Diabetic Diet -*sigh* -

Lady_Gamecock

Greetings All!

Even though I'm not a diabetic (I'm actually hypoglycemic), my Endocrinologist has requested that I be on a Diabetic/Low-Carb Diet. I pretty much regulate my food, and I've been on enough RCCL cruises I already have the Windjammer planned out in my mind; however, the Dining Room is a completely new experience for me. Does anyone know what they put on their "Diabetic Menus"? And "diabetic diet" doesn't always mean "low carb" (which is more important for me).....

Deserts aren't a big deal for me - it's the pastas, rice, etc.... (Yes, I'm Asian and I can not have rice....killer.)

Anyone have a scan of a Diabetic Menu? Or any insight. *sigh* This whole new way of eating is completely new to me; however, I have lost 17 lbs in the past three weeks! :p

Thanks for your help!

Lady_G

You should be fine if you stick with the steaks, chicken and seafood, with vegetables. You should find something low-carb. You might also want to check the option on your profile at the RCL web site. Watch out for hidden sugars in the sauces.

You should be fine if you stick with the steaks, chicken and seafood, with vegetables. You should find something low-carb. You might also want to check the option on your profile at the RCL web site. Watch out for hidden sugars in the sauces.

Yes, my TA requested that they provide me the Diabetic Menu. I was hoping someone had a copy of what it looked like.

Agreed, sauces are naughty!! :D

Lady_G

I am not sure they give you a diabetic menu. I believe they just point you in the right direction on the regular menu before ordering. At least that is what they do for my sister that is allergic to MSG. I agree stick to the meat & veggies available nightly and you would be fine as long as you know which veggies to avoid. I was on a diabetic diet when I was pregnant and more then a 1/2 cup of rice or pasta was a big NO NO! That was 19 years ago though. My Mom cruises with us and is diabetic but never even needs to request the special diet, she knows what is right and what to avoid. Good Luck, sure you will be able to find plenty. A good headwaiter can point ya in the right direction as well.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Don't sigh. :) You'll be fine. Think of it as a lifestyle change, a change for the better, and one of the side effects is weight loss.

This thread may be moved, I'm not sure, since it really isn't specific to RCI. This is discussed regularly on the Cruise Foodies board and I will include the link to a lengthy thread in which several of us participated.

My advice would be to research this on your own and be informed and prepared to eat outside your own home. Waiters and head waiters do not always know about the diabetic passenger's needs, and sadly, many people are misinformed that it is "about the sugar". It's not - it's about the carbs. Personally, I would not rely on the wait staff to help you on this.

Don't worry - there are plenty of foods available to the diabetic cruiser, or those who wish to follow such an eating plan. Mostly, you are looking for high-protein foods, lots of fresh vegetables but limited fruit (high carbs!), whole wheat products, high-fiber foods. When we travel, I take along some pre-packaged food from home for excursions or in the airport, like nuts and high-fiber bars.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361583 <--click here

Enjoy your future cruises and your new, healthy lifestyle!

I'm a diabetic and have never requested the menu. I know what not to eat and go from there. I just have a taste of potato and usually avoid any rice and/or pasta. You can probably tell the waiter no starches and extra veggies. I know DH tells him to leave the veggies off his plate because he won't eat them, so you can have his share! I order the fish most nights and scrape off most of any sauce. It's the rolls I have a problem with! I'm so glad they don't leave them on the table!!

But I get plenty of walking in and usually come home a couple of pounds lighter than when I started! :D

Way to go on your weight loss! Keep up the good work!

I am not sure if there is an actual diabetic menu. My daughter is hypoglycemic, she eats more proteins and limits carbs intake. She actually will have a few desserts too. There is always chicken or steaks available. Limit breads and potatoes go for veggies and salads.

I have Type 2 diabetes and have cruised many times and have never ordered the special diabetic diet. In reality, the idea of a "diabetic diet" is 20th century thinking. There are no restrictions as to what a person with diabetes can eat these days (that includes candy, cake and sugar folks! :eek:) within boundries involving portion control, carb limits and watching fats. It is not rocket science but involves some self education. The American Diabetes Association offers excellent educational material on the subject.

Life is way different when my father was around. He used to joke that the diabetic diet was "If it tastes good, spit it out, you are not allowed to eat it.":D

Bottom line: I have maintained blood glucose control during my cruises ordering from the menu or grazing in the buffet.

I may be wrong but I have been led to believe that special diets are pre-frozen and thawed and heated on board. I am not cruising and eating TV dinners when others are having good stuff. ;)

Edited by Doug R.

