Live from Silver Cloud: Northern Europe – Voyage 1318; Jun 9-16, 2013

Stumblefoot

TO: UKCruiseJeff, Mayflower1, oregon50, and duct tape - Thanks for the nice comments about my family and rijsttafel recommendation. Will definitely partake in this elaborate meal someday for sure!

TO: Colonel(Ret.)Wes, RosseauGirl, and Wellseasoned - Glad you all liked our special shoes. We had no idea they were standard military issue.

TO: dusababy - Can’t thank you enough for the encouragement of this little travelogue. However, there is no doubt in my mind who the true master is… TLCOhio wins hands down! He's the true inspiration.

FOR TODAY’S UPDATE, PLEASE SEE BELOW…

AT SEA

Traveling between Amsterdam, Netherlands and Hamburg, Germany

We’ve been anxious for this day to arrive in order to catch our breath a bit as we’ve been going non-stop since arriving in London, England on Sun., Jun 2nd. There’s nothing quite like a day at sea to allow your body to recuperate and recharge.

Of course, with this being our first voyage onboard the Silver Cloud, a great deal of exploration was in order. For us, satisfaction begins with the experience we enjoy in our beautiful suite, Vista #409, near the front of the ship. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that although the Silver Cloud is one of the two smallest ships in the Silversea fleet, it has an enormous amount of storage space available. We don’t travel light by any stretch of the imagination and yet, we have more space than we can use. That’s truly outstanding!

9054055126_8ae67a0b50_c.jpg

We love the semi-circular design of the main staircase and the ease of moving between floors. I particularly like the juxtaposition of the staircase in the photo below and the trick it plays on your eye. The shot was taken from deck 4.

9051792215_3170812bb6_c.jpg

Another spot we enjoyed on the ship was reviewing all of the unique ports of call plaques that have been presented to the Silver Cloud since she entered service nearly 20 years ago. Seeing all of the welcoming destinations certainly makes it easy to dream big.

9051792855_7e677ae10d_c.jpg

The Cloud has a wonderful “comfort” level throughout the ship. Silversea has even thoughtfully placed several couches at the gangway located on level 5 for passengers to use as they wait to disembark at the next port of call.

9054046422_4405013e2d_c.jpg

Finally, no exploration would be complete without a proper visit to The Restaurant. She’s always dressed to the nines, no matter what time of day one visits.

9051809643_4db4107b3b_c.jpg

9051795017_130bde50e3_c.jpg

HAMBURG, GERMANY

The city of rivers

Upon arrival, we expected to find a beautiful city based on water in the form of the Alster lakes and Elbe river. Hamburg did not disappoint! However, this port city really surprised us with its level of tolerance and fashionable populace.

9051762351_b5bacc6284_c.jpg

Although the city suffered mightily during World War II, (over half of the city was destroyed during the bombing raids of 1940 – 1944), today, one has no inkling that the Germans lost the war as Hamburg has been restored as a faithful replica to its bygone glittering prewar city status as seen below by the stunning tower at Rathaus (Town Hall).

9051763661_b013e5465b_c.jpg

Full of a variety of churches, the city is dominated by five Evangelical Lutheran Churches.

Hauptkirche St. Petri Petrikirche; St. Peter’s Church

From 1195 and built by the order of Pope Leo X, it has been a Protestant cathedral since the Reformation.

9051768959_b66b23e2ef_c.jpg

Hauptkirche Sankt Jacobi; St. James Church

From 1255, this Lutheran church is located in the city center. Stark on the inside, it derives its beauty from its tremendously famous organ dedicated in 1693.

9051780127_f31eddef45_c.jpg

Hauptkirche St. Nikolai; St. Nikolai Church

Known as the world’s tallest building from 1874 – 1876, today, it is still the 2nd tallest building in all of Hamburg. Now in ruins, it is important architectural landmark that serves as a memorial for peace.

9053993560_ef94daf8fe_c.jpg

Hauptkirche Sankt Katharinen; St. Catherine’s Church

From 1256, this Lutheran church is the second oldest preserved building in the city and once was traditionally a church filled with seamen.

