Windstar problem solved for now

katj323

we paid our $600.00 and are leaving in 5 days and are getting excited. I would rather pay the cost now, and try and recap it when I am home with the appropriate people. My question is..... they don't have my parents landing in Athens until 6 hours before the ship leaves port. I have no idea where the airport is in relation to the ship. Should I worry about this? Someone once said a few months ago that Windstar will hold a ship if a flight is delayed, that Windstar booked. Could that possibly be true?

If the air is booked through Windstar then they will hold the ship if the flight is delayed for an hour or two, and, they can still make up the time to the next port. If they are on a tight schedule, the ship will leave when it has to meet the schedule and the cruise line is responsible to get you to the next stop. The same thing goes for luggage. If you make it to the ship on time, but your baggage doesn't, then they will get it to you later in the trip if it isn't lost.

Based upon experience we try to get to the cruise starting point for overseas cruises at least a day before, so everyone is chilled and ready to enjoy the trip. We also make our own air reservations, so that we get to choose the route and carrier and get seats together. It has been our experience that it costs less and we can ensure we get direct flights most of the time.

I'm sorry that your first experience with Windstar has been so stressful. Enjoy the trip and worry about everything else when you get home.

We've got our eighth Windstar cruise coming up in two weeks and are already planning another one for 2006. They must be doing something right!!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! And enjoy every moment of your trip.

If I were you, I'd try to get my Dad to rethink his idea of complaining to fellow passengers. On a smaller ship, one of the most enjoyable experiences is really getting to bond with your fellow passengers. It would be a shame to lose out on that by being viewed as a negative person. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the other passengers. You know how being around positive folks really enhances your experience, but spending time with folks you label as "complainers" really seems to drain the life right out of you? Just keep in mind that these folks are meeting you all for the very first time. I'd hate to see you have a less than positive experience because you start out on the wrong foot.

Hopefully, your Dad can just relax and forget about it while onboard. Then, when you get home, you can follow up with the appropriate folks and try to get some sort of satisfaction. As one of the other posters noted, it always helps when you can submit a balanced letter of complaint.

And again, enjoy your trip! Please write a review when you get home. We get to see so few Windstar reviews. Every one is like a precious jewel. :)

Kathy

Archived