RCCL does NOT have a diabetic menu just as restaurants on shore generally to not have a diabetic menu. It's up to the person to be educated in what they should be eating and is not up to the cruise line.

After having being DX'd as diabetic or having been RX'd a such a diet for other ailments , one's doctor generally recommends that the patient make an appointment with a Licensed Dietitian so that the education process of how to eat can be begin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

After having being DX'd as diabetic or having been RX'd a such a diet for other ailments , one's doctor generally recommends that the patient make an appointment with a Licensed Dietitian so that the education process of how to eat can be begin.

Excellent point! My dietician got me off to a great start and steered me to resources to help such as nutirional content guides that list calories, carbs, fats, etc. She also made us quite aware of what constitutes a portion which is smaller than most everyone thinks.

In addition to my previous post it should be stated that sauces should be avoided as much as possible as they are often loaded with carbs such as butter and flour as thickening agents which are a hidden menace to someone trying to maintain a diabetic diet. If whining off of sauces will be hard for you, than suggest you bring something like a Mrs. Dash seasoning with you to take the place of the sauce.

A huge thank you for your suggestions on "what to eat". I am seeing a Diabetic Dietitian and we're working on it here on land before we go on the cruise.

I should be good. I eat only proteins these days (sans sauces and bread) and it's OK - I am getting bored with it, though.

I look forward to seeing what RCCL "suggests" that I could have; however, thanks for the tip that the foods might frozen. YIKES!

Looks like I'll be eating steak, eggs, and salad. No too shabby.... Just getting bored with it. :D

Lady_G

A huge thank you for your suggestions on "what to eat". I am seeing a Diabetic Dietitian and we're working on it here on land before we go on the cruise.

I should be good. I eat only proteins these days (sans sauces and bread) and it's OK - I am getting bored with it, though.

I look forward to seeing what RCCL "suggests" that I could have; however, thanks for the tip that the foods might frozen. YIKES!

Looks like I'll be eating steak, eggs, and salad. No too shabby.... Just getting bored with it. :D

Lady_G

It doesn't have to be boring, you just need to get used to doing things differently. Try spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. Use eggplant or zuchinni as pasta sheets to make a lasagna. Just cut them lengthwise and roast in oven for a 1/2 hour and them layer as you would pasta. Roast vegetables in the oven or on the grill. Fresh herbs, ginger, garlic are great to help mix things up. Watch out for the bottled stuff that can have lots of hidden salt and msg.

Do as your dietician says but you do not have to go totally carb-free to manage diabetes.

Eating out or on a cruise is more challenging but watch your portion sizes and follow the rules you do at home.

My boss is a relatively non-compliant Type 2, and his doctor really stresses the FIBER content of foods, to the point of calling them "almost like negative carbs".

For example, if my boss is going to eat a snack bar, he can have anything up to a total of X grams of net carbs, and to figure the net amount, he takes the actual carb gram count and subtracts the fiber gram count.

Don't limit yourself to meat/protein b/c veggies and fruits have carbs in them -- the fiber content helps to offset the carbs.

Your Registered Dietitian should be a big help to you. Also check to see if there are support groups in your area -- sometimes the best people to learn from are the folks who are already living the life!

Lady G, you must have some carbs. Please do not go completely carb-free as this is not healthy. Take in good carbs - whole wheat bread/grains (brown pasta is OK to have!), sweet potatoes, brown rice, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, bran - you just need to be smart about it and know the carb content of your foods. :)

Type II diabetic which I control totally by diet and never have a problem with the regular menu.

There's lots more involved than just watching carbs.

