New Free Shuttle - Marseille Port

Goldygolfer

I'll go on the assumption it won't be running on Wednesday, I'm assuming you're coming in on a relatively small cruise ship? It's impossible to walk out of the port, would take far too long without some sort of shuttle bus. It's a commercial port so not very safe either to walk the whole way out. I think it was 6 - 7km, 10 minute bus ride.

Thank you! Actually a very large ship - Anthem...but I guess from what you're describing we'll have to pay the $32 or $34 dollar round trip shuttle offered by the ship. Won't be the worst thing, but frustrating that the free shuttle operates on a Tuesday but not on a Wed!

Thank you! Actually a very large ship - Anthem...but I guess from what you're describing we'll have to pay the $32 or $34 dollar round trip shuttle offered by the ship. Won't be the worst thing, but frustrating that the free shuttle operates on a Tuesday but not on a Wed!

That's very strange then that they're not running the shuttle when such a large ship comes in but I guess they must have some reason or will decide to start the shuttle on Wednesday if Anthem hasn't been in port recently but sounds like you may just have to end up paying :(

For anyone looking at the image in my post of the times, keep in mind that is from the town to the port and was shown once we got off the bus, there was zero signage at the shelter in the port that we saw about times meaning the bus will actually leave at 9am from the port at the earliest, you can see it's written above the French, 5:30pm, so the time of the last bus is a bit confusing and was the time that Allure was leaving so that may in deed be true, if you really need to leave it past 4:30pm going back to the port then may be worth asking the driver to be sure.

Question :

After the free shuttle drop you off in Marseilles. How long is the walk to St-Charles train station ?

I'm planning to go in Aix-en -provence.

Thanks !!!

Thechamp555

Looks like a 20 minute walk: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/43.30353,+5.364890/Gare+de+Marseille+Saint-Charles,+Square+Narvik,+13232+Marseille,+France/@43.3033571,5.3641849,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x0!2m2!1d5.36489!2d43.30353!1m5!1m1!1s0x12c9c096e729d3b1:0xe27e4de8ab708ec5!2m2!1d5.380142!2d43.3032794!3e2

Thanks for all the useful info and photos, really helps us out.

We are planning on using this free shuttle and then walking round to the Petit Train and doing their tour to Notre Dame Cathedral which we hope will be nice.

Does the Free Shuttle Bus drop off and pick up from the same place?

We are planning on using this free shuttle and then walking round to the Petit Train and doing their tour to Notre Dame Cathedral which we hope will be nice.

Yes.

A lot of discussion about this issue :). Keep in mind that the taxi fares (about 28€) are per taxi, not per person! Even a smaller taxi can usually carry 4 adults so the one-way cost is about $8 (US) per person. Cruise ship shuttles usually cost more and often involve significant waits. So if you see some taxis and can grab another couple...go for it! And for those going to the St Charles Train Station (to grab a train (or bus) to Aix en Provence or possibly Avignon) a taxi even makes more sense since it will take you to the station. The shuttle bus drops you about a mile from the train/bus station.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

May I ask when are you going? I would love to know how far the walk is to the La Petit Train. Also did you book the train in advance? Did the train only stop at the Notre Dame? :)

May I ask when are you going? I would love to know how far the walk is to the La Petit Train. Also did you book the train in advance? Did the train only stop at the Notre Dame? :)

I will jump in. We assume you understand that the Petit Train is like a kiddie ride train that runs around various tourist routes in the city. You do not need reservations (not sure they even have reservations) and you just hop on when it comes to your area and away you go. Their routes stop at the Vieux Port (Old Port) which is the same area that the port shuttle buses drop cruise ship passengers. And if you take a taxi from the port just tell them to drop you at the Old Port. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

For those that want to stay in Marseille (one of our least favorite cities in all of France) it is a reasonable option.

Hank

I will jump in. We assume you understand that the Petit Train is like a kiddie ride train that runs around various tourist routes in the city. You do not need reservations (not sure they even have reservations) and you just hop on when it comes to your area and away you go. Their routes stop at the Vieux Port (Old Port) which is the same area that the port shuttle buses drop cruise ship passengers. And if you take a taxi from the port just tell them to drop you at the Old Port. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

For those that want to stay in Marseille (one of our least favorite cities in all of France) it is a reasonable option.

Hank

Thank you for jumping in :) I thought it was a tourist train, not a kiddie train ride. I guess I will decide when i get there.

Hi all,

Thought I'd share my recent experience given I found this and other cc forums handy planning my trip.

Previous posts regarding instructions to find the stop are correct - follow green line leading to no. 35 bus stop will lead you to the free shuttle stop with white canopy on your left just after you reach a roundabout intersection. You will pass the Seaman's club on your left on the way. Approx 15 min walk from getting off the ship. We got there at 12pm, and there were a few people waiting but luckily the bus soon arrived after we got there. No timetables posted.

