New Free Shuttle - Marseille Port

Goldygolfer

I have noticed that many questions have been asked about how to get from the port to be centre of Marseille. I just found the following item on the official Marseille-Provence website. I thought future cruisers to Marseille might find it of interest.

Here is the link to the website for those who would like to read more.

http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/boats-sea-ships-ferries-canals-rivers/385-marseille-cruise-ship-port.html#shuttle

Nouvelle June 2013: Good news for cruise passengers. On 7 June the Port of Marseille (GPMM) introduced a free shuttle bus between the Môle Léon Gourret and Joliette station, an interchange near the city centre with plenty of excellent onward tram, metro and bus connections. The bus runs every 30 minutes on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The not-quite-so-good news is that the shuttle has provoked angry protests from Marseille taxi drivers who have been picketing the terminals. You may also find that your cruise ship is not keen to publicise this new competitor to its own, paid shuttle buses.

Edited by Goldygolfer

I have noticed that many questions have been asked about how to get from the port to be centre of Marseille. I just found the following item on the official Marseille-Provence website. I thought future cruisers to Marseille might find it of interest.

Nouvelle June 2013: Good news for cruise passengers. On 7 June the Port of Marseille (GPMM) introduced a free shuttle bus between the Môle Léon Gourret and Joliette station, an interchange near the city centre with plenty of excellent onward tram, metro and bus connections. The bus runs every 30 minutes on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The not-quite-so-good news is that the shuttle has provoked angry protests from Marseille taxi drivers who have been picketing the terminals. You may also find that your cruise ship is not keen to publicise this new competitor to its own, paid shuttle buses.

Thank you for posting this information. Now lets hope everyone going there reads it...great help.

That free Marseille shuttle story does provoke some thought. The article only talks about a bus that runs on Fri, Sat, and Sun. What about the other 4 days? Sounds kind of strange.

Hank

That free Marseille shuttle story does provoke some thought. The article only talks about a bus that runs on Fri, Sat, and Sun. What about the other 4 days? Sounds kind of strange.

Hank

Maybe it is a trial basis to see if used..or the driver needs a second job on the weekend;)

Hank

Also, if it's one bus with a capacity of maybe 50 seats. I wonder how it's going to cope wen two ships with 4000 passengers each are in port.

As I said in the other thread, I was last Saturday in Marseille to start my cruise on the Msc Preziosa. I went to place Joliette and waited for one hour and half (i had a lot of time to spend) but no free shuttle there. So, at the end I took the bus # 35.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have already been to Marseilles, can you please tell me where your ship docked, if you were with Carnival? I've read that it could either be Môle Léon Gourret or Joliette. I'm asking because in case there isn't a free shuttle or it doesn't run on the day I'll be there, I would like to avoid Carnival's 14 euro each shuttle price and take the bus for just over a euro. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to Vieux Port from wherever it is we dock. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sheena

Edited by diminsion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where Norweigian Epic docks?

Failing that, does anyone know the cost of a taxi from the docks to the train station?

Epic charges $12 per person for the shuttle and there are 4 of us, so I'm thinking a taxi might be a better option.

Thanks.

Does anyone know where Norweigian Epic docks?

Failing that, does anyone know the cost of a taxi from the docks to the train station?

Epic charges $12 per person for the shuttle and there are 4 of us, so I'm thinking a taxi might be a better option.

Thanks.

There is a free shuttle provided by the port at Marseille. NCL dies not tell you this as they want you to get the $12 shuttle.

When you get off the ship, walk to the left and you'll see the white bus that is free. It just takes you to the port entrance though and not to the city center. But the metro (Joliette) is just about a 5min walk from the port J1 entrance. Metro is €1.50. Or if you want, you can take a 30 min walk to the old port. From the old port, you can take bus 60 to the Nortre Damme at the top of the hill. The view there is spectacular! Bus is €1.80.

We also went to Aix-en-Provence by bus. Aix is a lovely small town that for me is worth visiting. It is only 20 mins bus ride. From Joliette metro, get off at St Charles (bus station). Then from there take bus from Aix. I just can't remember the Bus no but you can ask the tourist info there. Fare is €5.60 one way. Bus runs often just so you know. It even has free wifi! :)

We just spent about €15 in transportation to Aix and the cathedral compared to $12 that will just take you to city center. Just be aware that the last free shuttle is only up to 5:30pm. Otherwise, you have to take a cab back to the ship as it is far from the gate.

Have fun in Marseille! I want to go back there! :)

Although NCL don't advertise the fact there's a free shuttle, we still asked the staff where we pic the bus up from and they pointed us in the right direction.

Although it only drops you off at the port gates, it's not far to walk to get to the old port although we didn't make a note of the time but time!

On the way there we went up the hill and walked past the shops and on the way back we took the direct route along the seafront. Both journeys were well signposted.

Did you notice if the shuttle was wheelchair accessible? That is, did it have a ramp or lift? Also, does the shuttle take you to the city center? Is there a stop at the train station?

Edited by Finnjet

Did you notice if the shuttle was wheelchair accessible? That is, did it have a ramp or lift? Also, does the shuttle take you to the city center? Is there a stop at the train station?

I vaguely remember it being more like a coach than a bus so probably not wheelchair accessible. but don't quote me on that. I got on so many buses on my trip!

I do remember, however that the shuttle only takes you to the port entrance not the city centre or train station.

• 2 months later...