Gluten Free on Oasis of the Seas?

What are my options for dining on Oasis of the Seas if I have a gluten allergy? I have called and notified RC of my allergy and have been assured that I will be fine. I have been told that before and gone hungry because I listened to what I was told by management . Is there anything that I need to know to ensure I don't get sick on my cruise or go hungry?

Hi Tami

Definitely interested in hearing the feedback that the forum has to offer on this topic. As far as I know, first step is to talk to the matre d the day you embark. I have hard wonderful things about how accommodating RCI is on gluten free now so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Also anyone have gluten free speciality restaurant reccomendations?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I've not sailed GF on Oasis.... yet.... so my experience is from other ships.

Definitely make your server in the Main Dining Room aware that you are GF and also the Head Waiter. There will be items on the menu that are labelled accordingly and if, as happens to me, you are offered the next day menu you can request for something not labelled as GF to be prepared for you (if possible). GF pasta is available.

I do know that the Cupcake Cupboard will make GF cupcakes.

As far as the specialty restaurants are concerned you do need to let them know when booking on board that you are GF..... if you reserve online let them know asap after boarding. Hopefully they will come up with specific choices for you.

GF pizza from Sorrento's is wonderful. Again you will need to request it and it will be made specially.

Hi Norberts!

When you say request it you mean prior to leaving? I am embarking tomorrow. I did let the speciality needs group know as well as have it notated on my reservation. My plan is go straight to the MDR and talk to them first. Does sorrentos always have the pizza available? Also- do you know about the bread options like buns for the burgers or bread in the MDR?

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Hi Norberts!

When you say request it you mean prior to leaving? I am embarking tomorrow. I did let the speciality needs group know as well as have it notated on my reservation. My plan is go straight to the MDR and talk to them first. Does sorrentos always have the pizza available? Also- do you know about the bread options like buns for the burgers or bread in the MDR?

Thanks for your feedback!!!

You will not go hungry!

The GF pizza is made to order..... seriously good.

There is GF bread in MDR.... can be variable but if they are on the ball you should have different bread each day. Johnny Rockets will have something but may need warning.... to be honest I wasn't impressed on Adventure. They do have GF buns to go with sliders when lunch is served in the MDR (sea days only). I heartily recommend the Tutti salad bar in the MDR whether you are GF or not.... be sure to ask the servers which dressings are GF. You can get GF pancakes at breakfast in the MDR as well as GF french toast..... and GF muffins which are great to get wrapped to take away for snacking later!

Have a word with a chef when eating in the buffet..... only a chef really knows what is GF.

Sliders....

IMG_1689.jpg

My wife is Celiac. On our cruise on the Freedom in 2012 she was taken care of better than on any Ship we have been on. RCCL has a dedecated Chef and 'clean' area of the kitchen. There were over 280 special diet pax on our sailing. When you 1st get on Ship, go to the MDR and let them know. We did the pre-cruise info and they were ready for her. 1st cruise in 25 years that she did not get sick on.

Wow those look great. Thanks for the suggestions Norbert's! We are really excited. One last question - on your pic I saw French fries, do we know if they are fried in a separate fryer or is this something that depends on the ship?

Thanks again for all your suggestions! Can't wait for the cruise!

Fries : they were from Freedom..... as previously stated the Head Chef has got his act together in a big way.... my blog has loads of info about my experience earlier this year.... those fries were prepared for me too....

Pic from Freedom behind the scenes tour.

IMG_1714.jpg

Hey Norbert's!

One last question! Any advice on the drinks on ship that are GF?

'fraid not. I drink Pimm's when I can get it and revert to Mudslides when I can't!! No idea with regards to their GF content but they don't disagree with me..... !!! I know some chocolate contains gluten but it seems I can tolerate small amounts..... thank goodness....

Thanks for all of the information! What about going to windjammer's? Do they have fruit and other options for GF? I typically stay away from places like this for fear of cross contamination.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I've not sailed GF on Oasis.... yet.... so my experience is from other ships.

Definitely make your server in the Main Dining Room aware that you are GF and also the Head Waiter. There will be items on the menu that are labelled accordingly and if, as happens to me, you are offered the next day menu you can request for something not labelled as GF to be prepared for you (if possible). GF pasta is available.

I do know that the Cupcake Cupboard will make GF cupcakes.

As far as the specialty restaurants are concerned you do need to let them know when booking on board that you are GF..... if you reserve online let them know asap after boarding. Hopefully they will come up with specific choices for you.

GF pizza from Sorrento's is wonderful. Again you will need to request it and it will be made specially.

Just returned from the Allure, and have also sailed the Oasis.

RCCL has established a wonderful job of being sensitive to the Gluten Free passengers needs. The pizza in Sorrentos is better than the normal pizza's and is baked to order. The hotdog and hamburger buns available on the ship in the Windjammer or Doghouse, or Jonny Rockets ON REQUEST, are great. The MDR has at least three types of breads, as well as HOT ROLLS, ON REQUEST, The French fries, to be gluten free, need to be special request also, as the normal French fries are cross contaminated in the oil cooking I am told. The menus are now reflecting gluten free options, but be sure to talk with the Matre De, head waiter, and waiter about your sensitivity so they are aware, and they will do their upmost to take care of you. Gluten free pancakes in MDR and French toast, ON REQUEST also.

RCCL has started to also add gluten free beer in the ships that have pubs on board.

When going to the Windjammer, if you catch a chef, they will tell you specifically what is safe to eat. I try to be the first to go there, as the fruit and veggies are normally just put out and when there hasn't been anyone taking from the trays yet, are less likely to have someone using tongs that have been used for other items that may have gluten in them. The salad dressings can be a issue, but the chef can advise you on what is safe.

Archived