Looking for a weight loss/workout buddy!

SusieV

My DH and I have been married 12 years next month best thing I ever did!! We're both designers, although my career of 30 years came to an abrupt halt due to my spine in 2007. I'm considered disabled now for many things I used to be able to do easily. Thankfully I was born an artist and I still have that for myself, I do that for own pleasure on my good days and then during my bad nights :) . God has been very good to me.

Couldn't have children but I have two incredible step children, so I know someday there will be grandchildren and I'll get to experience babies!! Oh the spoiling that going to take place lol!

I love to cook now, never did until I got sick and had to learn how to be creative with the few things I can eat! My husband is incredibly supportive and eats what I eat I loves it!!

I normally just mix up things as I go along when I'm cooking, not paying attention, just doing it to taste !! but for this little group I'm going to now start writing down what I'm doing (starting tonight! ) so that I can share with you to give it a try!!!

Bon Apetite!!!!

I will look forward to those recipes. Life is busy with watching the grandbabies and the ages they are keep me on my toes where I give less thought to my food menus like I should. Maybe I will learn from the both of you. My way of cooking is old school and cook how my wonderful mom use too. Good but not the best for you

So glad to have found this little encouraging group!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most nights we split a piece of halibut!! I cooked it outside on the grill it was easy and didn't stink up the house lol!

But here is what I make that makes most of the fish, and even chicken, taste pretty good around here... my own glaze concoction ! Like I promised last night I took notes how much of everything I put into it.

Normally I don't bother, I just do it from memory, little bit of this little bit of that lol! My husband was impressed that I was being so organized to write something down lol

So here goes my first healthy recipe, (feel free to change it up to you own taste)

In a small bowl, place 2 tablespoons of yellow French's mustard

Add 1 teaspoon hot mustard

Add 1 teaspoon sweet curry powder

Add 1/2 teaspoon chopped ground ginger

Add 1 teaspoon dry dill OR 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill

Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Add 2 tablespoons honey , or more to taste....

Mix very well.... forms a nice glaze for a white fishes and is wonderful on salmon.... The "zing" cooks down lol... heat the leftover sauce & serve as a drizzle on meats, veggies (awesome drizzled on steamed asparagus! )

Just experiment with ingredients to your taste... All are healthy... The honey is a simple sugar that your body can break down its good for you!! it's what creates the glaze effect...

Bon Appetite!! [emoji168][emoji2][emoji151]

that was supposed to say LAST night we split a piece of Halibut, not MOST nights lol!

BUT, we do eat fresh fish at least twice a week. After my big spine surgeries in '03, my neurosurgeon gave me advice and said to eat as much fish as I could. One of the healthiest things I could do he said, aids in healing and bones. I've done it ever since... I know its the truth as I healed perfectly from his surgeries. It also helps keeps weight in check, which is the sweetest thing you can do for your bones!

[emoji6][emoji108]

Hi again Lizz and Debbi my name is Kelly sorry about that. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I should have looked at this yesterday afternoon.

BEFORE I ATE THE CUPCAKE!!!! I walked a mile yesterday morning,the night before and then cheat. I do things right then at times I have no will power.

I have a thyroid problem and the meds I take cause me to gain weight. So it really makes me mad when I fail!! The one thing I am really excited about is this cruise. It isn't until Feb. so if I keep on track I will do it.

Lizz, I can't remember if you mentioned have you been diagnosed with an illness?? What you are going thru is exactly what happened to my mom. As Debbi said just one step at a time. I don't know about you ladies but if I try to look at it in small steps it isn't so overwhelming. Just one pound at a time!!

So in Feb. my DH and I are sailing on the NCL Getaway. We are in one of the Haven Spa Suites. So lots of pampering!! Yeah. I think my favorite part of a cruise is: Watching the sunrise on the balcony with a cup of coffee.

What about you guys??