BBQ

Tonight, the Pool Bar and The Grill was closed in order to celebrate a casual night with a traditional BBQ. Unfortunately, although today was gorgeous with temps in the lower 70’s and the evening sky was completely clear, we were told several long-time Venetian guests had complained about holding the event outside, as they felt it would be too cold. So, sadly, the decision was made to move the BBQ indoors to The Restaurant.

Although we were disappointed that the event was held inside, in the end, it didn't matter at all in the grand scheme of life. The kitchen crew and wait staff did an outstanding job! The pig was succulent, the short rib tender, yet slightly charred just like I prefer it, the chicken was moist and tender, and the wursts were perfectly spiced. We ate so much that a body pillow was requested to enjoy a dreamy night of sleep.

9053980224_dfa7a183c2_c.jpg

Tomorrow, we set sail at 8:00a for Rostock, Germany and a transit across the Kiel Canal.

there is no doubt in my mind who the true master is… TLCOhio wins hands down! He's the true inspiration.

I was getting ready to say nice things about your continued updates, nice pictures bringing back wonderful memories, etc. THEN, I notice your above kind viewpoint on my pictures and reports. WOW!! Maybe I have told you this previously, but I am glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments. It's Father's Day today and our 41st wedding anniversary tomorrow. You've made my day!! Nice gift!!

Now, back to your reports and pictures! Love seeing more on the Silver Cloud and re-firing those memories from traveling on her with duct tape and other great people along the scenic Norway coast in July 2010.

It's been 42.5 years since being in Amsterdam and have never been to Hamburg and other northern Germany areas. Have those on the future to-do list. But, first have to do our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, departing Sydney's great harbor, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on the cruise. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide. We will also be stopping in Hawaii going down and on the way home to break up those long, long flights and see this area for the first time.

Keep up the great "work" and wonderful reporting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,327 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Stumblefoot,

You are too modest, and that's an endearing thing...your photographs, and descriptions of your trip, are absolutely what we SS Cruisers want to see. Thank you for sharing your on going travels. So fresh, so current..Bravo... Please continue. My husband who pays very little attention to CC, is mesmerized, and has asked me to show him your every post!

Thank you for the reports and photos. We board in 2 days and we can't wait.

We arrived in Copenhagen yesterday and today it was a lovely sunny day.

I hope it lasts.

Once again, thanks for posting.

I was getting ready to say nice things about your continued updates, nice pictures bringing back wonderful memories, etc. THEN, I notice your above kind viewpoint on my pictures and reports. WOW!! Maybe I have told you this previously, but I am glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments. It's Father's Day today and our 41st wedding anniversary tomorrow. You've made my day!! Nice gift!!

Now here's someone who really knows how to take a compliment.:)

The Cloud lost internet service for nearly 48 hours, so this is the first chance I've had to post since receiving word from the IT Officer the system is back up and running this evening.

TO: CrusinPashmina and dusababy - Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments. I'll be sure to show them to my mother the next time I'm a bit ornery to show her that all is not lost with me.

TO: TLCOhio - Thanks for the laugh and more importantly, for the inspiration. And, congratulations to you and wife! Can hardly wait to follow your voyage Down Under!

TO: jillyf - Very excited for you and the gang who will be joining you onboard. We've met a few passengers onboard who are staying on for the next voyage too. I think you'll find the Cloud in excellent shape and the staff ready to serve. Antonio has the restaurants operating in top shape and ALL of his Maître D's (Alves - The Restaurant, Edward - La Terrazza, and Andrew - Le Champagne) are doing an excellent job. It's such a pleasure to hear "Mr. Hickox" called when they see me onboard, regardless if I'm in their restaurant or not. True service professionals they are, each and every one of them.

TODAY'S POST IS AS FOLLOWS:

BITS & BOBS AT SEA

Traveling between Hamburg and Warnemünde, Germany

Today, we transited the Kiel Canal and traveled the inland passage between the North Sea and the Baltic.

