Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

You are going on a 75 day cruise?! Great for you!

Well, you caused me to actually go add them up for the first time. It's a series of B2B's and the actual total is only 73 nights:o The good news is that we only have to fly twice, the bad is that one of the flights is a killer.

I just ran another "fun" number. Assuming that a couple made it to Pinnacle without sailing in suites (or short cruises in the old days) and using the new higher rate of tips, they would have spent $16,800 in tips not encluding drinks, taxis, porters, bellhops, hotels etc. The good news is that at the end, they get a free cruise worth about 10% of that, but of coarse they still need to tip during the free cruise:p

Well, you caused me to actually go add them up for the first time. It's a series of B2B's and the actual total is only 73 nights:o The good news is that we only have to fly twice, the bad is that one of the flights is a killer.

I just ran another "fun" number. Assuming that a couple made it to Pinnacle without sailing in suites (or short cruises in the old days) and using the new higher rate of tips, they would have spent $16,800 in tips not encluding drinks, taxis, porters, bellhops, hotels etc. The good news is that at the end, they get a free cruise worth about 10% of that, but of coarse they still need to tip during the free cruise:p

I think you should turn your calculator off. That number could cause me to need a drink!:D

Well then since my husband and I eat out a lot and tip about 20% most places I am sure our tab would be even bigger. But we tend just to think of it as part of the cost. No biggie to us even though we are not rolling in dough.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well then since my husband and I eat out a lot and tip about 20% most places I am sure our tab would be even bigger. But we tend just to think of it as part of the cost. No biggie to us even though we are not rolling in dough.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, compared to what I have to tip for the cruise, you are over tipping. I ran the numbers on the calculator and it come to a little over 6%.

Oh and while I'm on this thread Don. Your wife sounds a blast and you clearly have a good sense of humour. Sorry if I offended you.

No offense at all. If someone felt I was boasting, as anyone who knows even a tiny bit about me could tell you, that would bother me for sure. I am not a boaster in anyway.

I tend to write as I think and only meant too answer as our experiences allowed because they are all I draw from. We are extremely grateful to be able to do what we do and always want to treat others with respect and would and do apologize if I came off in a way I would never do on purpose.

I can promise this, at least a couple people by screen name on this thread know us from past cruises and visiting in the cl lounge and not one person to my knowledge has ever known we cruise in a certain kind of cabin unless they were in it.

I and my wife always want to be humble no matter what we do or dont have. I will be very aware from this point forward about being mistaken for any attempt to brag. Just the thought others would think that from something I post kind of makes me sick inside.

My best.

I just scared myself. Grabbed the calculator and added $24/day (2 people) times the number of days for my next cruise and it came to $1800. That does not enclude bar tips. Kind of wish that I hadn't done that. Was better to be oblivious maybe.:confused::eek::p There went my social security check.
Better than being oblivious would be to transfer your booking to a travel agent who will give you prepaid gratuities -- unless you are already using a TA who is giving you perks worth more than that.

Lots of us would love to be in your position and get to take a 75 day cruise. We can only dream -- maybe someday. :)

BINGO. I am not sure if people realize that crew members live on tips and send their entire paycheck home to their families.

How crew members use their paychecks shouldn't even factor into the equation here. That's like saying someone with 6 kids should be paid more than someone who is single for doing the exact same job. Stick with the guidelines set forth by the cruise line.

Before getting all huffy, I've been to mainland China several times and have seen 1st hand how the working class live there.

Tell this to the crewmembers....:rolleyes:

How crew members use their paychecks shouldn't even factor into the equation here. That's like saying someone with 6 kids should be paid more than someone who is single for doing the exact same job. Stick with the guidelines set forth by the cruise line.

Before getting all huffy, I've been to mainland China several times and have seen 1st hand how the working class live there.

Why are you rolling your eyes at me:confused:? Do you ask every service/hospitality person in a tipping position what their financial obligations are before renduring your tip? If the waitress at the diner is supporting 11 family members on her wages does that make her worthy of a greater tip than if she were only responsible for herself? I didn't think so.

I'm with NJcruisenewbie on this. I don't interview the crew members to determine their financial need, before determining how much to tip them. I just go with the recommended tips. If I feel like I've gotten exceptional service from someone, I'll add a little extra.

I agree. And as to the last part of your post, I guess some people around here think that they are more enlightened than the rest of us. Plenty of us have been to places other than the deck of a cruise ship.

I agree totally and think your post is an excellent one which a number of people on this board should actually read, consider and digest before becoming defensive, arrogant or presumptive.

Happy Cruising :-)

just off the Brilliance and our cabin steward was excellent so we gave him a tip.

