Is it allowed to take out drinks from the Diamond Lounge?

So the OP asks, "Is it allowed?"

Are you asking, "Does it happen?" Apparently, yes.

"Does the ship's policy say it should not be done?" Apparently, yes.

"Should I do it?" Up to you!

My DH often says, "It is better to ask forgiveness than permission."

If you want to do it, try it and see what happens. If someone stops you, you have your answer. If no one stops you, you have your answer.

Perhaps none of us should ever ask, "Is it O.K. to..." on these boards.

Perhaps we should do what we like until someone stops us. It's not like there are penalties for breaking these sorts of "rules"...

Seriously, why do we care what the "rules" are, anyway? They are corporate policies, with no enforceability, in most cases. I doubt that the master will throw your @$$ off the ship if you carry a drink out of the lounge. It's not like it's a safety hazard, or anything...

Mostly a policy to induce you to buy a drink later on rather than carry a free one around the ship.

JMHO

very well said .

Why people get so wound up over this stuff. ? If the servers , maitre D , bartenders, other staff are either allowing or encouraging something, who made you the cop? Just do what is right for you and mind your business .

very well said .

Why people get so wound up over this stuff. ? If the servers , maitre D , bartenders, other staff are either allowing or encouraging something, who made you the cop? Just do what is right for you and mind your business .

I see NO ONE on this thread getting wound up or "acting like a cop."

They answered the question, and almost everyone said that they do it.

Your post in no way reflects what is going on in this thread. You puzzle me.

So the OP asks, "Is it allowed?"

Are you asking, "Does it happen?" Apparently, yes.

"Does the ship's policy say it should not be done?" Apparently, yes.

"Should I do it?" Up to you!

My DH often says, "It is better to ask forgiveness than permission."

If you want to do it, try it and see what happens. If someone stops you, you have your answer. If no one stops you, you have your answer.

Perhaps none of us should ever ask, "Is it O.K. to..." on these boards.

Perhaps we should do what we like until someone stops us. It's not like there are penalties for breaking these sorts of "rules"...

Seriously, why do we care what the "rules" are, anyway? They are corporate policies, with no enforceability, in most cases. I doubt that the master will throw your @$$ off the ship if you carry a drink out of the lounge. It's not like it's a safety hazard, or anything...

Mostly a policy to induce you to buy a drink later on rather than carry a free one around the ship.

JMHO

I have to tell you I hear this phrase (see in red above) at work all the time and it just erks me so much.........translated in my mine says......"I am going to do something that I know is wrong or not right, but what the heck....if found out I will fain how sorry I am and will get away with it". Reminds me of children growing up who test their parents to see what they can get away with.

I see NO ONE on this thread getting wound up or "acting like a cop."

They answered the question, and almost everyone said that they do it.

Your post in no way reflects what is going on in this thread. You puzzle me.

Look up..........I think I am getting wound up!:eek::p

I`ll be Diamond member on my next cruise, on my last cruise (Mariner Barcelona-Dubai) I saw people bringing their glasses of wine from the Diamond lounge to the restaurant. Is that allowed on all RCL ships?

I find it varies from ship to ship, sail date to sail date. Oasis Diamond lounge just about tackled me getting that wine glass out of mine hands leaving.........so that concierge on that ship it was a no no. Others no big deal what so ever. Have to watch, ask and always go with their rules on that cruise.

I have to tell you I hear this phrase (see in red above) at work all the time and it just erks me so much.........translated in my mine says......"I am going to do something that I know is wrong or not right, but what the heck....if found out I will fain how sorry I am and will get away with it". Reminds me of children growing up who test their parents to see what they can get away with.

*LOL* Thank you . I was just agreeing with what you said . Merion Mom obviously didn't see that , or else she did and just felt like commenting anyway . Either way .....It puzzles me :)

*LOL* Thank you . I was just agreeing with what you said . Merion Mom obviously didn't see that , or else she did and just felt like commenting anyway . Either way .....It puzzles me :)

Hmmmm my comments were made way after yours or MM so neither one of you could agree or not see it. No way MM could have seen it.:eek::confused:

Uh-oh, I guess I should have asked permission to post this. Sorry... ;)

P.S. Perhaps you work where my husband does...he heard it at work, too.

Uh-oh, I guess I should have asked permission to post this. Sorry... ;)

P.S. Perhaps you work where my husband does...he heard it at work, too.

Don't apologize Its a sign of weakness ......That's the saying that goes around where I work :)

Actually, I look at it like this: so do I care about their rules? I'm a paying customer, if they don't want me, then others do. A whole lot of people get all wound up about laws, when they are actually rules. Yes, I signed a contract. If you know anything about law, you know that a contract written to benefit only one party is unenforcible. So, the bottom line is, do they want my money or not. It really has nothing to do with morality as so many want to make it out to be.

I have seen the same concierge stop people on one cruise and the same concierge not care on the next. I often wonder if it has to do with who their boss is.

I think it has everything to do with WHERE their boss is! First night is when the suits show up, so rules are followed.