9068563940_39b207887a_c.jpg

Passengers

As many of you know, our voyage was split into two separate short sail segments earlier this year; a 6-day and a 4-day. Hamburg, Germany was turnaround the port to accomplish this feat.

In general, we’ve noticed very little impact from these short sail voyages on our 10-day voyage. We’ve been able to dine in any venue of our choosing on the dates we preferred. Upon embarkation in Southampton, England a total of 243 passengers were onboard representing an 82% capacity level. In Hamburg, a total of 25 passengers disembarked while 36 new passengers embarked, including 25 Japanese nationals, bringing our current total to 254 passengers or 84% capacity.

Food

I’m happy to report that we’ve been pleased with the food. We have dined in every venue and have not had a bad meal whatsoever. We have never felt the need to send any course back to the kitchen for further preparation or an entirely different selection. I realize satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder, but we feel the kitchen has been operating at a high level and the table service has been nearly flawless. I have collected a series of The Restaurant’s daily menus, so if anyone is interested in seeing them, let me know and I’ll post a sampling in a separate topic.

Dover Sole

9066346017_c021905685_c.jpg

Lobster Thermidor

9066344201_1c50208271_c.jpg

Our voyage was designated as a l’École des Chefs culinary adventure hosted by David Bilsand, Silversea’s Guest Chef. In general, the program has been completely understated and until today, we had forgotten this “adventure” was even occurring. Shame on us! The program included the following:

Tuesday - Shopping trip to the famous Visserskaai Fishermans wharf

Friday (morning) - Food and wine pairing; ”Cooking with Wine”

Friday (afternoon) - Fish master class

Sunday (morning) - Cooking demonstration; Beautiful Macaroons

Sunday (afternoon) - Chocolate workshop

After attending the chocolate workshop, we’ve decided it’s much simpler and more enjoyable to let the professionals do the creating and we’ll do the eating. The key chefs onboard our voyage are as follows:

• Grant Chilcott; Executive Chef
  • Stefano Gazzoli; La Terrazza
  • Pedro Navarro; Le Champagne
  • Romeo Romero; The Restaurant

Wine

I continue to be impressed with the breadth of the small Silversea Connoisseur wine list. There continues to be some super bargains, especially with most of the Italian producers (I will post the full Silver Cloud wine list in a separate topic). And of course, Colonel(Ret.)Wes’s personal stash of Relentless is available to all to enjoy. I was pleased to find the ’07 in the cellar as I had expected it to only contain the ’09.

9066348355_bff97233e8_c.jpg

In general, the complimentary pours have been acceptable, if not spectacular. Below is an example of the included wines we’ve tasted. In my opinion, this is an area I believe Silversea should enhance further as the wines tend to congregate from Italy, are rather simplistic in their style, and fail to truly enhance the high quality food they serve.

Dinner Wines

• 2009, Sartori Di Verona, Pinot Noir, Italy
  • 2011, Principe Pallavicini, Frascati Superiore, Poggio Verde, Italy
  • 2008, Hansjorg Rebholz, Chardonnay, Pfalz, Germany

Lunch Wines

• 2012, Tenuta Sant’ Antonio, Soave Fontana Italy
  • 2010, Man Vitners, Pinotage, South Africa
  • 2011, Principe Pallavicini, Frascati Superiore, Poggio Verde, Italy

Evening Dress Code and Onboard Smoking

Our voyage has featured two formal nights, 4 informal nights, and 5 casual nights. This particular voyage, for whatever reason, seems to be more formal than our past trips as many, many folks continue to dress up quite extensively during casual nights. I rarely see anyone in jeans even though they are acceptable on all casual nights. And, I’d estimate roughly 75% of men still wear jackets on casual evenings too. Needless to say, the dress code has not been an issue and everyone looks sharp and smart.

As far as the new smoking policy, all seems to be working well. There are clearly defined areas outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar that allow cigars, pipes, and cigarettes. In addition, La Terrazza has outside seating reserved specifically for cigarette smoking only. Although there are quite a few smokers onboard, we have never experienced even the slightest bit of impact. Kudos to Silversea for their practical approach to both sets passengers.

