are you kidding? What do you see EVERYTIME you walk into that broom closet? 4 walls? Darkness and no link to the romantic ambiance of the seas? And BTW, there is no sunshine coming in the morning if you close your curtains..and also, falling asleep to the waves and sounds of the ocean are truly soothing and mesmerizing...if it's JUST the $$$, FINE...ANYTHING ELSE, if you think you would prefer an inside cabin to a balcony, you should have an MRI...cruising is about luxury, and it is a vacation afterall, why not treat yourself to a balcony cabin or even a suite? Don't be cheap on your vacation..be cheap at home and save- that's what my Dad told me and I never skimp on vacations ( within reason)...just MHO...

Big Al

I am a first time cruiser too, but chose an inside cabin near the CARD ROOM and the LIBRARY on Deck 7 of Vision of the Seas.

That way I can step out of my cabin and walk a couple of steps to some shared space with big windows.

Looks like this is one of the last times this can be done on the Vision. When it goes in for refurb this fall, the Library and the Card Room will be taken out to add more outside rooms.

As I do not see any advantage of an ocean view, got one once because of an upgrade, for me it would be balcony or inside. Balcony with solo supplement is above my limit so I stick with the inside and try to do two cruises a year instead.

It all depends on the budget.

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! When we stayed in an inside cabin once, I coudn't stand going back to my jail cell..but now that we only book balconies, we can't WAIT to get to our cabin..as soon as we walk in there's the sunshine!! And then you open those doors and WOW- the sea, or a beautiful port!! Remember, 35-40% of your time is IN YOUR CABIN...why not enjoy it? If you've never had breakfast brought to your balcony on a cruise ( especially on a sea day!!), you are missing a piece of heaven!! My wife & I make it a point to have breakfast on the balcony at least once on our cruises ( AND IT'S FREE!!)...how about seeing the moonlight and stars from your PRIVATE verandah...yes, I know some of you will say, "you can see it from other areas on the ship"..true, but it's not your private sanctuary, and for sure, it's not nearly as romantic when you're out there with dozens of other people and the noise, etc...

I am going to be another additon to the Insider Club :D. The only time we didn't enjoy our inside cabin is when we made the mistake of booking one under the pool. We both loved the coziness, darkness and quiet. Like other posters we sleep better on the inside. When we were on the Allure we did find that we might have enjoyed a balcony a bit more because of the warmer weather, so we booked one on the Navigator. It was nice I will admit but when it came time to book our next cruise - back to inside we went. As someone said a few pages ago - I would rather spend less and cruise more :)

Enjoy!!!

On our 20 plus cruises we've only once not had an inside cabin. They are perfectly fine. We don't use our room other than to shower and sleep. And we really enjoy the pitch blackness anytime you want to take a snooze. They are only marginally samller than your average balcony cabin. Add in the cost savings, and we've probably been on 3 or 4 additional cruises on the savings.

I guess it depends on what you do on the ship. For us, it's just being on the ship and enjoying the ocean. We don't do many of the organized activities. Relaxing on our balcony, watching the ocean go by is a high point of our cruise. First cruise of 8 was in an ocean view. Just felt like something was missing. Second cruise.. a balcony. And it's been balcony ever since. We cruise once a year, or every other year, so the extra expense is not significant. Now if we were out of our cabin from morning to midnight, just coming in to change clothes, it might be a different story. So the answer is personal. Some people spend a lot of time in their cabin and benefit greatly from a balcony. Others are rarely there and thus love the savings and coziness of an interior. I can't say for certain, but if all I could afford was an interior, I might opt for a different vacation since th balcony is a large part of my enjoyment. I learned.. never say never, but that's how I feel now.

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! ...

I totally disagree with you. I can guarantee you the inside cabin I stayed in was at LEAST 1.5 X (or maybe more) the size of your balcony cabin and didnt feel like a "jail cell" or "broom closet" at all . I have yet to experience a "crummy" cabin on ANY ship!

If you like balcony cabins and wont cruise without them then fine but there ARE those of us that are just as happy in a inside cabin or oceanview. Breakfast on the balcony interests me not in the least and far as the "romance" goes, I either cruise with a friend or my mom so no need for romance. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there truly are cruisers that ONLY use their cabin to shower and sleep. I cant tell you how many times ive read on here where inside cruisers got a balcony but realized it was a waste because they didnt use it. Some of us dont go on cruises to be huddled up in a small cabin or on a small balcony.

As far as your percentage goes, its more like about +/- 25% for me.

I had the chance to hang out in a owners suite on Radiance for as long as I wanted to on one cruise. It had a nice balcony. Meh, I felt like I was missing stuff going on in other places of the ship. Beautiful cabin but just wasnt for me.

To each their own I say. Its a personal choice IMO.

