Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

You mean that Americans never drink in London pubs?

You know what I meant. Tipping is neither the norm nor expected. And why should Americans not conform to British norms when we are in the UK? We certainly seem to expect the Brits to conform to American norms and customs when they are in the US.

BINGO. I am not sure if people realize that crew members live on tips and send their entire paycheck home to their families.

Another tipping thread. I just can't believe people actually think the $12 a day is going to one person.

BINGO. I am not sure if people realize that crew members live on tips and send their entire paycheck home to their families.

No of course they don't. If that was the case we wouldn't have a million threads that turn to crap because people don't tip or care when others tip more then needed. It's just funny when people try to justify the fact they paid for a cruise should be enough.

I think the other major problem is most people dont get to see first hand the conditions families live in at places like India, Philippines, Thailand, china and so on that most of the workers come from. Too many people live in a bubble and don't understand.

Did not read all prior posts so if I am breaking a thread flow excuse me.

We normally travel with five. Those are broken into one top suite and one inside for second or third bath, naps and overnighting if all don't stay in the suite.

We pay the steward $525.00 for a seven day. That is $75.00 per day or $15.00 a cruiser. Have never had a poor steward so are good with this plan. The man/ woman takes care of two rooms with one being substantial in size and always makes you feel like your entire family is very important.

When they feel like they matter also it makes for great interaction during the trip for us.

I am sure you get good service when you tip that much. You normally do when you buy/bribe the steward into treating you better than his other guests!

Don't get me wrong. I am sure he/she appreciates it but it's hardly a construtive post. no more than willy waving really!

No of course they don't. If that was the case we wouldn't have a million threads that turn to crap because people don't tip or care when others tip more then needed. It's just funny when people try to justify the fact they paid for a cruise should be enough.

I think the other major problem is most people dont get to see first hand the conditions families live in at places like India, Philippines, Thailand, china and so on that most of the workers come from. Too many people live in a bubble and don't understand.

I don't think people try to justify the fact that they've paid for a cruise and that's enough - I certainly have never done this. I do have the opinion that the $12 per day per person is enough. Some people do stiff staff and you will always get this whether at sea or on land.

(Stiffing is paying $0 or less than the suggested $12 per day on purpose just to reduce your 'bill' IMO)

I have seen first hand myself the conditions people live in, in countries like India, Thailand, Philippines etc. It is great that workers from these poor deprived countries can obtain jobs on cruise ships and I can really empathise and sympathise with their feelings and experiences based on my personal real experiences.

But..........they choose to send all their money home and live on tips and this can't surely be a justification for people on here feeling we have a responsibility/obligation to tip more than that suggested by RCI or tip in excess continually creating a culture of expectation and need (based on what staff get used to both on board to live on and what they can afford to send home to their families). IMO that argument/justification is not sensible.

Saying all this, I'm not in a bubble and I do understand.

As long as people pay the suggested tips, most staff earn a decent wage on board (especially if you then take it and measure it against the average wage or cost of living in the country they are from). On this thread I've seen the points about people stiffing and 2 people in a cabin etc. What I haven't yet seen mentioned is sometimes there are 3 or even 4 people in a cabin increasing the tip rate substantially on top of those suggested figures by various people (myself included) earlier in this thread.

I also want to say again that many people on the past couple of pages have moaned about 'another tip thread' again. Please.......if you don't like tip threads, don't read and them and especially don't bother wasting your time by posting on them otherwise it might be assumed that you protesteth too much and that you like them a little more than you say !!!............... just sayin' !

Happy Cruising Everyone :) :) :)

I am sure you get good service when you tip that much. You normally do when you buy/bribe the steward into treating you better than his other guests!

Don't get me wrong. I am sure he/she appreciates it but it's hardly a construtive post. no more than willy waving really!

This poster usually stays in the Royal Suite. He feels that his cabin steward deserves higher gratuities for better service.

I do not think that this is out of line, or something that needs to be criticized.

Thats a little harsh and unfair in my opinion, Newtoncruise.

I also feel your use of the parallel you've drawn is a little coarse.

Happy Cruising :-)

You may not agree but I think he hit the nail on the head

I also want to say again that many people on the past couple of pages have moaned about 'another tip thread' again. Please.......if you don't like tip threads, don't read and them and especially don't bother wasting your time by posting on them otherwise it might be assumed that you protesteth too much and that you like them a little more than you say !!!............... just sayin' !

I have to come into these threads (Tips, Formal Wear, Smoking) and read them. You are one of the people who provide my entertainment on here.....just sayin'!

g655115633g6.gif

I have to agree " a little course"

Well said!

I cannot criticize your opinion because I dont know the basis on which it was formed, but I can address the accuracy of it as it applies too the facts.

What we do with ship board professional personnel is the same thing we try with people in daily life, family included, which is this. "We choose to trust and believe you and in you unless you give reason to feel otherwise"

Out of dozens of cruises we have had almost -O- reason to not be impressed highly by the quality and excellence of both the people we encounter and the way they represent themselves and their company.