Oddities

Cookbook

Silversea has produced a cookbook ”An Italian Culinary Journey”that contains a wide variety of dishes that are only found in La Terrazza. At the end of our meal in La Terrazza, our server appeared and tried to sell us this book. He made a special point of emphasis to let us know the proceeds from the sales goes into a special fund for the La Terrazza staff and not to the ship’s owner or author of the book. It’s meant to provide the staff an opportunity to travel to Italy and experience for themselves an Italian culinary expertise.

One of the things we’ve loved about Silversea is the fact that they don’t try and upsell you additional ancillary products and services (outside of the spa which is not operated by Silversea). Although this is only our fourth cruise, I must admit, it all came across as very odd to end what was a lovely meal in this manner. We respectfully declined the offer and were not further pressured, nor did they try and sell us the cookbook again on a future visit.

Excursion Cancellations

President Obama is visiting Berlin June 18 – 19 and out of extreme caution, Silversea has informed all passengers of their intent to cancel all scheduled excursions to Berlin even though we will be there a full day earlier on June 17. Hard to believe we can’t avoid our President’s road closures even when we are away from American soil and will be forced to miss our first visit to Berlin. Oh well… guess we’ll just have to put on our new fancy dancing shoes and have a ball instead on the Cloud!

9066349645_06c3b70eab_c.jpg

25th Wedding Anniversary

You may remember me saying in an earlier post that for us, satisfaction begins with the experience we enjoy in our beautiful suite. Needless to say, our Butler and Suite Attendant made our voyage even more special one evening when we returned to our room. The staff has truly done a great job of making us feel special.

9068565790_a789659fa4_c.jpg

Continues to be a great report.Many places to go on our list.

I am pleased you liked the food.Grant was the chef on the Explorer on our recent West coast of Africa cruise.I said then that I thought the food then was up with the best we had had on Silverseas.

dusababy: I call them my Gatsby shoes. Sure wish they made me dance like Fred Astaire!

duct tape: Thanks so much for your kind comments this voyage. So many of us admire you and your expertise quietly from afar. I wish our voyage didn't have to end either, but alas it's the departures that allow us to dream about our future journeys.

drron29: Glad to hear you experienced the same with Chef Grant. He hails from the Gold Coast of Australia and we made the same remarks last night about his culinary team as we've felt the food was the best we've had as well on Silversea. Hopefully, others will agree when they embark Wednesday on their voyage to the fjords of Norway.

FOR THE NEXT TO LAST DAY OF OUR JOURNEY, SEE BELOW...

WARNEMUNDE, GERMANY

A lovely seaside resort town

Right on schedule at 7:00a, Captain Marco Sangiacomo brought us into the lovely seaside resort town of Warnemunde, Germany where we had the entire day to explore and comb beaches until the all aboard signal was given at 9:30p. Considering that temperatures were in the 60's, we were surprised at just how many people were on the beach, let alone swimming in 50 degree water. Brrrrr...

9074079458_8f407212b5_c.jpg

9074117006_9529b8d777_c.jpg

A super cute town, the port hosted 3 vessels this day and the intimacy of the Silver Cloud (as seen in the foreground) was apparent immediately.

9071863269_a8f72541da_c.jpg

Seemingly full of lighthouses at every turn, these gems serve as attractions in their own right in this beach loving community.

9071850245_c74374e62a_c.jpg

9071853281_2733b6aaa4_c.jpg

After a fun day exploring, we retired back the Cloud where it was the last of our two formal nights onboard. Dinner was exceptional and the finest meal yet. And, as you can tell, I'm just a little bit proud to be experiencing all of this with my bride of 25 years. I honestly believe I'm one of the luckiest fellas on this earth and so blessed to have her by my side.

9071848913_9de39dd31f_c.jpg

Tonight, we are enroute to Helsingborg, Sweden where we will spend roughly 7-hours prior to our departure for Copenhagen at 3:00p.

