Seattle Marriott Waterfront to Vashon

WVBill

DW and I return from cruise on Sunday 6/23. We're staying one night at the Marriott Waterfront.

DW is a quilter and wants to visit a quilt shop on Vashon Island on Sunday (they are open).

I know there is a ferry between Fauntleroy and Vashon on Sunday.

Anyone know the cost for a taxi from the hotel to the ferry?

Also anyone know if there is taxi service on Vashon on Sunday?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vashon Island is a laid back place and still kind of rural. Taxi's? You might telephone the quilt shop regarding transportation from the ferry dock to the shop. You'd be better off renting a car and doing this trip on your own. Vashon Island is a lovely place to explore - wonderful lunch spots, galleries, waterfront parks, and "get away from it all" ambiance.

I have no idea if there is any taxi service in Vashon, but it would most likely cost you upwards of $40 each way just to the Fauntleroy dock, and at least $15 - $20 each way on the island, so you're almost certainly looking at close to a hundred bucks or more for the day.

I can't imagine a rental car for a day wouldn't be cheaper, and I know for an absolute fact that it would be far more pleasant. Vashon is gorgeous, but without a car you're really stuck - it's a very long island with most of the commercial (and scenic) interest close to the middle, so one really needs a car.

If you had the time and the interest, Vashon can be part of a very fun day trip. Cross over from Fauntleroy then drive down to Vashon Center and farther to Quartermaster Harbor and the cute little town of Burton. Then continue south to the Talequah ferry that crosses to Ruston, a very interesting historic district of Tacoma (lost of cafes and interesting shops.) Then drive back along Commencement Bay to downtown Tacoma, maybe stop at the Tacoma Art Museum or the Museum of Glass, then back to Seattle on I-5, 40 min. It's a great town-island-country day.

Contact flatrateforhire.com for an estimate. Based on their web site the fare looks to be about $20 each way. It's about a 20 minute drive.

Or you could take a bus to Fauntleroy:

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin.pl

This is from the Vashon Chamber of Commerce so I assume it's valid:

<< CALL VASHON TAXI - 206-434-1121 >>

Archived