Mendenhall Glacier Wheelchair Accessible Trails

VicMackey

Hi Folks,

I just finished a search of this forum and one of google as well and had some questions as to which Wheelchair Accessible path at Mendenhall Glacier would work best for someone in a manual wheelchair. We have about an hour or so to spend at the Glacier and would like to get to wherever we can to see some great views within that 1 hour time window. I have read on google that sometimes there will be Rangers available to direct people and provide a map. I also read on this forum that there are many accessible trails but didn't see any specific ones mentioned. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

You can contact the Davis Long Cabin Visitor Information Center (888-581-2201) and the Forest Service Information Center (907-586-8751) regarding wheelchair accessible trails.

Note the last time I was in Juneau ( about 3 years) the buses from town to the Mendenhall Glacier were old school buses painted blue that did not have accessible lifts.

The main trail out to overlook the glacier is paved. Also, there is an elavator up to the viewing area if you choose to go in.

It was very easy to get to a place to see the glacier. If you plan to go to the waterfall or out future that may be harder, as it was a gravel path.

Thanks for the responses. I called the Visitors Center and they suggested either Photo Point Trail or Trail of Time as the most accessible trails. Trail of Time is about twice as far as Photo Point so we'll see how much time we have and go from there. I will report back in a few weeks when I get back.

Hi Folks,

I just finished a search of this forum and one of google as well and had some questions as to which Wheelchair Accessible path at Mendenhall Glacier would work best for someone in a manual wheelchair. We have about an hour or so to spend at the Glacier and would like to get to wherever we can to see some great views within that 1 hour time window. I have read on google that sometimes there will be Rangers available to direct people and provide a map. I also read on this forum that there are many accessible trails but didn't see any specific ones mentioned. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I jsut discovered the trails last year, on my fifth visit to the glacier. Most of them are gravel, and would be difficult for you to maneuver in a manual chair (or for your pusher, if you have one). I did fine with my power chair on the trails on the side of the parking lot opposite the glacier, but you might have issues. Check with the rangers, they might have better advice for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I just wanted to report back that Photo Point is the better trail for a manual wheelchair user in my humble opinion. The suggestion the visitors center gave of Trail of Time wasn't a good one. It is newly paved but with many inclines and wasn't feasible. It is also longer than Photo Point (0.7 miles vs 0.3 miles). I hope that information is useful to someone.

We were just there last week. We did the shore excursion through Disney Cruise and they provided a bus with a lift. We pushed our daughter in her manual chair down the path to Nugget Falls. It is 3/4 of a mile one way. The path is hard packed gravel but some loose stuff and very hilly. It would be pretty hard to get down the path, look around and get back in an hour in my opinion. But the view is well worth the effort.

Archived