Diamonds in December, NOT this year!

I said nothing about taking away anything from anybody. It's all about marketing. Throw these newer people a bone or a little incentive and they may return. It's all about sales. That's why the marketing execs make the big bucks. To come up with ways to increase sales.

Right. Like all those fabulous new commercials. :rolleyes:

It may be that the "email" may have been sent internally to employees and somehow was leaked to a CC member? Just guessing but sounds more plausible.

That does seem plausible, but the original post reads as if addressed to guests or TA's, rather than to internal staff.

Hi all, Just received this email, thought I would share it with everyone as I know a lot of people were waiting to hear...

It is with our deepest regret that we must inform you that the Crown & Anchor Society will not be hosting a December Celebration for the 2013 holiday season. In the past, this promotion served as a surprise appreciation to our top tier members. Here at Royal Caribbean International, we are always thinking of new ways to reward our most loyal guests. While we understand the disappointment this announcement may cause, we ask for your continued patience as we prepare new and exciting programs for the future.

Was really hoping...guess they will plan something else...

This doesn't seem like an internal memo. Why would they regret telling their employees. I still haven't seen a reason for this e-mail Was it in response to a question. I can't see Royal picking out one or two people to send this to. Actually I'm surprised they would even put this in writing. I,too, am disappointed that there will be no DID this year. I was assuming our NO cruise would make us D+. Guess I'll have to change my signature. Oh well, our May cruise will do the trick now. I just want to make sure we reached D+ for our Allure cruise as that will make a difference in amenities.

It makes sense for RCCL to market to new cruisers.

There have been many TV programs about the cruise industry and how profits are made. It is known that often the cruise fare does not cover the cost to run the ship for the week, except for perhaps the priciest suites. The industry relies on the on board purchases such as excursions, photos, shipboard purchases, spa, gifts, drinking etc. In fact a recent TV program even highlighted how the ship total for on board spending is examined every day, there is a daily ship target and if that target is not met, then they will “step up” opportunities for us to spend money on board.

First time or infrequent cruisers often spend quite a bit on board. There are RCCL excursions planned in every port, photos, drink purchases, soda packages, spa visits, specialty restaurants, gift shop purchases, etc., etc., etc. Naturally, there are exceptions, but these spending trends are known by the industry.

Many veteran cruisers are often quite the opposite and often brag that they don’t spend any money once on board. They have been to the ports, and if they do purchase an excursion, do it independently, don’t need photos, or use the C&A coupon, drink in the DL/CL, use coupon for specialty restaurants and even try to use the BOGO first night coupon another evening, don’t book spa treatments, and the list goes on. Naturally, there are exceptions.

So – it makes sense to market to the newer cruiser. The WOW sale is the perfect example. It is most valuable to newer cruisers. Get those new cruisers on board, show them a great time and hopefully they will return.

RCCL did not take anything away, by not offering a diamond promotion in December. I am amazed at the folks who feel they are entitled to a point promotion, simply because it was offered in the past.

M

There have been many TV programs about the cruise industry and how profits are made. It is known that often the cruise fare does not cover the cost to run the ship for the week, except for perhaps the priciest suites. The industry relies on the on board purchases such as excursions, photos, shipboard purchases, spa, gifts, drinking etc. In fact a recent TV program even highlighted how the ship total for on board spending is examined every day, there is a daily ship target and if that target is not met, then they will “step up” opportunities for us to spend money on board.

First time or infrequent cruisers often spend quite a bit on board. There are RCCL excursions planned in every port, photos, drink purchases, soda packages, spa visits, specialty restaurants, gift shop purchases, etc., etc., etc. Naturally, there are exceptions, but these spending trends are known by the industry.

Many veteran cruisers are often quite the opposite and often brag that they don’t spend any money once on board. They have been to the ports, and if they do purchase an excursion, do it independently, don’t need photos, or use the C&A coupon, drink in the DL/CL, use coupon for specialty restaurants and even try to use the BOGO first night coupon another evening, don’t book spa treatments, and the list goes on. Naturally, there are exceptions.

So – it makes sense to market to the newer cruiser. The WOW sale is the perfect example. It is most valuable to newer cruisers. Get those new cruisers on board, show them a great time and hopefully they will return.

RCCL did not take anything away, by not offering a diamond promotion in December. I am amazed at the folks who feel they are entitled to a point promotion, simply because it was offered in the past.

M

Using your reasoning, why would you want them to return?:rolleyes:

M

Perception!!!

We cruise 28 to 50 days per year, we spend a lot of money on the cruise cost along with purchases onboard, our last cruise we spent $12,000 in the art on royal program alone, we also use the speciality restaurants, bars, onboard shops and we tip our staff very well. We have known couples go cruising and spend very little when on the ship, that is up to them.

Not sure what all this palony is about attracting new cruisers.

It's not important enough for me to cancel our cruises in December but I fully understand the disappointment it's causing lots of people.

This is all about PERCEPTION, obviously it's a crime.

Nice post.

I think many are disappointed. You are. I, too, am a bit disappointed. But I am not angry. I do not feel I was promised DID 2013. I do not feel by having DID for four years, the company now owes us another event, or owes us an explanation, or owes us longer notice. For most, do not feel complaints are warranted. If a LA did mislead somebody, I can understand complaining about the LA's behavior, but such a complaint is about the LA rather than about a nonevent.

