NCL Under 3 Zoo

mhite2289

Does anyone have any recent experience with the NCL under 3 zoo program? If so, can you comment on the activities that your child/ren participated in and also what toys were available for the child/ren to play with. How would you rate your experience with the overall program? That in advance for any insight that you can provide. We are looking to take 2 yo DD and 15 mo old DS on a 7 day cruise with NCL.

We took our then 22 month old dd on a cruise over New Year's. Then it was the under "2" zoo. Some of the program were in the afternoon when she was sleeping so we didn't go. We did go to organic painting. It was paint made with fruit and veggies. They put out tarps and the kids had large brushes and paper. It was really messy. One kid just had diapers on and that was probably the way to go. My dd doesn't like getting dirty so she didn't have much fun on that one.

You didn't mention which ship you're on. We were on the Pearl and they had a little kiddy pool just before you walk into the playroom. There weren't supposed to be diapered kids in the pool, but that's all that was in the kids pool. There was only about 4-6" of water and it looked ok on the first pool day but on the last it was pretty gross. The toy room was just a small area with a padded floor and a bunch of toys. It was fun for a bit because we could sit by the window seat and she could just run around without us chasing her. The toys ranged from balls to a electronic guitar to light up/push the button/noise making gizmos. It was a good variety.

You can't leave the kids with NCL at that age and frankly I'm sure my dd wouldn't have stayed without us anyway. For the most part we just ran around the ship and went to the beach on port days. I'd try any of the programs they have, but wouldn't depend on them for too much of a diversion.

We had a great time with our dd and are planning another cruise with her next March. Have a good time!

We took our (then) 15 month old on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Pearl, and our (then) 18 month old on an 11 day Med cruise on the Jade in March, and now (20) month old on a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Jewel in May. So - we have very recent experiences with the UTZ.

For whatever reason, the Med cruise had a much better attendance, usually 4-6 kids, sometimes more. The most we ever saw at the UTZ on the Jewel was 2 kids, including our own. On the Jewel sailing there were 20 children under three but I guess they chose not to attend.

As mentioned above, the activities are generally reading a story, and then doing painting or "crayons" to colour a character from the story or to illustrate something from the story.

They also have "mini maestros" where there is music and playing with musical instruments. Also a child exercise/dance class.

On the Pearl the UTZ (well, then under TWO zoo) events were held in the play area behind the wading pool. On the Jade, they were all held in one of the conference rooms near the theatre (probably the best space). On the Jewel, they were held in one of the windowless rooms down the hall from the arcade.

The Play areas on the Jade and Pearl were the nice windowed area behind the wading pool. Lots of places to sit and run around. On the Jewel the play area is in the same place, but it's all been walled in as a computer lab so the play area is on the floor in front of the computer screens. Very lame. Usual assortment of riding, pushing and sound-making toys. Some duplo, a few books, etc.

In reality, the UTZ "events" last for about 10-15 minutes each, though they are scheduled for an hour. Depends on how many people show up. We found on both the Pearl and the Jade, the whole thing tended to be more for the parents. It's a nice place to meet and socialize with people who have kids the same age as your own. Typical parent stuff.

I found the "instructors" on the Jewel and Pearl quite poor. The Jade's were somewhat better. The others just seemed ....awkward with kids that age.

The organic veggie paints and crayons are horrible, but they are also, well, organic. They don't colour well at all - I can barely get those crayons to make any colour, let alone my 20 month old doing it. They should look at the brand and maybe play-test them.

Any other questions?

We went on the Spirit this spring with our then 8 month old son. He loved the playroom! :D They had new big toys out for every day of the week, and we would go there for 30 minutes between feedings and naps on sea days so that he could play.

They usually had one messy activity and one up beat activity a day, most of which were a lot of fun (to us parents anyway, but little munchkin seemed to enjoy it too).

The finger painting with veggie-colours and spaghetti painting was a bit hit!

Archived