?? Handbags and backpacks at the Hermitage??

I copied this from the Hermitage Museum website, and feel uncomfortable having to leave my bag in a cloakroom.

Cloakroom

Entrance to the cloakrooms is through the Main Entrance Hall:

down the staircase is the Large cloakroom,

up the staircase is the Small cloakroom

You must hand over your outer clothing at the cloakroom. Large items: handbags, briefcases, backpacks, umbrellas and also liquids in any quantity including drinks should be taken to the storage locker at the cloakrooms.

It seems odd to me that nobody here has mentioned having to do this. Are there lockers to put your belongings in? Is it just large full sized back packs and shopping bag type bags or all bags? I get cold easily, will I have to leave my jacket behind?

It’s not like this would be a deal breaker or anything. I just want to be sure I am prepared and don’t go taking things I won’t be allowed to bring with me. I am also a huge photo taker. My photo tickets are included with the tours I’m considering, but will I be able to bring in an extra lens in a small camera bag?

Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Terri

That is an excellent question and I'm sure some of our recent returnees will be able to give you an answer. When we went, to be honest, I really do not remember.

I do know that something like this is not out of the ordinary. When we visited Pearl Harbor, you are not allowed to carry anything into the museum or onto the memorial. Not even handbags, camera bags, nothing and everyone complies. No lockers, just a baggage check where they give you a ticket.

Again, I'm sure some one will give you the correct answer.

Cheers

Len

It's a safe bet that you're visiting the Hermitage on a tour - either ship's tour or one of the local operators' tours. Your bus will drop you close to the Hermitage, and pick you up at the same place.

So just leave your bags & coats on the bus.

I don't see a problem with a lens case.

JB :)

I copied this from the Hermitage Museum website' date=' and feel uncomfortable having to leave my bag in a cloakroom.

[center']

[/center]

Cloakroom

Entrance to the cloakrooms is through the Main Entrance Hall:

down the staircase is the Large cloakroom,

up the staircase is the Small cloakroom

You must hand over your outer clothing at the cloakroom. Large items: handbags, briefcases, backpacks, umbrellas and also liquids in any quantity including drinks should be taken to the storage locker at the cloakrooms.

It seems odd to me that nobody here has mentioned having to do this. Are there lockers to put your belongings in? Is it just large full sized back packs and shopping bag type bags or all bags? I get cold easily, will I have to leave my jacket behind?

It’s not like this would be a deal breaker or anything. I just want to be sure I am prepared and don’t go taking things I won’t be allowed to bring with me. I am also a huge photo taker. My photo tickets are included with the tours I’m considering, but will I be able to bring in an extra lens in a small camera bag?

Does anyone have any experiences with this?

We just returned from the Baltics and yes, they will make you check large bags/backpacks in the Hermitage as well as a few other of the sites. From what I recall, Yusopov and Catherine's Palace would not allow them as well. Our tour guide actually advised us of this and told us that we could leave them on the bus to avoid having to check them. We were able to carry in our small camera bag and my cross over handbag. I also was able to keep my sweater on although to be honest with you, the temperature was quite warm in the sites. Hope this helps.

Dolfans from Miami

Agree with the other responses.

I was just there in June 2013, and our group left our bags on the bus.

As a matter of fact, for all the venues we visited during our 2 day tour, it was recommended by our SPB Tours guide that we leave our passports on the bus, and only take wallets into venues where we might want to make a purchase. This suggestion was due to the possibility of pickpockets.

During my 2 day stay in St Petersburg, I did not hear of any instances (at least from our cruise group on the NCL Star) of anyone having a pickpocket problem. However, it is certainly better to be safe than sorry.

May 21, 2013 Eurodam Baltic Cruise

Before arriving at the Hermitage, our SPB tour guide strongly urged us to leave our coats and large bags on the tour bus, to avoid having to check anything. She did say if you had on a short jacket, like a hoodie or sweater type, they would not make you check. Everyone was fine with this, except one hold-out who insisted she needed her very long coat as she was too cold without it. I admit to rolling my eyes, since we were dropped at the entrance and picked up at the entrance, but, hey, everyone is different. So, our entire group was held up while the guide had to take the hold-out to check her coat, then pick it up after the tour. We all survived.

Our guide did not ask us to leave our passports on the bus, but repeatedly warned us about pickpockets at all the popular venues. As far as I know, there were no incidents related to this.

As the previous posted indicated, it was really warm in the Hermitage. Leave your coat and big bags on the bus. Take your camera and have a great tour!

We are doing a private 4 person tour with SPB Tours in St Petersburg. Does anyone have experience with that situation and leaving our stuff in the car rather than on the bus?

When we went with TJ last year, we left our coats/umbrellas/bags in the car.

Archived