New Free Shuttle - Marseille Port

Goldygolfer

To get to the Marseille free shuttle bus, walking the line drawn in the photo, we walked off the Emerald Princess and went through the information booth. The attendant at the booth told us that a taxi to downtown Marseille was 28 Euros one way. She said it was too far to walk. She discouraged the use of the city bus because some downtown streets were closed for a walkathon. She did not mention anything about the free shuttle bus. We had heard rumors about the free shuttle to Marseille but Princess made no mention of it.

Along the route to the free shuttle bus, we saw this sign referring to the city bus, #35, which takes you to roughly the same place as the free shuttle. However, it seems the city bus is near the Port #4 outside gates which is an additional 20 minute walk and costs 1.30 Euros one way. The city bus is not the free shuttle bus.

A sign near the free shuttle bus stop states that the service runs Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesdays only, 9am-5pm. The bus runs every 20 minutes. It warns about walking to the city.

The free shuttle stop was on the left side of the road when walking from the ship. The stop provides shade with a canopy. It was not crowded when we were there at 10:00 a.m. Maybe 15 people waiting.

The shuttle bus dropped us of at the bottom of the bottom of Boulevard des Dames. It was a 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro stop.

The lineup was short when we returned to the shuttle bus stop at 2 p.m. as seen in the photo but, I think we just missed the bus by 5 minutes. The lineup grew substantially while we waited the 15 minutes for the next shuttle bus and not quite everyone got onto the bus. A few people didn’t get on the bus and they had to wait 20 minutes for the next bus.

The road to the ship is pedestrian unfriendly for anyone daring enough to walk however it’s easy to follow. Simply stick to the road as it follows the shoreline. It’s a long 4-5 mile trek and the scenery is not pleasant. It looks somewhat dangerous due to traffic in some spots.

In terms of orientation, the Princess ships were docked at the Gate 4 docks. Ships are docked on both sides of the dock, a north side and a south side. The south side of the dock is named Post B and you can see the Caribbean Princess docked there in the last photo. Our ship, the Emerald Princess was docked on the opposite side, the north side of the dock, named Post D. The photos were taken from the north side, Post D, but it’s the same directions to get to the shuttle regardless of which side your ship is docked.

The attached pictures are great for reference! Thanks for sharing!

We will be in Marseilles on a Sunday. Does anyone know how far it is to visit wineries? We have never been to France. I'm trying to do some wine/champagne tours. Any suggestions for those who have been here?

I appreciate all suggestions/answers. Also, if we do some sight-seeing, are there shops where I can purchase some wine? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

shall be visiting Marseille on the msc preziosa ship arriving to port at 1.00 and leaving at 18.00 on Friday is it worth it to catch the free shuttle bus or else catch the ship shuttle not to waste time?

do you know frequency of the free shuttle?

thanks

Just a small update about the free shuttle.

I was in Marseille last sunday and tuesday. On sunday the free shuttle was running every 20-30 minutes from the port to Joliette. From there it's a 2 minute walk to the metro if you need to go to the main train station or 15 minute walk to the city centre.

Even though the sign at the busstop says the bus runs also on tuesday, we were waiting with about 7 other people for about 40 minutes but the bus never showed up. So we walked 15 minutes to the port entrance where the busstop is located for the city bus. Line 35 will take you in 10-15 minutes to Joliette, the same place where the free shuttle bus stop is. There is a ticketmachine at the port entrance but not at the busstop. The ticket can also be bought from the bus driver for €1,90.

While walking in the direction of the busstop, we asked several people where exactly the stop is or how to get to the city centre. Nobody did know anything so don't expect any help. We found the busstop by ourselves and how to get to the city.

IMG_20160412_094435.jpg

I made a map with the busstops, the red arrow is for the free shuttle bus and the blue arrow is where bus 35 stops.

MRS.jpg

I hope it helps a little bit.

Edited by Skydrift

• 2 weeks later...
we walked 15 minutes to the port entrance where the busstop is located for the city bus. Line 35 will take you in 10-15 minutes to Joliette, the same place where the free shuttle bus stop is. There is a ticketmachine at the port entrance but not at the busstop. The ticket can also be bought from the bus driver for €1,90.

While walking in the direction of the busstop, we asked several people where exactly the stop is or how to get to the city centre. Nobody did know anything so don't expect any help. We found the busstop by ourselves and how to get to the city.

I made a map with the busstops, the red arrow is for the free shuttle bus and the blue arrow is where bus 35 stops.

I hope it helps a little bit.