When someone spends their hard earn't cash on something I leave it to them to decide if they have reasons for not being happy with their purchase, before, during or after.

But... not at the expense of the most loyal!

Carnival made this decison, namely, to focus on new cruisers. They proceded to actually cut the perks of their Platinum cruisers.

How has this worked out? Simple... more business for RCCL and NCL. In addition, those who have left Carnival are frequent cruisers who sail multiple times a year.

In all honesty, I do not want to see RCCL become another Carnival!

Perception!!!

We cruise 28 to 50 days per year, we spend a lot of money on the cruise cost along with purchases onboard, our last cruise we spent $12,000 in the art on royal program alone, we also use the speciality restaurants, bars, onboard shops and we tip our staff very well. We have known couples go cruising and spend very little when on the ship, that is up to them.

Not sure what all this palony is about attracting new cruisers.

It's not important enough for me to cancel our cruises in December but I fully understand the disappointment it's causing lots of people.

This is all about PERCEPTION, obviously it's a crime.

No company has an obligation to announce the end of a temporary, year-by-year marketing promotion. The email was in response to question sent to them questioning DID for 2013. Why in the world would Royal (or any company) send out a mass email saying "we're not doing this in 2013" ????? Marketing is for announcing new promotions and reminding customers of existing one. Does Burger King send everyone an email saying "The BOGO special we ran last weekend on chicken sandwiches will not be running this weekend" or does Toyota let everyone know "The $1,000 promotion on new car purchases we ran in 2012 is not being renewed in 2013."?

You folks need to get over your disappointment and move on! (Fine something important to be upset about please.)

No company has an obligation to announce the end of a temporary, year-by-year marketing promotion. The email was in response to question sent to them questioning DID for 2013. Why in the world would Royal (or any company) send out a mass email saying "we're not doing this in 2013" ????? Marketing is for announcing new promotions and reminding customers of existing one. Does Burger King send everyone an email saying "The BOGO special we ran last weekend on chicken sandwiches will not be running this weekend" or does Toyota let everyone know "The $1,000 promotion on new car purchases we ran in 2012 is not being renewed in 2013."?

You folks need to get over your disappointment and move on! (Fine something important to be upset about please.)

I LIKE your e mail very much - well put :-)

I LIKE your e mail very much - well put :-)

And Aesop would be proud of this entire thread as well:D So many foxes and so few grapes;), and all the foxes can think to do is make more whine:eek:

And Aesop would be proud of this entire thread as well:D So many foxes and so few grapes;), and all the foxes can think to do is make more whine:eek:

...........................and people like you don't even need to part of this thread if you don't like it or it annoys you !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...........................and people like you don't even need to part of this thread if you don't like it or it annoys you !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, I find it quite humorous:p sophomoric and puerile at times, but overall, quite humorous:rolleyes:

Here here! Well said and my sentiments exactly.. Not everyone has to agree but this is spot on

You folks need to understand a little more of what you're reading before replying. Then again that can be said about more than just you on this site.

We get a look at this site only once in a while, yet it's the same culprits poking their nose in other people's affairs, almost like they know what they're talking about.

From page 1 to 15 you have people saying the same thing and then congratulating each other.

I'm not sure what these people would do if the CC Server went done, oh the thought!

You make good points, but I don't think it totally applies. There are Loyalty Ambassadors who told on-board bookers DID would continue. We were told that last December.

Why is there always one post where we are told to get over it? There is always one one post by the arbiter of what should be important for RCCL customers.

We get a look at this site only once in a while, yet it's the same culprits poking their nose in other people's affairs, almost like they know what they're talking about.

From page 1 to 15 you have people saying the same thing and then congratulating each other.

I'm not sure what these people would do if the CC Server went done, oh the thought!

Jules, you haven't changed a bit! I thought you gave up on cruising after your explosion problem and then again after your art purchase problem? So wonderful to see you back again.

You make good points, but I don't think it totally applies. There are Loyalty Ambassadors who told on-board bookers DID would continue. We were told that last December.

Why is there always one post where we are told to get over it? There is always one one post by the arbiter of what should be important for RCCL customers.

Speculation on the part of the LA does not require action on the part of the company. EVERYONE KNEW that the DID program was a temporary program and NO ONE could know if were going to be offered again for 2013 UNTIL it was announced. (If you chose to believe the LA and booked only because of DID, cancel and all is fine. No reason to complain when you caused the problem by accepting as truth something that defies logic. Think it through.)

And... "Why is there always one?" If you took the time to read the thread page by page you would see that I'm not the only one and we try to get you to stop because it is sad to see you all beating your heads against the wall.

We were told that DiD would be happening in 2013 by the Loyalty Ambassador on Adventure last year.

What is the big problem with people being disappointed with the change of heart by RCCL?

RCCL will know in time if this decision was in their best interest.

It would be great to see some on here with egg on their face if RCCL change their mind on this one!

Jules, you haven't changed a bit! I thought you gave up on cruising after your explosion problem and then again after your art purchase problem? So wonderful to see you back again.

Neither have you kid, thank god for CC eh :cool:

Archived