Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Does anyone know why the Royal by-passed Toulon? I thought it was supposed to stop there, but marinetraffic.com shows it going from Barcelona to Livorno. I can't find info anywhere I've looked on here.

It was never on the original itinerary.

This was posted on the 'Everything' thread on June 23rd...

Today marks the end of the Maiden Voyage of Royal Princess and the beginning of her first 'real' cruise in the Mediterranean.

Bon Voyage to all who are embarking today!!! :D:D:D

9113730098_9a90706015_b.jpg

THANK YOU to Shogun, SwissDave, and umbertsmum for all of the amazing pictures, details, and sharing of your personal experiences aboard Royal Princess. I didn't think it was possible but I am looking forward to my cruise on her even more now! It will be a wonderfully relaxing two weeks and December can't come soon enough! :D

Does anyone know why the Royal by-passed Toulon? I thought it was supposed to stop there, but marinetraffic.com shows it going from Barcelona to Livorno. I can't find info anywhere I've looked on here.

9113730098_9a90706015_b.jpg

No, it is not on the itinerary listed on the right, but it is on the map on the left.

sockets on back of TV for connecting things (that is my hand so you can get an idea of the space (lack of).

tvsockets_zps7b19813b.jpg

Dave,

Looks like there are HDMI connectors on the back of the TV. :confused: I have a cable that I can connect from my video recorder to a TV via HDMI so maybe I will be able to see what I have been recording on a large screen. That sure would be nice.

Thanks so much for the wonderful information and pictures. :D

Cheers

No, it is not on the itinerary listed on the right, but it is on the map on the left.

Yup. Just like I said, it was never on the itinerary. Any one of a dozen other cruise time tables web sites and travel agent sites would have also not listed Toulon in the itinerary. :D

Example:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonroyalprincess-23jun2013.html

Hi

Just wondering if there is open fwd deck on deck 15?

Thanks for all the great info, reviews and advice.

Peter

Here is a really good aerial of the forward end of Royal Princess posted on June 7th upon her arrival into Southampton. It shows that the forward facing superstructure consist of private balconies and windows for staterooms only.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38674076&postcount=4080

Dave,

Looks like there are HDMI connectors on the back of the TV. :confused: I have a cable that I can connect from my video recorder to a TV via HDMI so maybe I will be able to see what I have been recording on a large screen. That sure would be nice.

Thanks so much for the wonderful information and pictures. :D

Cheers

Yes, they are HDMI. I looked for other types as well but nothing else is accessible.

Thanks SwissDave for the cabin pictures. Mine will be one above you almost in L227. I don't think there will be any noise from deck chairs being set up about at The Retreat Pool but did you happen to notice if there was? You being on Marina probably kept you from hearing deck noise but thought I would ask.

Has anyone tried Fondues yet? We have a Melting Pot close by and the desserts especially are yummy!!

Thanks so much to all the one's who have posted after sailing!!

I didn't hear any noise, but I had cabins above me.

I did not try fondue (it is not every night, dates are published in the patter, reservations are recommended) but they were setting them all out one late afternoon. If they only set out what is reserved then it looked like quite a few people were trying it.

Looks like this particular voyage was scheduled to depart Barcelona a few hours later than our July 17 sailing, and has an extra sea day in place of Toulon.

I will be interested to see if all goes as scheduled for Istanbul. We are so looking forward to it, and haven't heard much on the news the last week or so about the political situation and protests there...fingers crossed ;)

Looks like this particular voyage was scheduled to depart Barcelona a few hours later than our July 17 sailing, and has an extra sea day in place of Toulon.

I will be interested to see if all goes as scheduled for Istanbul. We are so looking forward to it, and haven't heard much on the news the last week or so about the political situation and protests there...fingers crossed ;)

My grandaughter has been in Istanbul since February, attending the University. She says it's all OK, but the press instigate the demonstrators because it makes good national news. She will be coming home in August to resume her studies at Miami U. What Princess intends to do still remains to be seen.

Here is a really good aerial of the forward end of Royal Princess posted on June 7th upon her arrival into Southampton. It shows that the forward facing superstructure consist of private balconies and windows for staterooms only.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38674076&postcount=4080

Thanks for the link, I guess the fwd balconies are locked while at sea, but what about the ones on the ends?

Thanks for the link, I guess the fwd balconies are locked while at sea, but what about the ones on the ends?

From what we have gathered the Category MF Mini-Suites, which have balcony doors that open up to the side of the ship, are accessible when the ship is at sea.

My grandaughter has been in Istanbul since February, attending the University. She says it's all OK, but the press instigate the demonstrators because it makes good national news. She will be coming home in August to resume her studies at Miami U. What Princess intends to do still remains to be seen.

Wow...interesting...what a great experience for her studying abroad and seeing other cultures.

Will be following this voyage of the Royal...have been on the Europe boards and ships continued calling on Istanbul even during the most violent days of the protests...apparently the square they are in is not in the old town...

Really enjoying the pictures and all the information. Please keep it coming. Thank you.

Marty

And if anyone gets the chance to scan in the Patters that would be GREAT! I know they may be specific to the Maiden Voyage but it will be interesting to see what was offered on the 7-night cruise, and see if any of that may translate over to a Caribbean sailing. :D

Please forgive my possibly stupid question....why would someone pay for a balcony and then not be able to use it on sea days?...Why build them and charge for it then not allow the guests to use it?

I knew the list of ports had been posted, but when I looked, I couldn't find it. Thanks for answering my goofy question.

Hope everyone onboard is having a great time.

After looking at the balconies from all the angles that have been posted, I've decided it isn't as great as we had on the Diamond, but it won't be terrible. We're still going to have a great time.

Ann

Please forgive my possibly stupid question....why would someone pay for a balcony and then not be able to use it on sea days?...Why build them and charge for it then not allow the guests to use it?
because they didn't learn from, or remember, their previous mistakes :rolleyes:

Looking at the P&O version rendering, there are no forward cabins on that ship, but rather what appears to be a two floor forward observation area.

because they didn't learn from, or remember, their previous mistakes :rolleyes:

Looking at the P&O version rendering, there are no forward cabins on that ship, but rather what appears to be a two floor forward observation area.

Wonder how many of those rooms will go unbooked...also i wonder how the ship locks it. I have only booked 1 balcony in the past and dont recall seeing any key hole for the ship staff to lock it on us.......hmm would that be a safety issue if there was a fire and people were not able to get out into the hallway and the only other way out is the balcony door?

Archived