Usually, if a regular bar is used for the overflow Diamond Lounge they are pretty loose about taking drinks out with you. I find this especially true of transatlantic cruises where there are hundreds of D and D+ in the overflow lounge.

Oh, boy, we're into morality issues already. I agree with C Sticky: it's not about morality. Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a hotel; the local management run it according to corporate policy with the Food and Bev Manager overriding that on a case by case basis. THAT'S why we see differences on different ships, not because the staff are lazy or we are dishonest.

I mean how many of us have walked into a hotel and asked for a late checkout time, and the desk says no problem, and no charge. Most hotels charge for late checkout. It's called good customer service, good will, good public relations. It's NOT a policing, rule breaking, morality thing at all.

Oh, boy, we're into morality issues already. I agree with C Sticky: it's not about morality. Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a hotel; the local management run it according to corporate policy with the Food and Bev Manager overriding that on a case by case basis. THAT'S why we see differences on different ships, not because the staff are lazy or we are dishonest.

I mean how many of us have walked into a hotel and asked for a late checkout time, and the desk says no problem, and no charge. Most hotels charge for late checkout. It's called good customer service, good will, good public relations. It's NOT a policing, rule breaking, morality thing at all.

Absolutely ,

a lot of businesses of all types use a little wiggle room in many of their policies, rules, bylaws or whatever. As you said in the name of good customer service.

There are many cases, you bend a rule a little and you make a long time customer , or you gain a little good PR.

Morality is the flavor of the month sometimes, but good business is good business.

My gut feel is that the reason for the rule is mostly that RCCL doesn't want people taking drinks from the lounge out to others or "stocking up" in their rooms, thus minimizing the drinks the line will sell. And you know there are some folks who will do this:rolleyes:. (There really shouldn't be other reasons as you can buy a drink in a lounge or MDR and carry it with you -- heck, you can take the whole bottle of wine).

On some ships and/or at certain times, the rules get bent. If you have a partial glass, you're not likely to share it.:) And, if you've respected the rule for a number of days, the concierge may conclude that you really are taking it for yourself. It may be a capacity thing -- if there are relatively few people, not such a big deal. And, as others have said, some concierges/hosts are just more flexible.

We always plan to drink in the lounge and leave behind anything we don't drink. IF the concierge/host offers to let us take a drink with us -- and it's convenient to do so -- we sometimes do. We personally have never made the request but I think folks could certainly do so and see what answer they get.

As for ignoring the signs or letters in your cabin and just doing it . . . as with every other ship's "rule," it's a personal call. Some think it's fine; others don't -- and minds are unlikely to be changed regardless of the number or emotions of the posts.

Did you actually see them leave the Diamond Lounge with glass of wine? Or are you assuming that is where they came from? I see lots of folks carry wine from their cabins into the dining room.

That having been said, we always ask if it's okay and have been told everything from "I'm not looking, I'm busy over here." to "Let me fill your glass before you leave." to "Sure, no one knows where you got it from." We have yet to be told no on any Royal ship.

So here you break the rule, yet on another thread you tore apart Peggy and Cindy?:mad:

We were on a B2B on the Navigator this past December and the first week we were not allowed to bring any drinks out of the Diamond Lounge.

The second week the officer standing at the door did allow us to carry one glass of wine out of the diamond lounge to the main dining room.

So I guess each ship's officers makes their own judgment calls on whether they should or should not allow drinks to be carried out of the diamond lounge.

I thought Navigator did not have a DL??:confused:

I`ll be Diamond member on my next cruise, on my last cruise (Mariner Barcelona-Dubai) I saw people bringing their glasses of wine from the Diamond lounge to the restaurant. Is that allowed on all RCL ships?

We've been in the Diamond lounge several times during the last week, we've seen people taking drinks out every night, right under the nose of the Diamond Concierge and she's not been bothered. A few cruises back and the same concierge didn't allow it.

She might have mellowed or decided to just "let it be".

Either way, you enjoy your cruise and one for the road too. :cool:

Our last 2 cruises have been with our little boy when he was 6 months and 14 months. As he would be going to bed early evening we couldn't really use the CL for the evening drinks unless we played tag team. After a couple of nights and mentioning why we did this very quietly they arranged for 2 of the large coffee cups to be filled with wine each evening so I could take them back to our room and we could have a glass on the balcony once he was asleep.

We were happy, the guys in the CL had a nice tip and no one else was any the wiser.

We are going in September and if the same arrangement can be made great, if not, I'll put it down to being lucky on the last couple of cruises.

Mark

Hey it's my cruise, I paid for it, I can do as I like. I am the entitled generation.

There are rules in the DL & CL why don't we follow them.:)

Go ahead and flame me, it's just that if you stop and think about it you know the answer to your own question.

So here you break the rule, yet on another thread you tore apart Peggy and Cindy?:mad:

Add me to the hallelujah list!!! :D

I thought i was the only one who caught these things!!;)

[guess I'll go back to my usual water threads where I can catch many over there!!:D]

Archived