Bayport Cruise Terminal (Houston)

napunani

After living in Houston while the Bayport Cruise Terminal was being constructed and moving away only four years ago, I have been surprised by the negative comments being made concerning the facility. So, while I was visiting the area last week, I drove by. What I saw was an attractive facility with construction of additional parking and access from near-by Hwy 146 underway.

While it is located in Bayport, a port/commercial area, the area overall is similar to and no worse than those I have encountered when cruising from areas such as Long Beach, Baltimore, or Brooklyn.

Neither is it located in a barren area far from amenities such as lodging or restaurants or attractions. A ten-minute drive to the south brings you to the Seabrook and Kemah Boardwalk areas which are full of great restaurants and lodging options. Only a twenty-minute drive to the west is the Bay Area section of Houston (which abuts I-45 around the Bay Area Blvd. and NASA exits) and includes the JSC Space Center. shopping at Baybrook Mall, and every conceivable restaurant and lodging option.

It's a great area and services will only get better as the ships arrive.

The Google map view looks just fine :D

I booked a room at the Hampton Inn for the night before my cruise. It looks to be in a decent location just six miles or so from the cruise port. I won't have time to check out the Space Center, or the Kemah Boardwalk this time around though. Maybe next time.

For those who may not have Google Earth. Seabrook is only two or three miles from the cruise terminal and Kemah is about a mile past Seabrook. Plenty of hotels in the area and thinks to do. I marked the cruise terminal, the boardwalk, and Space Center Houston on the pic.

<a href=CruiseTerminal2_zpsec25d77e.jpg' alt='Cr

Question.. We will be flying Southwest into Hobby the day before. Would it be better to stay in a hotel close to the airport that has shuttle pickup and then hire a car to drive to the port the next morning or stay closer to the port. Wondering about transportation from hobby to the Seabrook area if we decide to book a hotel there.

For those who may not have Google Earth. Seabrook is only two or three miles from the cruise terminal and Kemah is about a mile past Seabrook. Plenty of hotels in the area and thinks to do. I marked the cruise terminal, the boardwalk, and Space Center Houston on the pic.

p><p>What we would do is stay at an airport hotel (free shuttle to and from the airport), then take the cruise line

Nice map! Can you show where LaPorte is? Thanks so much

Look at the highway (Hwy 146) going north out of Seabrook. From the intersection where you would turn off to go to the cruise terminal, La Porte is about three miles north on that same highway.

Thanks! It's nice to see the distance from above. LaPorte is really close to the cruise terminal, by seeing this :)! Year's ago we stayed at the LaQuinta, LaPorte, before a cruise. It was just barely okay.

Edited by Plant

• 4 weeks later...
We need to know if the transport options from Bayport to Hobby - does anyone know if there will be a taxi stand there? How can we find out? Thanks

Good question. I am also looking for options to get from Bayport to the Hobby Airport. Whether there will be taxis (and approximate cost) or to arrange for a car service to pick us up. I know there may be few answers until the cruises start up this fall but would like to know what my options are... Thanks for any help!

Good question. I am also looking for options to get from Bayport to the Hobby Airport. Whether there will be taxis (and approximate cost) or to arrange for a car service to pick us up. I know there may be few answers until the cruises start up this fall but would like to know what my options are... Thanks for any help!

We need to know if the transport options from Bayport to Hobby - does anyone know if there will be a taxi stand there? How can we find out? Thanks

While it might not be the least expensive option, I'd check out the cruise line's transfer from the port to the airport. We've used them many times and have had no problems at all. We get off the ship, claim our luggage, get on a bus, and go to the airport. Never had to wait, never was late :D!

While it might not be the least expensive option, I'd check out the cruise line's transfer from the port to the airport. We've used them many times and have had no problems at all. We get off the ship, claim our luggage, get on a bus, and go to the airport. Never had to wait, never was late :D!

That's what I think we will do - thanks

The ship's transfer is a good way to get to airport. If you have a late flight they sometimes also offer tours that sightsee the disembarkation city and then drop you off at the airport. I have found these to be ideal.

However on my next cruise which disembarks in Houston, Princess is offering such a tour but only one that ends at Bush Airport. My 6pm flight leaves from Hobby and Princess is not offering any tour that ends at that airport:confused: I am very disappointed and hope this changes before we end our cruise. Otherwise I don't know any alternative than spending the whole day at airport:eek: Any suggestions?

I hope you come back and give us an update on the parking situation. I'm sailing out of there on November 30 and will be driving over from San Antonio. I'd done all my research on Galveston, and then they switched. Sigh! Guess they needed to keep us passengers on our toes :rolleyes:

I drove out there this week. I told the gate guard I was "just another Looky Lou." He laughed and said "I've been here ten minutes and there have been three other cars looking; some of the people think that [cargo ship loading at the dock] is a cruise ship."

