RCCL -One huge let down

When leaving the state at Honolulu Airport you have to put your checked bags on a conveyor to be scanned for agricultural inspection. A bit of a pain but it is down low so you really just push the bag on.
Your mistake was acting independent, strong and capable.

If you look weak, helpless and confused, they load the bags on to the conveyor for you. :D

All I can say, is that I've been to a alot of places, with alot of luggage, and have found that if you wave money in the air, someone will come to carry it for you.:D

As for waiting until buses/shuttles are full before you get to leave, that's pretty standard. That's how the shuttles make $$. They lose out if they are driving around burning gas with 4 people in a 60 pass. shuttle. That's why I take cabs, they go where I say, when I say.;)

Again, wave money, it works!!!:eek:

Well put.

But as you explain this concept to certain types of people:rolleyes:, make sure they understand they need to give said money as a tip to the person doing the labor. Waving money then putting it back in their own wallet could be hazardous:eek:.

Upon arrival to Hawaii at the port there was no porters to handle our luggage.

We had to carry all our bags up an escalator to security and lift 50 lb plus bags onto X-ray belt , then carry to our rooms. Departure was just as painful. Got off ship at 8:15 , waited 20 minutes to get to bag area , sat on bus for one hour and was told that it could'nt leave until full. We had an eleven 11 am flight. We ended up taking a taxi to airport and just made flight as doors were closing.

I wrote to Royal Caribbean and waited 3 weeks for an answer and all I got was we were to be told that our bags should be left in front (unguarded) downstairs

and someone was to have picked it up. This never was told to us:(

I am an avid cruiser and have never experienced that before with any cruise line that we have taken.

We were very disappointed With RCCL and there response. Our future cruises will be with other companies that know how to treat their customers

Perhaps they had an inkling that you were not going to tip them:D:D

Anyway, that was a joke. There could have been a strike or perhaps you mistook all hawaiian shirt clad guys as tourists.;) The lack of porters is not the cruise line's fault. Don't give up on any cruise line because of that.

Does anyone travel with suitcases that are not on wheels these days? So aren't we talking about WHEELING suitcases and then having to lift only?

Sadly,I have relatives who refuse wheeled luggage...because the wheels might one day break!!

We had to carry all our bags up an escalator to security and lift 50 lb plus bags onto X-ray belt , then carry to our rooms. Departure was just as painful. Got off ship at 8:15 , waited 20 minutes to get to bag area , sat on bus for one hour and was told that it could'nt leave until full. We had an eleven 11 am flight. We ended up taking a taxi to airport and just made flight as doors were closing.

I wrote to Royal Caribbean and waited 3 weeks for an answer and all I got was we were to be told that our bags should be left in front (unguarded) downstairs

I am an avid cruiser and have never experienced that before with any cruise line that we have taken.

We were very disappointed With RCCL and there response. Our future cruises will be with other companies that know how to treat their customers

I wouldn't say just problems with your luggage and porters means that RCI is "one big let down".

What about the actual cruise, staff, service, amenities ?

The luggage and porters is probably not even 1% of what RCI did for you.

Happy future cruising :-)

An avid cruiser with just 3 posts. I think this thread was just made up and don't believe one word of it. Thousands of people boarding a ship and no one to check your luggage at the curb? Take your med's today?

So ... does Hawaii actually have a cruise terminal now? I thought they just sort of converted freight terminals for the day. Granted my experience was on NCLs Pride of America, but there were plenty of porters at the makeshift cruise terminal on either end of the cruise ... but maybe the surf wasn't up those days. ;)

Bye Bye..Don't let the ship hit you in the a.. as you leave !:eek:

Luxury cruise lines have long realized that a customer's last impression of a cruise is critical, and they have worked very hard on getting it right. Likewise, they do very well at on-board and post-cruise communications. Mass market cruise lines have tried to improve the departure experience, as well as on-board communication (they seem to have given up on shoreside communications) often by emulating luxury lines. I don't know the personal circumstances of the original poster, but I would have found the departure disappointing, as I find some of the replies to his/her post.

