Sharpies or Fabric Markers or does it matter?

Supercrossfox21

Does it really matter if you use regular old sharpie markers or sharpie fabric markers or regular fabric markers when getting a pillowcase signed?

I've heard only use fabric markers or regular sharpies are fine. Which is it? I purchased a pillowcase with embroidery on it, so I don't want it to run or fade to much.

Bought a a huge pack of multi color regular point sharpies in all the colors and hoping to be able to use them, The fabric markers are a little expensive- especially if you happen not to get them back. Oh also I am having a photo mat signed so figured sharpies could be used for that as well.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Does it really matter if you use regular old sharpie markers or sharpie fabric markers or regular fabric markers when getting a pillowcase signed?

I've heard only use fabric markers or regular sharpies are fine. Which is it? I purchased a pillowcase with embroidery on it, so I don't want it to run or fade to much.

Bought a a huge pack of multi color regular point sharpies in all the colors and hoping to be able to use them, The fabric markers are a little expensive- especially if you happen not to get them back. Oh also I am having a photo mat signed so figured sharpies could be used for that as well.

Any feedback would be helpful.

If you are planning on actually using the pillowcase, therefore needing to wash it, might try each kind of marker on a similar fabric and wash it to see your results (i.e. bleeding, fading). Also not sure if a sharpie might bleed through the other side of the pillowcase. If you're planning on framing it, then that probably won't matter. Also would see how smoothly fabric markers move across the fabric. Been years since I've used fabric markers, but remember this was one difference between fabric markers and sharpies.

Have fun on your cruise!

I'm a sewing freak, so answering from that viewpoint.

If you do not submit any sort of marker, your item(s) will be signed in black Sharpie marker. Sharpies come in several varieties. Even the "permanent" variety will fade over time. Fabric markers also come in several varieties and manufacturers. BE SURE that any fabric marker you use is appropriate for the fabric content of your item (don't use a "cotton" or "natural fabrics" marker on a polyester item). In most cases, you'll get better results if you wash the item first. This removes any starches or fillers which would absorb the dye from the markers and would wash out with the first trip thru the laundry. READ the directions. Some fabric markers are permanent as soon as applied. Others require heat setting (ironing) before they are permanent.

SO...if not to be laundered frequently, Sharpie permanent markers will be fine. If you plan on lots of use and laundering, fabric markers generally give better results. You should be able to buy just a couple colors rather than a whole package...and use a 40% off coupon at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby.

Just to be complete--each cabin can leave up to 2 items at Guest Services for signatures. You will complete a form and indicate which characters you want (all available, main 5/6, Princesses, NO princesses, etc.) The item will be returned to your cabin by the last night. The limit is 2 per cabin--not per child or per person . This is a free service. Abuse will result in it being cancelled. Typical items include pillow cases, photo mats, t-shirts, etc.

Hi- I had two embroidered pillowcases for my nieces (really cute- they had the names, the date of the cruise, and an embroidered ship) that needed autographs. I was concerned about the sharpies, so I bought some pretty fabric markers at Joann's. I picked out two colors that matched the embroidery, and the autographs look great! I did receive both markers back.

fyi- I read on one of the boards that people often give candy along with the pillowcases to be shared by those signing. It seemed like a good idea, so when I turned in the pillowcases at guest services, I also gave them a couple of bags of candy- which they seemed to appreciate.

Can anyone tell me the specific brand and kind of marker you used? (would like color) I have tried sharpie and it kind of bleed/spread and I have tried Tulip Fabric Markers- with basically the same results. I've been testing them on a pillowcase and just printing and its bleeding, I cant imagine what would happen if it was an actual signature. The only thing I can think of is the CM signing, has it down to a science and a super light hand. I don't want our pillowcase ruined because I didn't pick the correct markers- and its getting costly to keeping buying markers.

Any help would be appreciated!!

We wound up using Sharpies, I had bought fabric markers but since I had a huge bag of Sharpies for my picture matt GS would not take the fabric markers. I had 2 pillowcases and a picture matt signed. We were on the Wonder and at least on that ship it is one item per person.

It did bleed a little, but my kids are 10 and 17 so we are using them as decorative.

We wound up using Sharpies, I had bought fabric markers but since I had a huge bag of Sharpies for my picture matt GS would not take the fabric markers. I had 2 pillowcases and a picture matt signed. We were on the Wonder and at least on that ship it is one item per person.

It did bleed a little, but my kids are 10 and 17 so we are using them as decorative.

Where they just plain old sharpies, not fabric sharpies?

Also if I am also doing a photo mat and giving them sharpies for that - does that mean I have to use the same sharpies for my pillowcase or can I give seperate colors for the pillowcase? We are on yhe fantasy if it make any difference and they say 2 items per stateroom.

Archived