(The ship that was there would fit between the Bridge and MUTS. The Caribbean Princess will tower over the terminal!)

A big patch is cleared, sanded and will be paved soon, expanding the west side of the present parking lot.

The elevated ramp from 146 South to the port road is done; the one taking you back onto 146 N is halfway complete and these are nice.

For watching sailaways, it seems that the pier at Golden Acres Park would be a lot of fun. I did not see it until I was back home looking at a map... El Jardin Beach is nearby but it is TINY (like a dozen parking spaces max) and it has "$12 per adult" posted for non-residents of the sleepy El Jardin community.

I ate lunch at the Baytown Seafood restaurant on 146 in LaPorte - it's close, and good quality, service and portions for the prices. It's surrounded by all the fast-food places too.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I drove out there this week. I told the gate guard I was "just another Looky Lou." He laughed and said "I've been here ten minutes and there have been three other cars looking; some of the people think that [cargo ship loading at the dock] is a cruise ship."

(The ship that was there would fit between the Bridge and MUTS. The Caribbean Princess will tower over the terminal!)

A big patch is cleared, sanded and will be paved soon, expanding the west side of the present parking lot.

The elevated ramp from 146 South to the port road is done; the one taking you back onto 146 N is halfway complete and these are nice.

For watching sailaways, it seems that the pier at Golden Acres Park would be a lot of fun. I did not see it until I was back home looking at a map... El Jardin Beach is nearby but it is TINY (like a dozen parking spaces max) and it has "$12 per adult" posted for non-residents of the sleepy El Jardin community.

I ate lunch at the Baytown Seafood restaurant on 146 in LaPorte - it's close, and good quality, service and portions for the prices. It's surrounded by all the fast-food places too.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

thanks for the updated info.

I checked the port website and the ability to pre-pay for parking is still not up and running. Eventually, a week will cost $80, or $75 if you pre-pay.

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/parking/

They just rebuilt the whole interesection of Port Rd and 146 (they added flyover ramps) so it prob wont be all that bad. If it can handle the hundreds of trucks that use that intersection every week day a little cruise traffic on the weekend will be no big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

They just rebuilt the whole interesection of Port Rd and 146 (they added flyover ramps) so it prob wont be all that bad. If it can handle the hundreds of trucks that use that intersection every week day a little cruise traffic on the weekend will be no big deal.

That's really good to know. While we never had a problem getting to/from Hobby, I saw that there were many "opportunities" to have a problem :eek:!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Houston visiting a friend this weekend and decided to drive over to the port to check it out. There's still a lot of construction on the road, so I'm hoping that will be done in time for cruises to sail out of there. The parking lot is still blocked off by a gate.

IMG_9248.jpg.56de8f279ddc77732204c2fadeee1033.jpg

We are sailing out of Bayport in November. Flying in same day. We currently have Princess transfers but realized we won't be able to stop anywhere to get any "goodies" before boarding the ship. So was thinking about getting a taxi from Hobby to Bayport. There will be 4 adults plus probably 8 pieces of luggage. I called Yellow Cab there in Houston, and he quoted me $50, plus .40 cents per min if you make a stop. Was just wondering if that sounded about right? I also checked online at http://www.worldtaximeter.com and it showed like $28 including tip. So not quit sure which it would be. I would be happy with $50. Divided by 4 that's pretty cheap. Princess transfers are $28pp.

We are sailing out of Bayport in November. Flying in same day. We currently have Princess transfers but realized we won't be able to stop anywhere to get any "goodies" before boarding the ship. So was thinking about getting a taxi from Hobby to Bayport. There will be 4 adults plus probably 8 pieces of luggage. I called Yellow Cab there in Houston, and he quoted me $50, plus .40 cents per min if you make a stop. Was just wondering if that sounded about right? I also checked online at http://www.worldtaximeter.com and it showed like $28 including tip. So not quit sure which it would be. I would be happy with $50. Divided by 4 that's pretty cheap. Princess transfers are $28pp.

Is the princess $28 rt or one way? If rt and using the taxi fare of $50 (one way i assume) you are not really saving much one you add in tip and stop time enroute to the ship.

Edited by TruckerDave

Is the princess $28 rt or one way? If rt and using the taxi fare of $50 (one way i assume) you are not really saving much one you add in tip and stop time enroute to the ship.

Dave-Yes the Princess transfers are $28pp ONE WAY, however since there will be 4 of us, when we split the taxi fare it will actually be cheaper. $50 divided by 4 is $12.50pp as opposed to $28pp. But my main concern is really the fact that we will be able to stop at a store with the taxi and not with Princess transfers, therefore, saving us a lot of money down the road. ;-)

Edited by P.A.

But my main concern is really the fact that we will be able to stop at a store with the taxi and not with Princess transfers, therefore, saving us a lot of money down the road. ;-)

Here's a great goodies store halfway between.

They discount for cash.

Spec's

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu