RCCL dinner dresscode

I keep reading RCCL has an "informal" night and then I read other posts that say no they don't. then I read it depends on the class of ship you are on. So I would like to ask recent Mariner of the Seas cruisers what the dinner dresscodes were for the week? Also is there a dresscode for Portofinos or Chops? I will be doing eastern carib. in the fall and so would like to know what clothing I should pack.

The upscale specialty restaurants should be viewed like a supper club. Men should wear at least a sport coat or blazer. On carnival it's even stated on the reservation receipt. Also not appropriate for children.

I keep reading RCCL has an "informal" night and then I read other posts that say no they don't. then I read it depends on the class of ship you are on. So I would like to ask recent Mariner of the Seas cruisers what the dinner dresscodes were for the week? Also is there a dresscode for Portofinos or Chops? I will be doing eastern carib. in the fall and so would like to know what clothing I should pack.

I haven't cruised on the Mariner of the Seas but you are correct. There is a lot of confusion about the smart casual nights on RCCL. On my last two cruises on the Rhapsody there were only 5 casual nights and 2 formal nights. Hopefully someone who has cruised on the Mariner recently will be able to help you.

You've posted here 1700 times and you have no idea of the dress codes? LOL

Sorry don't mean to be rude, but like every other thread here is about dress codes. Use the convenient search function.

Goodness what is YOUR problem? I hope you feel better. I do post alot on the messageboards at cruisecritic as I enjoy talking about cruiszing- but not at RCCL messageboard as I have not been on a RCCL cruise since 2001.

Actually the posts I have read CONFLICTING STATEMENTS is in on the fashion board- which is WHY I posted here HOPING someone who RECENTLY cruised Mariner of the Seas can set me straight on this.

Yes I know after NINE CRUISES what is casual and formal and I also understand the definition of informal. WHAT I ASKED was is there an informal night on Mariner of the Seas?

If anyone can nicely reply to me without insulting me I would like to know.

By the way although I have posted over 1700 times I do not believe I have ever asked about informal night on Mariner of the Seas here on the RCCL board.

Goodness what is YOUR problem? I hope you feel better. I do post alot on the messageboards at cruisecritic but not at RCCL messageboard as I have not been on a RCCL cruise since 2001.

Actually the posts I have read this are on the fashion board and I keep reading DIFFERANT things.

Yes I know after NINE CRUISES what is casual and formal and I also understand the definition of informal. WHAT I ASKED was is there an informal night on Mariner of the Seas?

If anyone can nicely reply to me without insulting me I would like to know.

Like I said, I didn't mean to be rude. :o Your question was just unusual for an old-timer. If it's not a formal night, it's an informal night. "Smart Casual" is out the window.

I haven't cruised on the Mariner of the Seas but you are correct. There is a lot of confusion about the smart casual nights on RCCL. On my last two cruises on the Rhapsody there were only 5 casual nights and 2 formal nights. Hopefully someone who has cruised on the Mariner recently will be able to help you.

thank you Kelsie. You understand what I asked.

Why not just ignore all of the opinions on this board, and follow the suggested attire? Seems to me, that would be the easiest.........you know what they say about opinions....;)

Hon I was not looking for "opinions" I WAS asking what the suggested attire is. I guess since all of you want to talk in circles I will just e-mail RCCL and ask them.

I WANT to bring the proper clothing.

We were just off the 5/29 Mariner, they had 2 formal , 1 smart casual and the rest were casual.

Like I said, I didn't mean to be rude. :o Your question was just unusual for an old-timer. If it's not a formal night, it's an informal night. "Smart Casual" is out the window.

Now this is another conflicting statement. I was told informal is the same as semi formal, so dressier then smart casual. Now I KNOW I will just call RCCL and find out from them. Hopefully there I will be told correctly.

By the way- you wonder why I have posted over 1700 times? Maybe THIS is why.

We were just off the 5/29 Mariner, they had 2 formal , 1 smart casual and the rest were casual.