Thanks again for more wonderful posts/pix Stumblefoot. Enjoy you visit to Sweden and please ask the Panorama bartendar to have plenty of maraschino cherries for Wellseasoned's Shirley Temples when he boards the Cloud on Wednesday.

ps..if you see Capt Sangiacomo prior to disembarking and have time, pls pass along our warm regards and our regrets that we will miss sailing with him from London Tower bridge in mid July.

Good Morning Duct Tape, here is what Dusababy posted in late April about the Captain on our Voyage:

Wes -- command change on July 17 - your embarkation day: Alesandro Zanella(sp?) - brand new captain (former staff captain ) Australian/Italian (what could be better than that) rumored to be very young, very personable, a fine figure of a man (my words, didn't want to say hunk) and the youngest captain in the SS fleet! Sounds like fun !!

Dusababy's mom - aka Mary Ann

Thanks so much for sharing all the highlights of your voyage and your wonderful family with us. (I must say, never thought of the body pillow idea after indulging a bit too much--brilliant!) Your report has just been fantastic and am so glad to see the smiles on your faces in every photo and that you are enjoying yourselves so much. :D

Sorry for the delay in making my last two voyage posts. Our final day was split between Sweden and Denmark and was super busy. And, when we disembarked and arrived into Switzerland, I found the electric plugs I had brought with us were the wrong ones. So, we’ve been without power to recharge our computer battery until arriving in Luzern today where the Renaissance hotel has adapters that fit our American plugs. Whew! Feels good to be back reconnected with the online world.

TO: Colonel(Ret.)Wes - Confirmed plenty of maraschino cherries will be available. ’07 Relentless on the other hand is in short supply.

TO: duct tape and Colonel(Ret.)Wes - Unfortunately, never had the opportunity to meet Captain Sangiacomo during our voyage. In fact, the only officer we saw during the entire cruise was Staff Captain Samuele Failla who would dine with his family while they were on board enjoying their vacation.

TO: Herman The Cat - You are very welcome and it’s been my pleasure sharing the highlights. Do be sure and give the body pillow a try one evening. It takes up a lot of room in the bed, but sure was comfortable to sleep with.

TO: spinnaker2 - Glad you like the travelogue too! When the Belgian vendor suggested mayo, I’m sure the look on my face said it all. But, I did try it and liked it! In the end though, I just couldn't resist dipping those wonderfully crispy chips in good ol’ Heinz.

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE CONCLUSION OF OUR NORTHERN EUROPEAN JOURNEY.

HELSINGBORG, SWEDEN

Home to Europe’s most beautiful park

Helsingborg is a city that combines the feeling of a small town with a larger sophisticated city.

700 years old, the Karnan Tower is the only remains of what once was the mighty Helsingborg castle.

9127225796_ce3d5902ef_c.jpg

The tower protected the town, as well as the sound and hence, it is incorporated into a part of the city arms of Helsingborg. It stands 34 meters high and we climbed up the narrow spiral staircase to the top which opened up a panoramic view over the city, Oresund, and the Danish town Helsingor situated on the other side of the sound, just a mere 4km away.

9125008317_ec53650b5c_c.jpg

From a castle built in 1310 to another established in 1864, Sofiero Castle and Gardens were awarded Europe’s most beautiful park in 2010. Originally one of the Swedish royal family’s country mansions, it was expanded to its current size between 1874 – 1876 after crown prince Oscar had been crowned King Oscar II (January 1829 – December 1907) of Sweden and Norway.

9127227526_cbe4f77f90_c.jpg

Today, the castle is known for its magnificent sight in the spring of more than 10,000 rhododendron bushes in full bloom. The rhododendron garden was originally started in 1905 by then Prince Gustaf Adolf, when the castle was given to him as a wedding gift for his marriage to Princess Margaret Connaught (January 1882 – May 1920) of the United Kingdom (daughter of the 3rd son of Queen Victoria). The Prince became King Gustaf VI Adolf (November 1882 – September 1973) in 1950 and his reign lasted until his death.