Drop off and pick up point is at Hangar J1 at bottom of blvd des dames. It is probably a good 20min walk to La Petit train departure point at Vieux Port passing some scenic and not so scenic parts along the port. NOTE we did have to wait approx 50min for a 10min ride back. We had obviously just missed a shuttle as there were only one other couple waiting. So if that happens to you, I'd suggest jumping into a taxi since they are obviously not half hourly (as we had thought)

Hope this helps

Thank you for jumping in :) I thought it was a tourist train, not a kiddie train ride. I guess I will decide when i get there.

glad you got the answers you needed from Hanks, cheers Hank.

I too am going to decide when we get there, but we are using it for an easy way to get up to the top to see the Catherdral. So we know what we are expecting. We will see if it is worth it once we get their and weigh up our options

Hi all,

Previous posts regarding instructions to find the stop are correct - follow green line leading to no. 35 bus stop will lead you to the free shuttle stop with white canopy on your left just after you reach a roundabout intersection. You will pass the Seaman's club on your left on the way.

Drop off and pick up point is at Hangar J1 at bottom of blvd des dames. It is probably a good 20min walk to La Petit train departure point at Vieux Port passing some scenic and not so scenic parts along the port. NOTE we did have to wait approx 50min for a 10min ride back.

Hope this helps

Useful to know, thanks for the pointers

glad you got the answers you needed from Hanks, cheers Hank.

I too am going to decide when we get there, but we are using it for an easy way to get up to the top to see the Catherdral. So we know what we are expecting. We will see if it is worth it once we get their and weigh up our options

Will be interesting to hear your views. :)

We will be embarking (MSC Armonia) in Marseilles on Sunday Oct11 and plan to use the free shuttle from Joliette to the cruise port. Just wondering where the pick up point is and how does the bus look like?

Thanks for your help!

We will be embarking (MSC Armonia) in Marseilles on Sunday Oct11 and plan to use the free shuttle from Joliette to the cruise port. Just wondering where the pick up point is and how does the bus look like?

Thanks for your help!

Did you look at post number 46 of this thread?

The bus was white.

• 3 weeks later...

We arrive on 24/10, 09:00, looks like about 5 ships in port!!!

Thats a saturday, so I guess the free bus is working? As there are 6 of us we might go with a taxi!

We have called once before here...walked for miles looking for a taxi in town that fitted us.

• 2 months later...

Was there last month. The "Special" picked up at the regular #35 stop at Joliette. It was an articulated bus and stopped at the port entrance not far from the regular #35 stop, I suspect due to road work near the regular stop too tight for an articulated bus. It was straightforward, "Follow the green line" from there but a long walk. On the return, it looked like the regular stop was in use (still a fairly long walk with luggage). I can see why the cruise lines don't recommend this option, you need to be pretty self-reliant and used to public transit.

Just to comment on a previous post about the petit train (little tourist train): it's not a fully HOHO operation. There are two routes, both leaving from the north side of the Old Port (the quai du Port).

One goes round the Old Town (Panier) and one goes up to Notre Dame de la Garde. In both cases there is just one place on the route where you can hop on or off: the Vieille Charite and Notre Dame respectively. You buy tickets at the kiosk - I don't think it's bookable in advance. Note that the Panier route does not run in winter.

A public bus (no. 60) runs up the Notre Dame from the MuCEM and the Old Port and is a cheaper option. More about how to get around Marseille: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/practical-information/how-to-get-around

Just to comment on a previous post about the petit train (little tourist train): it's not a fully HOHO operation. There are two routes, both leaving from the north side of the Old Port (the quai du Port).

One goes round the Old Town (Panier) and one goes up to Notre Dame de la Garde. In both cases there is just one place on the route where you can hop on or off: the Vieille Charite and Notre Dame respectively. You buy tickets at the kiosk - I don't think it's bookable in advance. Note that the Panier route does not run in winter.

A public bus (no. 60) runs up the Notre Dame from the MuCEM and the Old Port and is a cheaper option. More about how to get around Marseille: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/practical-information/how-to-get-around

HOHO seem to be popular all over Europe. We are interested in finding quiet streets where locals hang out, good food, interesting colourful views, maybe share a bottle of wine, someplace authentic

. Not sure the tourist routes will get us there. Any advice....greatly appreciated!!

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

Thought I'd share my recent experience given I found this and other cc forums handy planning my trip.

Previous posts regarding instructions to find the stop are correct - follow green line leading to no. 35 bus stop will lead you to the free shuttle stop with white canopy on your left just after you reach a roundabout intersection. You will pass the Seaman's club on your left on the way. Approx 15 min walk from getting off the ship. We got there at 12pm, and there were a few people waiting but luckily the bus soon arrived after we got there. No timetables posted.

Drop off and pick up point is at Hangar J1 at bottom of blvd des dames. It is probably a good 20min walk to La Petit train departure point at Vieux Port passing some scenic and not so scenic parts along the port. NOTE we did have to wait approx 50min for a 10min ride back. We had obviously just missed a shuttle as there were only one other couple waiting. So if that happens to you, I'd suggest jumping into a taxi since they are obviously not half hourly (as we had thought)

Hope this helps

Great helps here for DIY tour in Marseille!