Thanks Ella-you were the person I wanted to get a reply from. You are a recent Mariner cruiser and could give me the info I wanted. You understood what I was asking and you were very nice and polite.

Now this is another conflicting statement. I was told informal is the same as semi formal, so dressier then smart casual. Now I KNOW I will just call RCCL and find out from them. Hopefully there I will be told correctly.

By the way- you wonder why I have posted over 1700 times? Maybe THIS is why.

Informal is not the same as semi formal on RCI and the exact recommendations are posted on their website.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custo...FI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Smart Casual is the code for specialty restaurants aboard the RCI ships that offer them. On a recent Serenade, we were advised of the dress code by the concierge upon booking, then again when the phone was handed to us and the maitre' d reiterated the requirements, then again when they called the afternoon of our reservation to remind us that proper attire - again explained in detail - was required.

We saw no one in either Chops or Portofinos (we dined 3 of 7 nights there) not well dressed. They are most definitely NOT casual restaurants.

It was the same on Adventure.

I was very pleased that RCI was committed to providing a consistently elegant atmosphere in these restaurants.

We will be on the Mariner starting July 3. Our cruise documents states:

Two formal nights

One smart casual night

All other nights are casual

Their definition of these for evenings are:

CASUAL: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; polo shirts and trousers for men.

SMART CASUAL: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

FORMAL: cocktail dresses for women; suites and ties or tuxedos for men.

caviargirl. Thanks for your post. It says it all including the expectation that parents will be expected to guide their children to adhere to the same dress standards as anyone else. There will always be some that want to see how little they can get away with.

When we were on the Mariner last year they had 2 formal, 1 smart casual, and 4 casual dress nights. I packed for 2 smart casual nights as was stated in the paper work, but I guess the captain decided to make a change on his ship. I don't know if it is always this way, but that is what it was on the week of our cruise. Typical 7 night cruise use to be 2 formal, 2 smart casual, and 3 casual dress nights Now it is listed as 2 formal, 1 smart casual, and 4 casual dress nights.

You might not have meant to be rude but I found your post very rude. Maybe it is best to use the ignore button if you can't answer the question asked. Remember if you can't say something nice,say nothing at all.

momofmeg - we were on the 5-22 sailing of the Mariner. We had 2 formal and 5 casual nights. We've done lots of cruises, and I noticed the confusion on "smart casual". Some men wore jackets, some didn't, some women wore casual clothes, some more a bit more dressy (some wore slacks and blouses, while others wore pantsuits or dresses), so I'm glad RCI is trying to do away with "smart casual". I also noticed a distinct trend towards more casual dressing - a number of men were in the dining room at dinner wearing shorts - formerly a definite no-no. These men were not kids, nor young men - most of them were men in their 50's or 60's.

We also had dinner at Portofino's - not one of the gentlemen had a jacket on - but all were dressed neatly and in collared shirts, not shirts without collars.

Hope you have a wonderful time on Mariner - she's a beautiful ship with a great crew!

Rita

You might not have meant to be rude but I found your post very rude. Maybe it is best to use the ignore button if you can't answer the question asked. Remember if you can't say something nice,say nothing at all.

I see you're new here... If you think that was rude, just stick around.;)

Oh for crying out loud. If someone asks a question they probably want the answer.

A lot of this is opinion becaues RCI is not exactly forthcoming. Just dress as you would at a decent restaurant in your home town and you should feel good. I wear dresses I can go out dancing in later and the hubby wears kahki pants with a nice resort style shirt, or a nice Aloha shirt or a solid shirt and sports jacket. He does not wear a tie.

I see you're new here... If you think that was rude, just stick around.;)

Yes to keep posting here we have to develop thick skins don't we? But what I have noticed as an old timer is the smart $%^s are the ones that go away first. When they see they can't get you to leave-they leave. They may try to run me off but I am just stuborn enough that I won't just because of some jerk is trying to run me off. (another reason for over 1700 posts-LOL) Like I told a few if this helps them get stuff out of their system so they don't go out and commit road rage I can take it-maybe I am saving somelse's life by letting them vent on me- who knows?

