B2B disembarkation question

Kerry&LuAnn

We are planning a B2B cruise to Alaska (northbound Vancouver to Whittier and then back southbound to Vancouver), booked as one 14-day cruise rather than two consecutive 7-day cruises. After the first leg, do we need to disembark in Whittier, wait around, and then go through the embarkation process again?

You will get a new cruise card for the second week. You will have to go to the gangway during the day to close out the old card and activate the new one.

I do not believe this is true, since they are booked as one 14 day cruise. but I will know for sure on July 24, when I do the same thing! EM

I just did the Vancouver - Whittier - Vancouver B2B. You will get a new cruise card for week 2 delivered to your stateroom the day before turnaround.

If you don't want to leave the ship you will meet in a designated location. Our meeting time was 9:30 am in Club Fusion. They may have chosen that space because we had a lot of B2B passenger - over 400.

Once they have the security staff in place we exited club fusion on the port side, had my old card scanned to "disembark", took a quick right turn to walk 20 feet to another security person, and had my new card scanned to "embark". Then off you go to enjoy what will be (for at least a few hours) a very quiet ship.

Rather than stand in line at Club Fusion, I just grabbed a seat to read a book, and waited for the line to dwindle to only a few people. Total time was about 30 minutes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

.....and yes, I did book as a 14 day cruise, and I had the same stateroom for both legs (not having to pack / unpack was a blessing). It won't matter if you book as one 14 day or two 7's. The process will be the same.

Don

I do not believe this is true, since they are booked as one 14 day cruise. but I will know for sure on July 24, when I do the same thing! EM

Several of our b2b crusies were booked as one cruise. We always get a new cruise card for the second leg.

I have done this 3x in Alaska. They will receive a new cruise card and will need to go to the gang way on turnaround day and activate the second card. Sometimes they organize people to do this as a group (if not leaving the ship that day) and other times they just tell people to do this during a certain time period.

Whittier is the one US port where you don't need to get off the ship. You will receive paperwork during the cruise as to what you need to do, etc.

I was not aware that you could stay on in any US port. What is different about Whittier?

I was not aware that you could stay on in any US port. What is different about Whittier?

You clear US Customs in Vancouver at the pier as you are leaving Canada. So ever port after that is a US port. No need to go through Customs and Immigrations in Whittier as you have not visited any foreign port since leaving Vancouver.

They will not go through Customs/Immigration again until they get off in Vancouver.

You clear US Customs in Vancouver at the pier as you are leaving Canada. So ever port after that is a US port. No need to go through Customs and Immigrations in Whittier as you have not visited any foreign port since leaving Vancouver.

They will not go through Customs/Immigration again until they get off in Vancouver.

100% correct, but it does lead to an interesting question.

Purchases aboard ship (duty free and not duty free) usually have to be listed on the customs form. USA Passengers ending their cruise in Whittier do not need to fill out a customs form and do not go through customs. USA residents who end their cruise in Vancouver are supposed to list these purchases on the form they turn in at the Vancouver airport when they go through customs there.

We are planning a B2B cruise to Alaska (northbound Vancouver to Whittier and then back southbound to Vancouver), booked as one 14-day cruise rather than two consecutive 7-day cruises. After the first leg, do we need to disembark in Whittier, wait around, and then go through the embarkation process again?

If this is your first time in Whittier, why not get off the ship and take an excursion offered locally that day? See the Alaska board on Cruise Critic for some excellent suggestions.

Agree. This was the first B2B we've done since South America (with a turnaround in Buenos Aires) that we didn't have to go through immigration.

Agree. This was the first B2B we've done since South America (with a turnaround in Buenos Aires) that we didn't have to go through immigration.

We did B2B with a Coastal from Vancouver to LA and then a Mexico trip RT LA and did not have to disembark/do Customs either. We missed Victoria due to winds and didn't have to do anything in LA. Not sure what would have happened if we did stop in Victoria.

I have done one other B2B and could stay on the ship but can't remember which cruise it was.

If this is your first time in Whittier, why not get off the ship and take an excursion offered locally that day? See the Alaska board on Cruise Critic for some excellent suggestions.

I agree. The Prince William Sound trips are wonderful.

Just completed is same cruise. They give a cruise card for the first week. The last afternoon the room steward leaves an envelope with the new next week. If you get off the ship in Whittier you'll have to take both cards with you. Unless you have a tour there isn't a lot to do in Whittier.

100% correct, but it does lead to an interesting question.

Purchases aboard ship (duty free and not duty free) usually have to be listed on the customs form. USA Passengers ending their cruise in Whittier do not need to fill out a customs form and do not go through customs. USA residents who end their cruise in Vancouver are supposed to list these purchases on the form they turn in at the Vancouver airport when they go through customs there.

What happens if you don't fly? If you do the Vancouver/Vancouver and drive?

Just completed is same cruise. They give a cruise card for the first week. The last afternoon the room steward leaves an envelope with the new next week. If you get off the ship in Whittier you'll have to take both cards with you. Unless you have a tour there isn't a lot to do in Whittier.

And I've been told that the coffee card is good for both cruises if purchased as 1? Just wanting to be 100% sure before we buy one and find out we need another!

All passengers regardless of method from Vancouver will have to make a Canadian Customs declaration. People flying to the US will have to fill out a US customs form at the airport . At land crossings you`ll make a verbal declaration to US Customs.

.....and yes, I did book as a 14 day cruise, and I had the same stateroom for both legs (not having to pack / unpack was a blessing). It won't matter if you book as one 14 day or two 7's. The process will be the same.

Don

This is good to know as I booked a similar cruise. My question is can I disembark after the 7 days and return to the ship with a bottle of wine and not be charged a corkage fee because it is the start of a new cruise.

This is good to know as I booked a similar cruise. My question is can I disembark after the 7 days and return to the ship with a bottle of wine and not be charged a corkage fee because it is the start of a new cruise.

good queston! I, too, wonder what the reply will be!

Yes

Other posters have reported that they could bring on a bottle of wine at the turnaround port.

• 1 month later...

Don

How do you book 2 7-day cruises b2b as a 14-day cruise? Does Princess offer the cruise as 14-days in addition to 7-days? We are thinking about this for 2014.

Archived