LuLu

~~~~

I also have Type II. I also control what I eat and have never had a problem with the regular menu. The one thing that I have not seen on this post is what I try to do every day. Walk & Exercise! That is as important as your diet! Too many people just want to watch their diet and not exercise, that is why there is more involved then just watching carbs. LuLu is absolutely right on this. Every morning you can find me walking the track on the ship, I also rarely have a problem with the lines at the elevator I walk up or down. Yes sometimes I get lazy & use the elevator but usually only to go up.

I can't remember for sure if Royal is one of them but sometimes the spa/fitness center will have programs on healthy eating. Those could be beneficial.

Roy

I would be leery of these; generally these are less informational sessions and more a disguised adversarial to try and convince you that you must purchase an expensive product or treatment from the cruise line spa/fitness center. I overheard one of these while working out on a cruise and was a bit appalled by some of the persuasive antics and pressuring the "presenter" was utilizing, essentially trying to mislead naive people that he had their best interests in mind and that the really expensive treatment he was marketing would significantly change their lives for the better.

I would be leery of these; generally these are less informational sessions and more a disguised adversarial to try and convince you that you must purchase an expensive product or treatment from the cruise line spa/fitness center. I overheard one of these while working out on a cruise and was a bit appalled by some of the persuasive antics and pressuring the "presenter" was utilizing, essentially trying to mislead naive people that he had their best interests in mind and that the really expensive treatment he was marketing would significantly change their lives for the better.

Ouch! Thanks.

Roy

I actually emailed RCI (twice!) trying to find out specifics for a low-carber.

I know I can eat fish and veggies, but I was hoping they could give me a carb count on some of their more popular foods, like their garlic soup and sugar free deserts.

The first person said no, so I emailed them again and they said no, too! :(

So, official answer is no nutritional info available on their dishes, they said because they change dishes frequently.

But you know they have some dishes they have all the time that they would know about! :rolleyes:

So I either have to decide to only eat my fish and veggies like I do at home, or take a risk on how many carbs something might have and try it anyway! :eek:

I actually emailed RCI (twice!) trying to find out specifics for a low-carber.

I know I can eat fish and veggies, but I was hoping they could give me a carb count on some of their more popular foods, like their garlic soup and sugar free deserts.

The first person said no, so I emailed them again and they said no, too! :(

So, official answer is no nutritional info available on their dishes, they said because they change dishes frequently.

But you know they have some dishes they have all the time that they would know about! :rolleyes:

So I either have to decide to only eat my fish and veggies like I do at home, or take a risk on how many carbs something might have and try it anyway! :eek:

Yes, I was hoping that RCCL could have provided me the same thing. Everyone talks about managing my carbs the same way I do at home - well, at home I know what I put into my meals and if we go out, I research it prior to going to that establishment (if they have something posted).

I'm new to this low carb lifestyle so I'm still constantly researching what veggies have carbs/what might have hidden carbs (I love soups and most of them are high in carbs). I'm having a hard enough time on land finding low-carb foods (going to Whole Foods, a lot), I just wanted to do my "homework" before we leave in July.

Yes, exercise is a huge part of the Diabetic Diet. I exercise 1000% more on cruises than I do at my desk at work (although, I do walk a lot at work, too).

I plan to drink a ton of water (I love desalinated water aboard ship!!!!) and let that help work for me, too. The water at my work "can" contain lead, so I've been transporting my own back and forth.....

Hopefully, I can continue to do well on my diet and I'll be able to buy a new wardrobe for our NEXT cruise... :D

Lady_G

There are a lot of books on the market (and available as e-books, so you could load them onto your phone or Kindle or iPod Touch or whatever, and probably apps too, for that matter) that give carb counts for generic food items.

With time you'll get good at guesstimating things like "how many ounces are in this bowl" and "how many cups of veggies would this be". Then you just look up the item in your book, and do the math to calculate the the carbs in front of you.

If your book says that a cream-based soup (like the garlic soup) is X number of carbs per 16 ounces, and your bowl looks like it contains 10 ounces of soup, then you divide X by 16 to get the carbs per ounce, then multiply by 10 to get the carbs in your bowl.

Millions of people do this every day.... it really isn't rocket science, and you WILL become proficient at it!

Greetings All!

Even though I'm not a diabetic (I'm actually hypoglycemic), my Endocrinologist has requested that I be on a Diabetic/Low-Carb Diet. I pretty much regulate my food, and I've been on enough RCCL cruises I already have the Windjammer planned out in my mind; however, the Dining Room is a completely new experience for me. Does anyone know what they put on their "Diabetic Menus"? And "diabetic diet" doesn't always mean "low carb" (which is more important for me).....

Deserts aren't a big deal for me - it's the pastas, rice, etc.... (Yes, I'm Asian and I can not have rice....killer.)

Anyone have a scan of a Diabetic Menu? Or any insight. *sigh* This whole new way of eating is completely new to me; however, I have lost 17 lbs in the past three weeks! :p

Thanks for your help!

Lady_G

as a relatively recently diagnosed diabetic I hear ya!! Holland America's procedure is to have you make your choices the night before but for me that's not what I wanted. So, I pick and choose on the menu. It's not hard to ask for the potatoe to be left off and extra veggies or sub a sweet potatoe for a regular one. I pretty much eat a no carb meal and then enjoy the sugar free dessert option (always one plus an ice cream choice).

My waiter got to know me and provided valuable assistance when I needed it. He even said one night that "you can't have that".

AND I have lost weight on a cruise so don't let others scare you that you can't.