Balcony smoking, would you rather...

The balcony thread which has now derailed into a smoking thread got me thinking. Imagine if you will that you are encountered with the following two possibilities, AND that the smoke was coming onto your balcony. Which would you rather.....

... Have a neighbor who smokes cigarettes regularly on the balcony, such the the majority of the time you went out on your balcony, he or she was smoking?

OR

Have a neighbor who late in the evening, say around 9:30 or 10:00, spent 40-50 minutes smoking a cigar?

Either one as I don't think balcony smoking is as much an issue as people here make it. Yes I have been on the balcony when people next door are smoking, but as soon as you catch a whiff, it is gone just as quick. So either one wouldn't matter to me. Smoke away.

If it is a cheap, nasty, boot leather cigar then definitely the cigs. However if it's a fine, high quality, wonderful cigar like the kind I'm on my balcony smoking then the second option:eek:

Either way the anti smoke crowd will condemn both options and tell us how we are putting their health at risk, burning down cruise ships, causing rain forests to die, responsible for the Lindbergh kidnapping etc. etc. etc. so really prepare yourself to be torched. No pun intended. Well maybe a little pun intended:p

No, but why should I be forced to smell your smoke?

Pretty sure if you were trying to enjoy your balcony but someone upwind was using their to store dirty diapers, you might complain as well :)

I don't mind you smoking, just so long as Im not forced to smell it (and get to use my balcony)

Pretty sure if you were trying to enjoy your balcony but someone upwind was using their to store dirty diapers, you might complain as well :)

I don't mind you smoking, just so long as Im not forced to smell it (and get to use my balcony)

Fair enough. However, if you are on a line that allows cigarette smoking on the balcony (as RCI does), I am curious as to what you would prefer. I am of the impression that according to MOST people, a reading of RCI's rules indicates cigar smoking is not allowed on balconies. However, as much as people like to complain about it here, I am assuming most people don't actually complain about it on board (either to the offender of the cruise line).

So, if you HAD to encounter either of these scenarios, which would you pick?

If it is a cheap, nasty, boot leather cigar then definitely the cigs. However if it's a fine, high quality, wonderful cigar like the kind I'm on my balcony smoking then the second option:eek:

Either way the anti smoke crowd will condemn both options and tell us how we are putting there health at risk, burning down cruise ships, causing rain forests to die, responsible for the Lindbergh kidnapping etc. etc. etc. so really prepare yourself to be torched. No pun intended. Well maybe a little pun intended:p

Easy easy ...you have no proof that someone would accuse you of kidnapping the Lindbergh baby if you smoked on your balcony.

So unless you have the exact post and date and time it was posted ....or you happen to be Bruno Richard Haupmann (and even that is questionable ) BE CAREFUL :) *LOL*

Why not book on Celebrity where there is a no smoking policy in place on their balconies if it is that much of a nuisance. Those that choose to smoke on their balcony on RCI are not breaking any rules so really why fret over it. IMHO of course.

Dolfans from Miami

Or get a aft room.. No smell at all but diesel

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

Lol...but....WRONG! We had an aft! No diesel smell but unable to use the balcony 95% of time because neighbors lived on the balcony smoking!

Would definitely rather have the neighbor smoking 1 cigar per day! Especially if they were kind enough to give us a "heads up" on what that time of day would be!

I'd obviously rather have neither but if I HAD to choose I'd go with the cigar for such a limited period. My last cruise on the Mariner, there was a grandma in the cabin next to ours who sat on the balcony at all hours, playing w/ her grandkids, and smoking up a storm (poor grandkids, sitting on her lap while she smoked) to the point that even though we kept our balcony door closed we could smell smoke in our cabin. I went outside (this was as soon as we got to our cabin on embarkation day) to see why it smelled so smokey and actually caught that granny depositing her ashes on our balcony floor. I mean I walked out and this arm w/ a cigarette came around and "PLOP" deposited ash! I was appalled and gave her a very unlady-like piece of my mind. She apologized. Continued to smoke non-stop, but we didn't have any more ash on our balcony. I also asked our steward to please clean up the ash and explained how it got there and he also talked to her (or so he said).

Fair enough. However, if you are on a line that allows cigarette smoking on the balcony (as RCI does), I am curious as to what you would prefer. I am of the impression that according to MOST people, a reading of RCI's rules indicates cigar smoking is not allowed on balconies. However, as much as people like to complain about it here, I am assuming most people don't actually complain about it on board (either to the offender of the cruise line).

So, if you HAD to encounter either of these scenarios, which would you pick?

I am of a mind to believe that the majority of cigar smokers are not blatant rule breakers smoking on their balconies, which RCI prohibits. A few posters in the other thread were the rogues, I think. This makes it more likely that a non smoker has to deal with the allowed cigarettes, rather than cigars at all. Could explain why the reporting of it is not common.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Either one as I don't think balcony smoking is as much an issue as people here make it. Yes I have been on the balcony when people next door are smoking, but as soon as you catch a whiff, it is gone just as quick. So either one wouldn't matter to me. Smoke away.

I don't smoke and I feel the same as you! On a moving ship with the wind it's not just hanging there on my balcony!

fb-like-button.jpg

Lol...but....WRONG! We had an aft! No diesel smell but unable to use the balcony 95% of time because neighbors lived on the balcony smoking!

Would definitely rather have the neighbor smoking 1 cigar per day! Especially if they were kind enough to give us a "heads up" on what that time of day would be!

Man.. Thought the wind would help that..

Next time that happens get a biiig bucket of water and when hes smoking dump water on him say you thought there was a fire

The balcony thread which has now derailed into a smoking thread got me thinking. Imagine if you will that you are encountered with the following two possibilities, AND that the smoke was coming onto your balcony. Which would you rather.....

... Have a neighbor who smokes cigarettes regularly on the balcony, such the the majority of the time you went out on your balcony, he or she was smoking?

OR

Have a neighbor who late in the evening, say around 9:30 or 10:00, spent 40-50 minutes smoking a cigar?

Let me guess you booked a balcony that allows smoking then

you cry about it. :mad: Have a great cruise and allow your neighbor to enjoy his cruise.We have been on ten royal Caribbean cruises,have never had a problem with some one smoking.He paid for his cruise also.

Seems an odd question, but in either case, I would not be able to enjoy the balcony while the smoking was going on, but in one case it's just a 45 min window and the other case it's virtually all the time. Not too hard to choose between the two.

Man.. Thought the wind would help that..

Next time that happens get a biiig bucket of water and when hes smoking dump water on him say you thought there was a fire

While I'm sure you find your suggestion funny, some do not see the humor of your advice. If this were to happen to anyone I know I would strongly suggest they file assault/battery charges against the person who dumps a bucket of water on them while smoking. So the next time you offer this swell remedy for curing your issues regarding smokers also strongly suggest they pack the phone# of their attorney.

Let me guess you booked a balcony that allows smoking then

you cry about it. :mad: Have a great cruise and allow your neighbor to enjoy his cruise.We have been on ten royal Caribbean cruises,have never had a problem with some one smoking.He paid for his cruise also.

You're not very good at guessing, because I'm pretty sure you're not even close the the OP's intention. :)

While I'm sure you find your suggestion funny, some do not see the humor of your advice. If this were to happen to anyone I know I would strongly suggest they file assault/battery charges against the person who dumps a bucket of water on them while smoking. So the next time you offer this swell remedy for curing your issues regarding smokers also strongly suggest they pack the phone# of their attorney.

Assault and battery.. From water Hahahahaha good luck

Archived