Diamonds in December, NOT this year!

We all knew the day would come. :(

At least I will save some money in December. We typically tried to cruise for several weeks in that month. Now we can just watch the prices and go if we find a deal we like.

Meeting a lot of other Diamond members was pretty nice. On the cruises we've been on, the pair on the Liberty during DID was easily the most D and D+ members we've encountered.

Got to compare notes on a lot of cruising. Not bad.

Not every reward has to be concrete.

These days you will have an opportunity to meet LOTS of Diamond members on most all ships/sailings - not just December. There are MANY Diamond member in the program.

Enjoy

M

These days you will have an opportunity to meet LOTS of Diamond members on most all ships/sailings - not just December. There are MANY Diamond member in the program.

Enjoy

M

Well, the sailing I'm talking about was the first two Liberty's last december, and since then we've been on 3 cruises, and only one of those had anywhere near the number of D and D+. And that was because it was the last sailing of the Monarch.

Many, sure. But not as many.

For us, personally, all this does is delay when we become Pinnacle. Yea, not much. Still need 500 MORE points. :eek::eek::eek:

It is disappointing they are not having the DID this year...double points were very nice....both it doesn't surprise me a lot...last year's event was a real step DOWN from previous years...no gifts...no special events...almost as if they were phasing it out then...I will not change my cruise plans for Dec. though...I enjoy seeing the ship decorations...and prices are very good on my budget...

The incentive to sail on Royal in December is reduced somewhat. Afterall, we would still get some C&A points, if not double points. However, I would take a serious look at Celebrity sailings at that same time. Whichever one, Royal or Celebrity, that offers the best price and itinerary combination in early December will get my business.

As it stands right now, we did book a cruise on Independence for December. We'll probably stick with that this year, but in 2014 we will check out what Celebrity is offering too.

I just don't get it as to "why" they are not having the D Event this year.

After all, the gifts that they do give ( a lousy magnet for the your door, a lapel pin, that costs nothing to make ) are not all that and we can do w/o. That's it! :rolleyes:

The extra points they give to us, costs them "nothing".......

So what is the big deal?

They get us "accustomed" to something ( 4 years) and now they pull the rug from underneath our feet. Very discouraged and disappointed. :o

Will definitely be cancelling 3 cruises for December. Looks like RCI will be the losers........in the end.

Enjoy

M

That's the truth. There are actually TOO many D and above on December sailings.

I'm glad they aren't having it. Now people will cruise because they want to, not for the points.

I would think the lower level people weren't exactly pleased with the program. Maybe they'll have a GID this year so Gold members can catch up. ;) Or GPEID.

All I want is price protection for early bookings. And to be able to use the shareholder's credit on ALL bookings. I still believe everyone should be able to benefit from holding shares of RCI no matter which booking program they use - on board, coupon or otherwise.

But that price protection is my number one annoyance with RCI.

Gina

That's the truth. There are actually TOO many D and above on December sailings.

I'm glad they aren't having it. Now people will cruise because they want to, not for the points.

I would think the lower level people weren't exactly pleased with the program. Maybe they'll have a GID this year so Gold members can catch up. ;) Or GPEID.

All I want is price protection for early bookings. And to be able to use the shareholder's credit on ALL bookings. I still believe everyone should be able to benefit from holding shares of RCI no matter which booking program they use - on board, coupon or otherwise.

Gina

You and me both!

We all knew the day would come. :(

At least I will save some money in December. We typically tried to cruise for several weeks in that month. Now we can just watch the prices and go if we find a deal we like.

Guess I'll just see you on the BR some other month,huh??;)

Were they already booking under the promotion? My in laws booked us on a cruise for December 1st with a slew of freebies and such (as described by MIL) and I was wondering whether the deal was somehow related to DID (we are all Diamond members). If so I wonder if all this free stuff they thought we would get will evaporate.

Were they already booking under the promotion? My in laws booked us on a cruise for December 1st with a slew of freebies and such (as described by MIL) and I was wondering whether the deal was somehow related to DID (we are all Diamond members). If so I wonder if all this free stuff they thought we would get will evaporate.

No one was told officially there would be a DID event this year...so no promises should had been made.

No, the promotion for this year had not been announced. In previous years, it was announced in August.

It sounds like your in laws were booked with some sort of travel agent promo, which would be independent of Royal's December thing.

[quote name='mommabean']That's the truth. There are actually TOO many D and above on December sailings.

Gina[/quote]

That's the reason we don't cruise in December. Will rethink that now.

[quote name='ksuds']We all knew the day would come. :(

At least I will save some money in December. We typically tried to cruise for several weeks in that month. [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Now we can just watch the prices and go if we find a deal we like.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/quote]

There are some great deals already out there. If you like the southern route check out the Jewel for Nov/December. Very good balcony GTY pricing. With the D+ discount the pricing is under $650 per person.

[quote name='mommabean']That's the truth. There are actually TOO many D and above on December sailings.

Gina[/QUOTE]

[quote name='clarea']You and me both![/QUOTE]

add me too!

Actually - I also think there are too many D/D+ sailing in December ( I was too chicken to say it) to really even enjoy the D/D+ general perks. Lounges are so crowded we don’t bother to try to go. No events as advertised, but that is OK as I imagine if there was an event - it would be very crowded.

M

My cruise leaves November 27 so I was missing out anyway. But sorry for those who were looking forward to it. I'm sure RCCL realizes people will be canceling now but I guess they have factored that into their decision. Maybe those ridiculously high rates for Quantum are a way to make up for the loss.

[quote name='seacat65']I just don't get it as to "why" they are not having the D Event this year.

The extra points they give to us, costs them "nothing".......

[/QUOTE]

We had not made it to D+ when they made the decision to eliminate D members from the CL. We all know what a beating Royal took on that issue. So they came up with the D Lounge/Event and D members have that option.

The "cost" of doing the DID is that so many D members started booking and earning those points that more D members have made it, or are close to being, D+. Once again, the "cost" is that the CL is not big enough. On our cruise in March, the CL had an overflow area. One Suite person ended up at the D Event and complained about smokers being in the overflow area and how he deserved better brands of liquor and appetizers!

Like it or not...the fact is that the Suites do cost more money and for a person that spends a premium for a cruise not to be able to get into the CL...that is going to get Royal's attention.

[quote name='beachnative']The problem is the huge number of guests that take advantage of this program....so postponing it to January or February would not solve their "problem".

Maybe they should change it to "Diamond Plus in December".:eek::D;)[/QUOTE]RCI communications on the DID have referred to another promotion that will be announced in the near future. I wonder if it will only be for D+ and Pinnacle.

Diamonds in December....Bhaa Humbug ,who cares?
your all diamonds,what will you get extra,not much.you already get 3 hours free drinks,free photos,etc,etc. as for talking to other diamond members ,you can talk to them in diamond lounge or con club.
And remember there are other folk on the cruise too,who are not yet diamond maybe you could share your stories with them too:)
Merry Xmas:)

Archived