Although the rhododendron bushes had already spent their blooms, the rest of the gardens were no less spectacular. We love the fields of red and orange poppies one can find in our home state of Colorado in the spring and summer, so you can imagine our excitement to discover a poppy we had never seen before in our lives; Sweden’s beautiful blue poppies.

9125009195_92f6fded92_c.jpg

Before climbing back aboard the Cloud, we spent time at Mariakyrkan (St. Maria Church). Started in the 14th century and one of the oldest buildings still standing in Helsingborg, it took a century for this modest church to be completed. Its exterior is still one of the best examples of the Danish Brick Gothic style of architecture in all of Scandinavia.

9125007321_d61eb03283_c.jpg

In lieu of a grand cathedral, the church was filled with treasures inside, including a trove of silver in the Vestry and Silver Chamber, an intricately carved Renaissance pulpit (1615) and the triptych (1450). With the sun shining bright, the stained glass windows, whose themes ranged from the Tree of Life to epic moments in the history of Helsingborg, took on a particularly jewel like tone as created by the artists Ralph Bergholtz, Erik Olson, and Martin Esmond.

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

Home to the second oldest amusement park in the world

Originally opening on August 15, 1843, Tivoli's founder, Georg Carstensen (1812 – 1857), obtained a five-year
 charter to create Tivoli by 
telling King Christian VIII 
that "when the people are
 amusing themselves, they
 do not think about 
politics". The King agreed 
and granted roughly 15
 acres to the creation of
 Tivoli. However, politics
 ultimately played a role at 
Tivoli when in 1943, Hitler 
sympathizers burnt many 
of Tivoli's buildings, including the concert hall, to the ground.

9127546528_fd8a65fcb4_c.jpg

A city park, Tivoli is more than an amusement park. The park is beautifully landscaped with fountains and flower beds which contain more than 400,000 colorful flowers. And, the park prides itself on the more than 111,000 custom designed lights that illuminate the park at night, although with a closing time of 10:00p so close to the summer solstice meant we really couldn’t experience the full effect that would be in found in late summer.

9127547436_dee0591781_c.jpg

Today, the park has a variety of old and new rides. It is best known for its wooden roller coaster, Rutschebanen (1914), one of world's oldest wooden roller coasters that is still operating today. An operator controls the ride by braking down the hills so it won't gain too much speed. After riding some of the great roller coasters in the U.S., I must say, seeing an 18-year old with all of his piercings and tattoos didn’t instill great confidence in this older fella when I boarded the coaster, although clearly, I survived.

If you are as afraid of heights like I am, may I suggest taking a turn on one of park’s newest rides; the Star Flyer (2006) to properly put your fear into perspective. It is the world's second tallest carousel and while you are soaring at nearly 250 feet off the ground, it’ll scare the devil out of you while you try and enjoy the beautiful panoramic views of the city. This is especially true when you ride the carousel with a certain 14-year old who thinks its hilarious to twist your seat around in order to properly frighten you.

9127547882_f456f7584a_c.jpg

As our voyage came to an end, I must take a moment to provide another small example of why we enjoy cruising on Silversea so much. During our voyage, we had received exceptional service in La Terrazza from its Maître D’ Andrew and a staff member named Rudi. In the morning, Rudi worked the buffet and took special care to prepare our plates just like we enjoyed them. At night, he was our server and provided engaging service throughout the entire meal.

On the night we returned from Tivoli at 10:00p, La Terrazza had stopped serving dinner at 9:30p. Yet, Andrew and Rudi encouraged us to come in and enjoy one last dinner at La Terrazza. It was a magical experience to receive their gracious service and literally have the place to ourselves.

Our voyage came to end at 6:00a when we departed the Cloud for the airport and our trip to Geneva to spend a week touring the Swiss Alps before heading home. I hope you all have enjoyed this little slice of our voyage touring Northern Europe. May you all enjoy a wonderful summer wherever your travels or dreams take you!

9127643408_71267a7b49_c.jpg

Bravo Stumblefoot, wonderful pix & posts. Also, thanks for checking on the supplies, very glad y'all had a terrific cloud journey. Did you book another SS cruise while on board?

Archived