Why can't North Americans live without 'iced water' at mealtimes?

Skipper Tim

You mean not egg and chips?

Funny offtopic story:

Mother and her best friend Mary (now dearly departed) were in Torremolinos a few years back. Two northern ladies in their late sixties on holiday. Pop into a restaurant for lunch and Mary orders two hake and chips.

Clearly a gravelly Mancunian accent has trouble travelling. They were presented with a plate of two fried eggs and chips........

Any luck with the single supplement Maryann? Husband and I are on that cruise for his birthday. If its still too expensive we can smuggle you on in our suitcase? :-)

I have tried and failed to understand it. It feels like half the protests, complaints and concerns on the MSC forum are about the lack of free 'iced water' at mealtimes. Now, I may have had iced water a couple of times in my life but it is certainly not anything I would ever expect.

I like my tea made in a certain way, but the moment I leave the confines of my home I would not expect it to be made the same way. Why do North Americans expect FREE 'ICED WATER' when out of their own home country?

Please somebody, explain it me.

It is not on the menu. Shut up.

A glass of water or iced tea free of charge in a cruise ship MDR is de facto a standard of cruising industry.

This is what any passenger of a cruise ship (nor necessarily North Americans) can nowadays expect on a cruise ship.

No matter how important it is for someone personally, not providing this kind of service indicates overall substandard quality of the cruise line product.

A glass of water or iced tea free of charge in a cruise ship MDR is de facto a standard of cruising industry.

This is what any passenger of a cruise ship (nor necessarily North Americans) can nowadays expect on a cruise ship.

No matter how important it is for someone personally, not providing this kind of service indicates overall substandard quality of the cruise line product.

And in precisely which nations in the World are found drinkers of 'iced tea'? Certainly not mine.

When I read comments like this I feel profoundly depressed for humanity. What hope is there for Americans when not only do some of their number have such insular and ignorant beliefs but they are ignorant of their ignorance and are quite prepared to express those beliefs in a public forum such as this?

The risk of encountering such people is enough to be put off cruising altogether.

Substandard cruise line for not having free 'iced tea'. Whatever next????

Stay away! Do not spoil my cruise!

Funny offtopic story:

Mother and her best friend Mary (now dearly departed) were in Torremolinos a few years back. Two northern ladies in their late sixties on holiday. Pop into a restaurant for lunch and Mary orders two hake and chips.

Clearly a gravelly Mancunian accent has trouble travelling. They were presented with a plate of two fried eggs and chips........

Any luck with the single supplement Maryann? Husband and I are on that cruise for his birthday. If its still too expensive we can smuggle you on in our suitcase? :-)

I am still deciding on the Sinfonia or the Preziosa. I like the ports on the Sinfonia and thank you for the review you did. Does mean a flight to Palma from Barcelona and back though.

From my experience, most Europeans do not drink iced water, in shore restaurants or on cruise ships (regardless of de facto standards). When iced water is served on MSC ships I frequently see Europeans spooning out the ice. Go figure!

But they still drink water, right? They do not ask for a bottled water instead. :)

But they still drink water, right? They do not ask for a bottled water instead. :)

Well, I can tell you that people in my part of Europe drink carbonated water, which comes in a bottle.

Now that I think about it, we were once in an Italian restaurant in Georgetown / Washington DC and ordered some carbonated water since the kids complained about the tap water the waiter had put in front of us. What we received was the same San Benedetto water that MSC sells for under 2 EUR and that Aldi sells for 39 CT. The only difference was that that restaurant presented the water as some rare gourmet product and charged us 10 USD + tax + tip.

Yes, restaurans can sell water for more.

I am talking about European passengers who were drinking tap water with ice or without during our MSC cruise in Caribbeans. They could've bought bottled water if this is their usual choice.

What I am saying is I like to have both choices available.

I am from Yorkshire and when I was a boy we used to have dandelion and burdock delivered and always in the fridge. It should be free, 'de-facto' wherever I go.

Now I think having free red wine is a better mark of civilization.

Do they have cutlery in the U.S. ?

I am from Yorkshire and when I was a boy we used to have dandelion and burdock delivered and always in the fridge. It should be free, 'de-facto' wherever I go.

The free red wine gets my vote unless it's that weak stuff you get on the Allegrissimo!

As for Dandelion and burdock, that brings back memories. We didnt have it up here but when I went on holiday to Yorkshire and Lancashier as a teen, we had it every day.

There is no better, tastier or healthier drink than iced water.