Skydrift's post is very helpful indeed. I would still advise anyone who intends to take the line 35 bus to rehearse the route before they go, using Google Maps and Streetview. Put Cap Janet Marseille France into the search box, then zoom in a lot. Select the Earth or Satellite view and you can actually see the green line that pedestrians are meant to follow to the port exit. After the green line runs out, just follow the footway round to the left and you will see the bus shelter on a freeway off-ramp.

I would also strongly advise that you rehearse the return trip from Joliette to make sure that you get off at the right bus stop. I do not know if Marseille buses have a "next stop" display or announcement. If they do, the stop you want is called Littoral Gourret, and the previous stop is called Littoral Bernabo. Littoral Bernabo is in a built-up area with a normal city street, but soon afterwards the environment changes completely to a freeway streetscape with scrubland verges and embankments. As soon as you notice this change, ring the bell because Littoral Gourret is the next stop. You will know when you are at the right place because there is a bridge over the road with two lanes marked L'Estaque and one lane marked Porte 4. From the bus stop, take the steps up the embankment, turn left over the bridge and the port gate is straight ahead.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters about this, it proved very useful when we docked in Marseille last week, on a Monday.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but thought I'd provide an update.

As, I say - we visited on a Monday, so the free port shuttle bus was not in operation. The location the red arrow points to in Skydrift's post was also currently undergoing roadworks, so not sure if it impacts the bus when operational.

We tried walking to the bus stop for the 35, just outside the port gates. However, were told that "it wasn't safe out there" by the man on the gate, and that it was for our own safety.

Instead, we could buy a ticket from the machine just inside the port gate, and board a special 35 service which does the same route to Joliette in Marseille, but only operates around every 50 minutes.

We found no indication of specific timetabling for this special service, but it appeared to leave Joliette at the same time as an ordinary service.

Hi

Thanks for the information. I will be on MSC Splendida and it docks on a Saturday

So you take the bus to the port entrance and then the metro? I thought we were already at the port. Sorry but I'm a little confused but this is my first cruise to France and I have no idea

Thank you

Hi

Thanks for the information. I will be on MSC Splendida and it docks on a Saturday

So you take the bus to the port entrance and then the metro? I thought we were already at the port. Sorry but I'm a little confused but this is my first cruise to France and I have no idea

Thank you

I think you need to read post number 84

Hi Sandi! I am not on your cruise, but was tagged on this question because I had made a similar inquiry last year. The free shuttle stop is just outside the port gate on the left, not far at all from where we were docked. As I recall there were walkways marked in green that directed you to the port entrance. The shuttle will take you non-stop to Joilette and I think must continually circle from there back to the port. It is several blocks (but very easy and enjoyable walk) to the Old Port, which is where we wanted to go. From there we took the little train up to Notre Dame de la Garde for the beautiful views. (The train circulates continually except during lunch break, which is lengthy, so you must be aware of timing.) - We returned to the Old Port and had about three hours to wander about before returning to the bus stop at Joliette. - From what I remember, the shuttle always runs on Saturday.

Hi

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi all

i took those free shuttle many times and its working without problems - you just had to walk those 600m to the stop(White roof) and the bus brings you as described nearby jolliette. from there you have many options like taking day tickets for the local network - for excample bus 60 to notre dame de la garde from old port- look at mittelmeerguide.de there you find informations about many locations

i like the bus 83 in marseille - he drives along the coast!

• 4 weeks later...

An update about the free port shuttle. It seems to run whenever there are ships in port. Follow the green walk line to the area to pick up the bus. About a 10 minute walk. It runs every 30 minutes. We were there on a Thursday last month (Oct 20th) Carnival Vista.

It drops off at Joliette.

Go through the exit to the street. Cross Joliette square to the metro station. 2 stops to St Charles train station. Buy return tickets from the machine, we used cash. I think it was 3.60 euros return.

At St Charles station follow signs to the bus stop. (There is a tourist info place there) Buses run every 10 minutes to Aix-en Provence. Return 10 euros pay on the bus. Easy peasy.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi does anyone know where the ships shuttle bus drops you we want to go to the old port then on the little train up to notre dame

thank you

Every shuttle we have taken (with multiple cruise lines over many years) has dropped us right at the old port area.

Hank

• 1 year later...

Our Ship, Crystal Serenity, will be at port Monday 5/27. I've read the free shuttle doesn't run on Mondays but also a post that says the shuttle runs every day there's a ship at port. Has anyone taken a free shuttle on Monday recently?

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone taken a free shuttle on Monday recently?

Hi ddame,

i was wondering the same, cause when I'm in port its monday too - and two oher cruiseships in port (9.april).

I just found an other thread here, somebody there reported the shuttle on a monday but that was may 2017. Seems there is no newer information availale.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493065

This shuttle stays a mystery...