That glaze sounds very good. Not sure if too much mustard flavor for my husband. When grilling fish do you put right on the grate? Foil? Or a special pan? My problem with fresh fish is making sure it's indeed fresh and where to buy it from. A grocery store like Meijer who may have a larger turnover of fish or a small meat market

Thanks for taking the time to jot it down. I will definitely try it in the next week. I got on the scale this morning again and was down .8. I will take that especially after the "cheating" I have done in the past month

I just need to either get back on the treadmill or start walking by myself until hubby's knee straightens out. He has a doctors appointment tomorrow Enjoy walking the bay and around the marina with him. Not so great at doing things by myself and really not a fan of treadmills. Oh well need to get on with it. Lol

Thanks again. How was the art fair ?

Debbie

Hi Kelly

Good going on your walks. We aren't perfect and temptation gives in. Just gotta try harder the next day and if we don't give in to a special treat here and there, dieting becomes an ugly thing and you can become miserable fast. I would rather take a bite of something that we are craving and get it over with and then get back on track. Just like the dang elephant ear that we get at our cherry festival once a year, had to have a few bites of it and be done until next year. Doesn't help when the hubby went to the counter of concession truck and ordered it with extra sugar where they put on extra butter to accommodate the sugar UGH.

We, too, are cruising in February on Celebrity Equinox. Soooo looking forward to it and a cruise approaching really gave me motivation last year. I have bought two new dresses already that fit more on the snug side so gotta shed some weight. Hoping to find some good clearance deals as well to tuck away until cruise time. One thing nice about Macy's you can return anytime if those clothes are too big by cruise :) or possibly still snug :(

I know meds can really mess you up as far as weight. Pre-diabetic a year ago put some fear in me and when i Iost the 40# I was no longer pre-diabetic this past Spring and was finally under the BMI number for overly obese! The cruise and our annual visit to the doctor for insurance purpose only was a big goal for me this past Spring. I knew what weight I needed to be to fall below the BMI line and therefore did not have to make two phone calls to a "health coach" that is required by the insurance company if considered obese The doctor could not understand my excitement to reach that goal I don't think. Thought talking to a coach would be a good thing. It's not good when your goal was to NOT have to make those calls. Hubby was under it as well. First time since insurance and his job implemented having to make the calls well over 8 years ago. It was a big thing for us. Sorry for the rambling. I need to set another goal like that. It helped!

Debbie

Happy Friday!!

Did you both have a terrific Thursday? How was the art fair? Everyone eat the way you had hoped too ? I know that is your way of life Lizz but I know the both of us have "cheating" issues. Lol. We will overcome I am sure, just a slow process. I did okay and was on the run so a 6" turkey sub was my dinner. Maybe not the best thing but the lowest one in calories

Make anything delish Lizz?

Debbie

Debbie if what was the worst thing you did, you did just fine!! good job!!! Lol!!

I was bad I didn't EAT!!! I wasn't hungry and I was having a nice time at the art fair with a friend of mine! I scrambled 3 eggs with a little naked broccoli slaw mixed in in the micr when I got home... lol that was it for me for the day!!!

But it was a good day !! I physically felt. good enough to walk for a few hours, the weather was gorgeous as was the art, I was in heaven!!

Hurtin this mornin a bit, but will cook my back in that lovely sun soon and feel better [emoji12]

Cheers!!

That doesn't sound like much to eat. How do you quiet the rumblings of your stomach or is yours that well behaved and stays quiet?

Typically what kind of breakfast and lunch do you eat ?

Debbie

I typically don't have rumblings anymore, because of the issues I have with my stomach.. If I do get hungry I'll have a bit of fruit or my favorite is a banana with plain peanut butter!! Dinner is my main meal I eat good and "clean", I cook for my husband and I... I can eat as much as I want in the food groups that I'm allowed. I frequently suffered a condition called SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth). It's real complex so easier to google, but after many boats with it of expensive drugs for hospital stay I was introduced to this diet and for the most part I've been healthy because of it ! It keeps starches, chemicals and complex sugars out of my system, all things that set this sickness off.. occasionally a good round of pain will do it still but for the most part its been under control for almost 2 years. I just have no choice no cheats ever!!! The pain is undescribable, so not worth a trip to the hospital.. No Dr so far has been able to tell me if it will ever go away.