We are used to getting it "at no charge" in restaurants.

Even if I order another drink, I'll have 2 glasses of iced water per meal. I seriously think I would die of dehydration on an MSC cruise.

It's like bread. Some people cannot eat a meal without bread, and bread is generally included with the cost of the meal.

Generally, in the cities...

Out here in the Wild West, when we want to step up the fanciness, we carve utensils from wood.

Sorry, off to get my dinner clothes ready for my next cruise, and, Lord knows, they won't beat themselves against that rock all alone.

(Iced tea is the devil's brew! Especially the stuff they call 'sweet tea.'. Vile and undrinkable.)

Andrew

Wrong type of war, but hey who cares :)

The Civil Tea Wars were disastrous for all concerned, especially the tea pourers whose art is now almost extinct. I hope the UN Security Council will move to ban iced tea altogether as they did land mines and chemical weapons. There is little difference between them and they should be treated as an equal threat to civilization.

The Civil Tea Wars were disastrous for all concerned, especially the tea pourers whose art is now almost extinct. I hope the UN Security Council will move to ban iced tea altogether as they did land mines and chemical weapons. There is little difference between them and they should be treated as an equal threat to civilization.
I object to your threat of UN intervention and this has nothing to do with the fact I am a major shareholder in Sensodyne toothpaste.Any attempt made to imply that it is will hear from my solicitors Sue Grabbit and Run.

NB re the Civil tea wars, as I have only recently found out about tea potting would you sign me up for the infantry.

I object to your threat of UN intervention and this has nothing to do with the fact I am a major shareholder in Sensodyne toothpaste.Any attempt made to imply that it is will hear from my solicitors Sue Grabbit and Run.

NB re the Civil tea wars, as I have only recently found out about tea potting would you sign me up for the infantry.

What a small World! Sue Grabbit and 'Bog roll' Run were my closest friends in Eastern Miserabilia.

You have nothing to worry about, Keel Haul. I have already enlisted you to the tea-potting compound. Enjoy! (My firm belief is that once you have squeezed a teabag nude, you are a complete person. There is nothing to fear.)

Algy old chap is that really you? I lost track of you after you were blackballed from the RAC over the stirrup pump and the bucket of warm custard.I cant believe Major Ron slept through the ordeal. I am please to report there is no psychological damage to the Major, his face lights up when spotted dick and birds is for pud. Eva Vestoff the entertainments manager would like to know if you have heard from the CSA?

Algy old chap is that really you? I lost track of you after you were blackballed from the RAC over the stirrup pump and the bucket of warm custard.I cant believe Major Ron slept through the ordeal. I am please to report there is no psychological damage to the Major, his face lights up when spotted dick and birds is for pud. Eva Vestoff the entertainments manager would like to know if you have heard from the CSA?

My dear Fogey!

You brought back some memories. I believe it was the sight of your spotted dick lighting up the Major's face that necessitated the custard in the first place. He was a military liability. Could be seen for miles.

Good trick question re. Eva Vestoff. It really is me. The Casting Society of America has placed a full-size, whole body nude statue of me in a small corner of Central Park in recognition of my charitable work for miners of bronze. I was honoured but I don't think I would have gone through with it had I known how difficult it is to remove silicone from hairy areas or how immodest the old spotted would look from below. I wish I had worn some speedos now.

Give the old Blighter by best Birds but this time not over the head!

Algy.

Good Grief Algy is that bronze near the public toilets in Central Park you? if it is you are a strapping fellow my lad. I have many times had cover up your appendage with my bowler when the Lycra clad Archbishop needed a pee whilst on his midnight jog.

What news of the crew, did Seaman Staines marry Roger the cabin boy in LA like he promised?

I don't understand a word between my two favourite CC members, that's because I'm not native in English but I feel good and bad vibe in the same time. Such as, you understand yourself intelectualy but you disagree and you're hot about it.

Sorry for interruption. :D Keep going. Maybe some explanation for us who doesn't know what's it about.:D:D

I don't understand a word between my two favourite CC members, that's because I'm not native in English but I feel good and bad vibe in the same time. Such as, you understand yourself intelectualy but you disagree and you're hot about it.

Sorry for interruption. :D Keep going. Maybe some explanation for us who doesn't know what's it about.:D:D

Don't worry about it Daniela, I'm a native English speaker (although some may dispute that) and I haven't got a clue what they are on about either! I'm going to have to google some of the names being bandied around as I suspect it from some cult movie or Tv comedy series

Archived