Cheapest duty free Coz-Belize-Roa-Cayman

Of the 4 ports Cozumel-Belize-Roatan and Cayman, which has the cheapest duty free liquor, and or should I go alittle further off the reservation to find cheaper booze?

It doesn't matter where you buy it, it is duty free when re-entering the US as long as you do not exceed the amount allowed by customs.

I don't remember exacly what that limit is...but 4 quarts (a gallon) seems to be bouncing around in my head.

Remember, that is per person, so if you, your wife, all 11 of your adult children bring back a gallon each...that's a lotta booze!!! :D

You will find the largest selection of alcohol to purchase in Cozumel. At the dock in Cozumel used by Carnival you actually walk through the store on your way to the mainland. The store has the usual touristy stuff, snacks, jewelry, and liquor. I normally purchase a bottle or two of vodka for my collection. The liquor prices are very reasonable. Even if you go over your allotted limit the duty fee is very inexpensive. I've purchased over the limit a few times and wasn't even told by the Customs Officer that it was necessary to pay the fee. Sometimes there too busy to take the time to fill out the form to collect the added fee.

Don't know where a gallon came from. For the ports you're going to it is ONE litre PER PERSON you can bring home. However sometimes they overlook it if you have a box for 4 bottles.

If you go to St. Thomas each person can bring back 5 -FIVE- bottles. One is supposed to be made in US Virgin Islands but I have never seen them look at the bottles to see if you have one of those.

Some ships will match the price you find ashore. Ask before you shop! If they do you only have to buy one bottle and take the ship the reciept. Then buy as many as you want and the ship will match the price.The ship doesn't care how many you buy and they don't tell customs who bought what.

Of the 4 ports Cozumel-Belize-Roatan and Cayman, which has the cheapest duty free liquor, and or should I go alittle further off the reservation to find cheaper booze?

1 litre per is correct except from St Thomas. It is all within a few cents of the same everywhere, it wont matter where you buy from. If you want to bring back more, you can pack it in your luggage and run the chance the 'sniffers' wont stop at your bag:D

Definitely cheaper prices and more selection in Cozumel. If you intend to purchase alcohol on your cruise that's the place where you should buy it. I've never gotten off of the ship when we stopped in Belize and I really didn't notice too many liquor stores when we were walking around the touristy area of Roatan, Honduras.

Archived