Same with Chops and Concierge and barman.

Cabin Steward

We had prepaid for MTD and he knew this.

If you work out his time a week at 12 a day ie 84 hours a week

84 times 9 month contract 39 equals 3276 hours

12 cabins x 2 people x 3.85 divided by 12 hours equals an hourly rate of $7.70 an hour.

so if he is not stiffed $25225 for 9 mnths max (645 WEEK)

UK worker

The reason you do not see uk workers is because the minimum wage in the UK is $9 and the guide lines say that 48 hours is the Maximum.

Also overtime rates are usual paid for working in access of 38 hours with additional payments for working Sundays and public holidays.

28 day paid holiday a year is also a right for a 7 day a week worker.

he also has sick pay

most companies do not charge for there uniform.

UK worker $9 x48hr max x 52 weeks equals $22464 but actually only works 48 weeks

now add the 36 hours the cabin steward works at say 1.5 per hour rate

36 hours week x $9 x1.5 x48 weeks equals $23328 overtime

wages 22494 + 23328 equal $45822 for 48 weeks work ($955 A WEEK)

Plus sick pay, childrens tax credit/allowance,free health care and schools.

Then if you work a long way from home you have additional allowances for food etc

If you work abroad for over 6 months a good accountant will save you tax.

Of course these are just figures and nobody in the USA or the UK would work 84 hours a week for 9 months let alone a year away from home, unless the money was fantastic.

They, RCCL staff are there because it is fantastic Wage for most of them, good luck to them .

Told on our cruise over 200 withdrew the grats, two days before the last day and one was on MTD who cancelled on the 2nd day and still kept MTD.

j

Told on our cruise over 200 withdrew the grats, two days before the last day and one was on MTD who cancelled on the 2nd day and still kept MTD.

Is this information that someone voluntarily offered to you or did you put the effort into actively seeking it out?

j

If that's a correct figure its quite good to know its that low (BUT not low enough) as I thought more people would be trying to play the stiff game.

:)

I've just text my buddy who is on AOS to ask him to see his friend on GS to see if she will tell him how many on the current 12 night AOS Baltics sailing have asked for their gratuities to be removed from their accounts. I'm particularly interested with it being a UK sailing

. . . . . . I'll post when I hear from him ;)

Having repeatedly received outstanding service, tons of smiles, and quality cleaning and dining experiences on multiple cruises - it amazes us how some people go out of their way to resist/avoid expressing appreciation.

Much of the ship's crew works long hours, live in cramped quarters below deck, and are compensated at a rate most cruisers would never accept themselves. Those are the choices they make for their jobs, but these are no easy assignments.

Our belief is that it requires almost no level of intelligence to complain about poor service, but takes a great deal more thought and effort to notice/appreciate quality service.

We routinely add a specific gratuity to the base one as we observe and experience a job well done.

I've just text my buddy who is on AOS to ask him to see his friend on GS to see if she will tell him how many on the current 12 night AOS Baltics sailing have asked for their gratuities to be removed from their accounts. I'm particularly interested with it being a UK sailing

. . . . . . I'll post when I hear from him ;)

My buddy has just e mailed me back. On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

:eek: :eek:

We usually always tip everyone extra.. The staff works hard and we always get great service.

I will never forget our first cruise (old program) on the last night of dinner in the dining room there were probably less then half of the folks at dinner. We had a table with three lovely ladies from Florida that were long time cruisers. I asked them why was no one at dinner, was there some event we were missing? She shook her head and said most likely these people had not prepaid tips and did not plan on tipping the staff. I was shocked that someone would do that, to the waiters and assistants. Feels like stealing to me..

I am glad of the new policy of adding in tips, but I wish they would take it a step further and not allow people to take gratuities off.

But I have also seen a few on here post that they take off the tips so they can pay cash directly to their servers and cabin steward. I wonder what the percentage is of people doing that same thing?

And just my personal opinion if you can't afford the recommended amount to tip then you probably shouldn't cruise.. It is in my mind part of the cost of your vacation.

I posted this earlier today on a thread about WOW envelopes and thought it warranted a thread of its own even though it is 'another' gratuities thread.

I know this is me in the minority and a lot of you will have seen my views on tips before but...........

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person per day.

If you add up how much they are earning they are on a real good whack based on the number of rooms or tables/people being served.

I really do think $84 per week for a double occupancy stateroom is a very good rate when our last stateroom attendant serviced 12 rooms on IOS - a staggering $1,008 per week.

Thanks - Happy Cruising :-)

It's none of my business what anyone else earns. That said I believe the cruise line has figured out what's fair so I don't have to second guess them and leave my auto tips intact and don't feel any need to tip more.

Archived