Vantage Russian River Cruise Inquiry

needtimetotravel

My sister, mother, and myself are planning a Russian river cruise in 2014. (This is one of my mother's dream vacations.) I am seriously considering the Vantage trip since it has single cabins and hotel stays in Moscow and St Petersburg. My concern is the ship. It is obviously older, with smaller cabins, and without balconies.

I noticed that several people have made this trip on this ship in the last year or two. (For example, RockyMountainMama, Tom47, didicruiser, don_ken, longduo, 4774Papa, and Hydrokitty) Those of you who have commented seem to have enjoyed the experience, but I can find no substantive information on the ship itself.

Please, if you have done the Vantage Russian river cruise on the Tolstoy, please provide some detailed information on your experience of and on the ship.

Thank you in advance for your insight!

We will be on this cruise in September. I read and downloaded 4774Papa's review. As far as the ship, go to vantagetravel.com/rms13, and click on accommodations. There is a slideshow showing the Junior suite and the outside cabin pictures. We have booked a junior suite. The outside cabins are rather small, 103 sq feet but have a large picture window.

We will put the review and pictures on our website when we return.

The Tolstoy was an older ship that had been refurbished. The cabins were small, but we spent little time in them.

The public areas were clean and well kept up, but the Tolstoy would not be as nice as most river cruise ships in Europe.

Still, the dining room and bar areas were more than adequate. The staff was excellent and food was good.

We spent a week on the Tolstoy, since Vantage puts you up in hotels in Moscow and SPB.

If I had to do this trip again, I would still do it with Vantage.

4774Papa - Thank you for the succinct ship description. (And your very in-depth tour review.) This is the tour that we are definitely leaning towards. I gather that the hotels were nice?

I would still love to hear anyone else's impressions of the ship as well.

4774Papa - Thank you for the succinct ship description. (And your very in-depth tour review.) This is the tour that we are definitely leaning towards. I gather that the hotels were nice?

I would still love to hear anyone else's impressions of the ship as well.

The hotels were five star and very nice. Also, both hotels were within a mile of the Kremlin and Hermitage respectively.

4774Papa-

You said "If I had to do this trip again, I would still do it with Vantage"

My mother says, Why do you say this?

Thanks.

I was very pleased with the tour guides and program managers on the trip. The hotels in Moscow and SPB were excellent. The Kiev extension and Baltic extension were super.

Also, I really liked the home hosted suppers we had with local people.

The total package was well put together.

Hi needtimetotravel,

I'll add my .02 also :)

The Lev Tolstoy is an older boat as most of the Russia River cruise ships are. The rooms are smaller than an ocean cruise ship but it is more than adequate as you are not in the room much. With that said, it was immaculate. The main lounge has 180 degree view of the forward scenery. This room also hosts the evening's entertainment. The crew puts on various skits or there is a dance couple performing. A singer then will follow and/or request songs and dance.

There is a movie room with a lot of chairs that also doubles as a meeting room to go over next days itinerary or programs such as Russian language class or history class. There is a small indoor pool. 2 bars, one by the pool and one just outside the lounge. No elevator, 2 central circular stairs.

My DH and I, in our early fifties, had an outstanding time. I would do it again in a heart beat. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Archived