Well Cavier gal posted what is on RCCL's web site so I will go by that. what I will do is pack something a little nicer for just in case. I don't mind being a little over dressed. I would rather error in that direction.

My last 3 cruises it seemed to me the dress was really downhill-(like 20% or more did not folow the dress code). Two of those were Carnival so I told hubby I was Carnivaled out lets go another line- so we did-we went on Disney and except for Palo's-their supper club the dresscode was largely ignored.

I have also noticed though- it also seems every since our first cruise back in 98 that people are dressing for dinner less and less. Our first cruise was Carnival's worst ship-Tropicale-in fact that thing caught on fire not long after we were on it-but I saw no one not dressed properly for dinner except for the first night. That went for the next several cruises. The first cruise I noticed people in shorts at dinner was Sovereign of the Seas-the 2nd time I cruised her in 2001. It has been downhill every since.

But I for one will continue to do my best to comply with suggested wear. If all the lines abolish the dresscode-so be it- I will not sit around and cry about it and I will still cruise-but I do sort of miss those first few cruises I took back when everyone dressed up.

momofmeg,

You have cruised a lot. Do you eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room, ever? If so, what can you wear? We have never had those two meals in the dining room but I would like to this next cruise. I don't want to have to wear something to go eat breakfast or lunch, other that the outfit I am going to be in for the day- like shorts! :rolleyes:

Yes to keep posting here we have to develop thick skins don't we? But what I have noticed as an old timer is the smart $%^s are the ones that go away first. When they see they can't get you to leave-they leave. They may try to run me off but I am just stuborn enough that I won't just because of some jerk is trying to run me off. (another reason for over 1700 posts-LOL) Like I told a few if this helps them get stuff out of their system so they don't go out and commit road rage I can take it-maybe I am saving somelse's life by letting them vent on me- who knows?

Well Cavier gal posted what is on RCCL's web site so I will go by that. what I will do is pack something a little nicer for just in case. I don't mind being a little over dressed. I would rather error in that direction.

My last 3 cruises it seemed to me the dress was really downhill-(like 20% or more did not folow the dress code). Two of those were Carnival so I told hubby I was Carnivaled out lets go another line- so we did-we went on Disney and except for Palo's-their supper club the dresscode was largely ignored.

I have also noticed though- it also seems every since our first cruise back in 98 that people are dressing for dinner less and less. Our first cruise was Carnival's worst ship-Tropicale-in fact that thing caught on fire not long after we were on it-but I saw no one not dressed properly for dinner except for the first night. That went for the next several cruises. The first cruise I noticed people in shorts at dinner was Sovereign of the Seas-the 2nd time I cruised her in 2001. It has been downhill every since.

But I for one will continue to do my best to comply with suggested wear. If all the lines abolish the dresscode-so be it- I will not sit around and cry about it and I will still cruise-but I do sort of miss those first few cruises I took back when everyone dressed up.

momofmeg,

For the most part, people on RCI do flollow the sugested dress. I'd say about 5-10% did not dress formal/up, and I didn't see many men in Tuxes, but in general, people were dressed up, not in dockers, polo's and the like. There were some that walked through the dining room though that my friend and I rolled our eyes at each other on...:rolleyes:

It's kind of funny though, I was thinking about the Welcome Party, we were in the Promenade, and there were people walking through, who apparently weren't going to be dressing up, and they actually hung their heads and hurried through the Promenade. Like they didn't want to look up and make eye contact with you.

Lovetovacation,

Yes, you may wear shorts or skorts or blue jeans in the dining room for breakfast or lunch. You just cannot wear bathings suits. They usually have a wonderful lunch in the dining room. So go and enjoy and check it out.

Enjoy your cruise

Linda

Archived