The feeling of being treated like family going both ways, contrived or not is because of the interaction and treatment, not knowledge of the level of tip for service, because that happens the last evening in person. Therefore, the outstanding level of service received over all these cruises, companies and numerous people have been either because they do it as a matter of pride,

training, or any number of reasons, but not known amount of tip.

As I said, it works for us so far and I feel it is fair in OUR case.

One more note that some may disagree with also. On some sailings, we never go to the main dining room for service. We spend each sit down service in room or specialty restaurant. However, the ships planners have a table or tables set aside for us if we want to come. That ties the service staff assigned to that table to be available if we were to arrive. So, we tell them the first night that they will receive full tip. We think it is the right thing to do. It does not make us special, privileged, or better, or worse. Just seems proper.

Oh, and my wife said it would be less embarrassing if I would steer clear of a willy waving contest.

I don't think people try to justify the fact that they've paid for a cruise and that's enough - I certainly have never done this. I do have the opinion that the $12 per day per person is enough. Some people do stiff staff and you will always get this whether at sea or on land.

(Stiffing is paying $0 or less than the suggested $12 per day on purpose just to reduce your 'bill' IMO)

I have seen first hand myself the conditions people live in, in countries like India, Thailand, Philippines etc. It is great that workers from these poor deprived countries can obtain jobs on cruise ships and I can really empathise and sympathise with their feelings and experiences based on my personal real experiences.

But..........they choose to send all their money home and live on tips and this can't surely be a justification for people on here feeling we have a responsibility/obligation to tip more than that suggested by RCI or tip in excess continually creating a culture of expectation and need (based on what staff get used to both on board to live on and what they can afford to send home to their families). IMO that argument/justification is not sensible.

Saying all this, I'm not in a bubble and I do understand.

As long as people pay the suggested tips, most staff earn a decent wage on board (especially if you then take it and measure it against the average wage or cost of living in the country they are from). On this thread I've seen the points about people stiffing and 2 people in a cabin etc. What I haven't yet seen mentioned is sometimes there are 3 or even 4 people in a cabin increasing the tip rate substantially on top of those suggested figures by various people (myself included) earlier in this thread.

I didn't say you specifically, but there have been plenty of people who moaned about having to pay tips on these boards.

I just scared myself. Grabbed the calculator and added $24/day (2 people) times the number of days for my next cruise and it came to $1800. That does not enclude bar tips. Kind of wish that I hadn't done that. Was better to be oblivious maybe.:confused::eek::p There went my social security check.

I just scared myself. Grabbed the calculator and added $24/day (2 people) times the number of days for my next cruise and it came to $1800. That does not enclude bar tips. Kind of wish that I hadn't done that. Was better to be oblivious maybe.:confused::eek::p There went my social security check.

You are going on a 75 day cruise?! Great for you!

I cannot criticize your opinion because I dont know the basis on which it was formed, but I can address the accuracy of it as it applies too the facts.

What we do with ship board professional personnel is the same thing we try with people in daily life, family included, which is this. "We choose to trust and believe you and in you unless you give reason to feel otherwise"

Out of dozens of cruises we have had almost -O- reason to not be impressed highly by the quality and excellence of both the people we encounter and the way they represent themselves and their company.

The feeling of being treated like family going both ways, contrived or not is because of the interaction and treatment, not knowledge of the level of tip for service, because that happens the last evening in person. Therefore, the outstanding level of service received over all these cruises, companies and numerous people have been either because they do it as a matter of pride,

training, or any number of reasons, but not known amount of tip.

As I said, it works for us so far and I feel it is fair in OUR case.

One more note that some may disagree with also. On some sailings, we never go to the main dining room for service. We spend each sit down service in room or specialty restaurant. However, the ships planners have a table or tables set aside for us if we want to come. That ties the service staff assigned to that table to be available if we were to arrive. So, we tell them the first night that they will receive full tip. We think it is the right thing to do. It does not make us special, privileged, or better, or worse. Just seems proper.

Oh, and my wife said it would be less embarrassing if I would steer clear of a willy waving contest.

Your additional info is most interesting and casts a different light on the original information you posted. The information that lead me to form my original opinions, which although a little coarse were that you were being boastful. I think you were.......

What I failed to acknowledge was the title of the thread and you were in fact just commenting on how you pay more than the 12 dollars suggested.

You clearly cruise at a different level to me. I hope and aspire to join you at that level at some point in the future. It sounds fun to have a back up cabin for naps and the like!

Had you have posted your second post as your first I would have understood your points better.

Happy cruisin'

This poster usually stays in the Royal Suite. He feels that his cabin steward deserves higher gratuities for better service.

I do not think that this is out of line, or something that needs to be criticized.

I was not as informed as you as to the identity of the poster. I did feel it was boastful and the criticism was justified based on what I read. Others seem to feel the same as me and you. It's a forum!

Archived