Don't think the OP will be back...Think there is more to the story here. Since when does the cruise line let you carry 50lb bags onto the ship? They won't fit in the scanners.

I am glad I am not the only one that found this part of the story sketchy... I thought you were not allowed to take more then a carry on size on board by yourself..

And to the OP did you read the paper work they send to every cabin on debarkation instructions? I have always left my luggage out (unless self disembarking) and not had a problem.

I hope you enjoyed some part of your cruise, I can't imagine going to Hawaii and not having a good time.

Regarding the "luggage train" concept, I became a master at this method when I used to travel alone with my young son.

Because he needed a carseat on the plane, I bought a little retractable-handled wheeled luggage cart thing (like a tiny, fold-up "dolly" or "hand-cart" like movers use) for about twenty bucks at Target. It came with an elastic ribbon-thing for lashing the luggage to the cart, but I found it to be too weak/stretchy, so I replaced it with a couple of the colored bungee cords (not the black rubber ones, those leave black marks everywhere).

Then I fastened the carseat to the cart, and put my carry-on bag (a backpack I used for a diaper bag) in the carseat with the carseat straps hooked through one of the bag's straps so it couldn't fall off or be snatched.

My luggage set has "connector straps" built into it -- there is a plastic buckle (female end) on the top of the suitcase, with a detachable strap that had the connecting (male) end plus a strap loop with another complete buckle on it. This is also known as an "add-a-bag" system.

To make a luggage choo-choo train, I clipped the strap onto my biggest suitcase's buckle, then put the loop part through the handle of the next suitcase and buckled the loop back to itself. Then I took the second suitcase's connector strap and used that to connect the carseat/cart contraption to the second bag.

I put the kid in the stroller and push that with one hand while dragging the choo-choo train behind me with the other hand. Stroller/kid - mom - big bag - medium bag - carseat/cart - backpack. Fortunately the kid is now 13yo and doesn't need a carseat or a diaper bag, and he's big enough to roll his own suitcase now too! :D

If your luggage doesn't have a built-in add-a-bag system, you can buy straps to do the same thing. Just keep an eye on the handles if you do this -- as all of the weight gets transferred to that one connection point. (Shouldn't be a problem with decent-quality luggage, but just something to be aware of.)

Here are some of the products that are available -- google for "luggage connector straps" to find other sources.

Lewis N. Clark Add-A-Bag Luggage Strap

Travelon Multi Bag Stacker

Add-A-Bag Luggage Strap

Travelon Bag Bungee (slightly different concept -- fastens a smaller bag [sitting on the top edge of your wheeled bag] to the handle of your roller bag)

Your mistake was acting independent, strong and capable.

If you look weak, helpless and confused, they load the bags on to the conveyor for you. :D

People keep telling me that, but I've been independent for so long, when I am incapacitated I have trouble accepting my condition. :(

One wonders if the OP is one of those posters who have alternative identities. :eek:

NOT to defend him/her but OP has been a member here for 10 years; methinks one who was looking to troll might do so under a new handle/screen name. But who knows! :D Also, someone who posts with an ulterior motive will usually sit back and watch for replies. OP hasn't checked in since 2 minutes after the original post was written.

NOT to defend him/her but OP has been a member here for 10 years; methinks one who was looking to troll might do so under a new handle/screen name. But who knows! :D Also, someone who posts with an ulterior motive will usually sit back and watch for replies. OP hasn't checked in since 2 minutes after the original post was written.

If OP has several identities created over the years he/she might have chosen this one to post with by mistake. ;)

An avid cruiser with just 3 posts. I think this thread was just made up and don't believe one word of it. Thousands of people boarding a ship and no one to check your luggage at the curb? Take your med's today?

How many posts is someone required to have in order to share a complaint here without being subjected to personal insults?

How many posts is someone required to have in order to share a complaint here without being subjected to personal insults?

The Cruise Critic Constitution/By-laws are being composed as we speak. Stay tuned...:rolleyes:

Archived