So! I eat ridiculously healthy!! I eat just fresh fruit fresh, vegetables (except starches) fresh meats, fresh fish, aged cheeses, nuts..

I can drink water, coconut water, tea n coffee (with honey, no sugar!) and occasionally white wine!!

You'd be surprised how creative I've gotten within the confines of the foods I'm allowed, the things I've made up to eat! Lol I plan to share some of them with you with me go along!!

It sounds like you are very creative and have adjusted well. Do you go out to eat much and how does it work out for you when cruising ?

Weekends are my hardest. Even though more active we also eat out lots more too

Excited for the weekend. Finally some summer-like weather. Hoping to get out on the boat

Were you able to walk this morning Kelly? I think my goal starting next week is to wake earlier and try to get in at least a 30-45 min walk in. It is 1.1 miles around loop in sub so perfect early morning walk loop

Debbie

Sorry I've been so quiet somehow I lost my connection to cruise critic!!

I hope you guys enjoyed your weekend!! Ours was wonderful, it was sunny and warm and dry.. Sunday my back hurt pretty bad and slowed me down, just slept in a bad position and aggravated it somehow. I got through it and felt a bit better as of yesterday...

started painting with a wonderful small group of ladies, haven't done this in years, absolutely had a wonderful time last night!! I think I found what can keep me from going crazy between now and cruise haha I've drawn and painted since I was old enough to hold a pen but had to stop for a few years when I was very sick with this spine stuff...

I felt on the top of the world last night to be throwing paint around again with a couple wonderful talented ladies that have been thru similar lives

Glad to be back! [emoji4]

Good morning!

I wondered what happened to you. Glad it was a technical problem and nothing personal or physical. Sorry about the aching back. I know how out of whack I can feel when I know I slept wrong so can't imagine how uncomfortable you must feel when that happens

Your painting group sounds wonderful and therapeutic. So glad you enjoyed your time

Had some hot days but boy did we wake up to cooler temps today. Good sleeping that's for sure

Glad to hear back from you. Wonder what happened to Kelly

Debbie

Morning!! I'm finding myself in the perfect place here needing a support group myself for my own eating habits.... I recently discovered that even within the small amount of food I'm allowed to eat I still able to abuse it , and gain a couple pounds!!! UGH right now my downfall is peanut butter and bananas!!! I can even skip meals and eat just that, not good and 4 pounds has crept on in the last month.. It's easy to pinpoint whats doing it cuz what i can eat is so limited! I also love aged cheeses (allowed), and if I'm eating this more than once a week doing its doing nothing but turning to fat as I've been sooo physically inactive since I fell a couple months ago.. UGH.

Even have to better balance the amounts of fruits vs veggies (I could live on just fruit lol)... and proteins ie... meats eggs fish.. (my main meal each day). Some days if my back hurts I just do not feel like eating at all and I skip it completely and I know that's not helping. My weight staying on the low side is a benefit to my spine...

So now I have 4-5 pounds that have snuck on that need to go, and I need to NOT add any more... I'm not able to excercise, walking is possible on "good" days lol and I enjoy it. Just need to keep a better eye on my eating habits, sorta frustrating. Feels like not much ELSE food - wise can be taken away with this darn belly thing, now. I gotta give up my PeanutButter? What's the world coming to?? haha [emoji12]

Know what you mean about PB. Everyday, past 6-8 months I have had a multigrain toasted muffin with pb on it and I so look forward to that. I know with the plateau I am at that I do need to give up breads and such but hate the thought of my delish lunch along with a Greek yogurt. Not sure what it is but miss this meal even when on vacation

Once summer is over, it will be time to get in full weight loss mode doing whatever it takes and giving things up. The air tickets have been purchased so winter vacation seems all the more real. No taking those back. Problem is that I would love to cash in on the good summer clothes clearance deals now!! The first 40# came mostly off my butt, legs and face so how do I determine if I will lose more there or where I want-in the bust and gut and what size!! oh the frustration with me getting a good deal. How i love to shop!!! Already feel out of shape being bigger on top and smaller on bottom

Had Mexican last night which is a big no no eating chips and salsa. Avoided the scale this morning

Debbie