Edited by ryano

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! When we stayed in an inside cabin once, I coudn't stand going back to my jail cell..but now that we only book balconies, we can't WAIT to get to our cabin..as soon as we walk in there's the sunshine!! And then you open those doors and WOW- the sea, or a beautiful port!! Remember, 35-40% of your time is IN YOUR CABIN...why not enjoy it? If you've never had breakfast brought to your balcony on a cruise ( especially on a sea day!!), you are missing a piece of heaven!! My wife & I make it a point to have breakfast on the balcony at least once on our cruises ( AND IT'S FREE!!)...how about seeing the moonlight and stars from your PRIVATE verandah...yes, I know some of you will say, "you can see it from other areas on the ship"..true, but it's not your private sanctuary, and for sure, it's not nearly as romantic when you're out there with dozens of other people and the noise, etc...

Not completely true for me. I've had all types of cabins and find I spend just about as much time in a balcony cabin as I do in an inside. I can't wait to get out of my cabin and much prefer the panoramic view up on deck. I don't care for room service either, so not everyone gets as much out of a balcony as some do.

My wife and I made the decision that we would not cruise without a balcony. Definitely not an inside, probably not an outside...we need a balcony. Her and I prefer time to ourselves, and aren't the people who view the room as someplace to crash and nothing else; rather, we're the type that view it as a place to relax, read on the balcony, watch the world go by from our bedroom. For that reason, if we couldn't do a balcony, we wouldn't be going. Simple as that.

This is our feelings exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. Sleeping in pitch black would be my idea of a nightmare and I love being able to relax on the balcony and watch the world go by!

I've spoiled myself with a few balconies, and that would be my first choice. But my upcoming Vision cruise is an inside on deck 3 because the price was wonderful.

Traveling alone, I usually get an inside because of cost, but I've never felt claustrophobic in one on any ship. (Although I think I might in NCL Epic's 100-sq-ft single cabins. That's tiny!)

I find insides cozy, but laid out like pricier cabins.

The only time I ever had a problem with ship's noise was in a far forward outside cabin on a low deck on Majesty of the Seas (assigned by guarantee). In every port I heard the deafening sound of the anchor chain.

For me, an oceanview is like someone else said, "a tease." Either let me be out there with the ocean, or don't let me see it.

Here's a tip I don't think anybody has mentioned. Turn on your TV to the bridge cam. It's like a virtual porthole. At night, the screen is pitch-black so you can leave the TV on, and it lightens as the sun comes up so you can check it to see if it's daylight. You're getting the same view as the bridge officers. If there's music playing, mute it.

This is our feelings exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. Sleeping in pitch black would be my idea of a nightmare and I love being able to relax on the balcony and watch the world go by!

And that's what makes us humans unique -- I embrace how we all enjoy different experiences doing the same thing. On another post some of us said how we enjoyed exploring the ships looking at the wonderful artwork, another cruiser said they wouldn't waste a second doing that if it took away from deck time. Once again variety is the spice of life.

Thank goodness we are not all alike. I have never seen a cruise ship without any inside cabins. Unless it is one of the smaller ships. So someone has to take the inside. Count me in. I would rather cruise more often then pay for a balcony or above. It is my choice. To each their own. I would never down anyone for what they can afford or not afford. At least they are going on a cruise.

Gwen :)

Sorry, Inside=Ewwwww.

If I don't have a balcony I won't cruise. Who wants to sit in a small dark box with no fresh air? Not my idea of a vacay at all. But if you like it, more power to you!! I wish I had 'cheap' tastes, but alas, I never have. I need to be able to step outside and feel the wind, sitting in a windowless box would freak me out!

Cheaper? Maybe. But with a little booking strategy (when and where) and the C&A balcony discount, we have actually come out better on a few of our balcony cruises than if we had booked an inside. Just sayin....one more reason to pursue status with RCCL. And then add in the Diamond lounge drinks and you have saved around $500 to $600 in our case...and we are not huge drinkers, just a couple or so per day.

When I reach the C&A balcony discount level, I may very well agree.

I'm a balcony cruiser. One of my favorite things in the world is stepping out onto the balcony in the morning to watch the ship dock into a new port. I would hate to have to get dressed to do that. Same at night... sitting out in my jammies and listening to the waves makes the expense worth it.

That said, I would do an inside if it meant I could cruise more often, but I don't see that happening, so I want the light and waves. Dh, on the other hand, is solidly opposed to an indoor cabin. :( Funny, actually, since he is the one who leaves all the blinds pulled around the house, whereas the first thing I do in the morning is open every blind to let in the light!

For the record, my DH is a total baby about having a dark room to sleep in (we even have ugly light-blocking shades in our room - ugh), but the balcony room does not bother him at all. Those curtains block out EVERYTHING when pulled closed.