What is with the complaints about obesity on board?

turning46

We've been on a number of cruise lines and Celebrity does seem to attract a thinner group. Just an observation.

I don't think it is anyone's right to judge another's weight. However, cruise lines do promote eating way too much, not to mention excess salt in food.

Re Speedos, I don't think one should judge those who choose this swim wear, what is the difference between commenting on weight vs Speedos?

I remember a thread where some folks were going on and on concerning how much BACON people took at the buffet at breakfast. I have better things to think about at breakfast besides checking out other people's bacon consumption. For example, MY bacon consumption!

We have been cruising for years, elite on Celebrity, among other lines. I generally read reviews when I selecting a ship... have never read anything like what you are saying.

I personally have struggled most of my life with weight... @5'2", 190 lbs, I am obese and fortunately carry this weight well. I have never been mistreated or observed anyone else being mistreated due to weight while cruising.

I would not over react to whatever reviews you have read, they do not fit with my experience on Celebrity, Princess, Hal, Cunard and NCL lines which I regularly cruise on these days.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone,

I've sailed on many Celebrity cruises over the years, and I've never experienced chatter about what's being mentioned here. With all due respect, I'm on the Cruise to enjoy our well-earned vacation, to be with loved ones, and relax. Frankly, I could care less about what others eat, or look like.

My take on this topic: Why sweat the unimportant stuff ? It's your vacation, so make the most of it, and enjoy every minute of your time onboard Celebrity's beautiful ships !

Hi Everyone,

I've sailed on many Celebrity cruises over the years, and I've never experienced chatter about what's being mentioned here. With all due respect, I'm on the Cruise to enjoy our well-earned vacation, to be with loved ones, and relax. Frankly, I could care less about what others eat, or look like.

My take on this topic: Why sweat the unimportant stuff ? It's your vacation, so make the most of it, and enjoy every minute of your time onboard Celebrity's beautiful ships !

Great post Andy, you're the best.

I read the review that OP mentioned. It was troubling to me as well. However, having been on a few cruises, I was able to put the rude comment in perspective. To me there are just some personality types that are not pleasant, very judgemental people such as that reviewer is one type that I like to avoid. And it's very easy to avoid people like that on a cruise and enjoy meeting wonderful people.

The mix of people on a large cruise ship is very like any large group with lots of diversity. Go, Enjoy!

These days we are frequently exposed to communications about the health risks associated with obesity. The government is in a mode of educating citizens of the risks of non healthy eating. The food industry is following up with increased information on nutrition data on their products.

With all the increased awareness it is inevitable that more and more people will make judgements on how people look. Most will keep it to themselves, but occasionally a few will rudely vocalize their observations or feelings.

Years ago it was rare that anyone would express feelings about smokers and the health risks of smoking. Fast forward to today and we have a cruise line that works hard to discourage smoking on board. It's coming atcha!

I've read so much negativity about smoking...being an ex-smoker, still struggling, I feel the same way as the OP when I read threads about smokers. Their habit does not make them sinful or less desirable....they're still good people. Eating, smoking, drinking...whatever...everyone pays their own way. Why have we somehow become such a judgemental society? Live and let live...we all have the same goal...to travel and enjoy our lives. If someone is such a small person to verbalize "their observation"...shame on them. They truly are the one's with the problem...I don't tolerate snobbery. I've been a victim of this in the past. To the OP...go on your cruise and enjoy it...be happy...and don't allow anyone to minimize your happiness and enjoyment.

Although this is not in the "reviews" section, there is an ongoing debate in the "Ask a Cruise Question" threads about folks ordering more than one meal in the MDR. Unfortunately after the question was answered, some members of the "food police" turned it into a rather nasty discussion and it contains some really judgmental comments about people overeating and buffets in general.

Having attended the school for the "computer declined", I shall try to post a link to the discussion. If it does not work, you can find the thread under "Ask a Cruise Question".

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1865106

On every ship you will get a small minded minority on a Cruise ship who take pleasure in talking down to people, in some vain hope to achieve the semblance of a self gratification experience.

Forget them - Take a Cruise - Sign up to the CC Meet Mingle - You will meet many nice people, who knows, they may end up being friends for life.

Go for it - Life is too short!

Sage advice. Best idea is to sign up for your roll call and get to "know" some people before you sail. WIll make you more comfortable and you'll likely get some wonderful ideas from those you are sailing with. Go to top right of this page, click roll calls and find your ship and sailing date.

I am very heartened by the responses here, so thank you all for that.

For the couple of posters who seemed to doubt that these reviews exist, please accept that they do - I do not wish to comb back through to re-read and post them here, but I saw them. Not all of them were on this site. I certainly wouldn't have made it up out of whole cloth, but I do allow for the possibility that I exaggerated their prevalence. My apologies for this, but I did see them, they were truly nasty and snobby, and I was worred for a bit.

The sweetness in this thread, though, is the perfect antidote for the nastiness I saw in those reviews. Thanks, again.

You have no need to even consider finding old threads for a few people who want proof of how you feel. I, too, have seen a few references to weight, as you have and frankly wonder about those writers' obsession. Not the predominant feeling, but they are there, occasionally, nonetheless on these forums. Relax, enjoy and walk away from maybe one or two, out of thousands, of travelers who might be obsessed. Just remember, perfect doesn't exist, regardless of a few who might think they are.

I could give a fig about how slight or heavy a person is as long as that person is genuine and not self-centered. You'll find far more people who you just love to be with rather than the few that, frankly, most people don't want to be around. Enjoy every moment & wish I could meet you and your terrific husband.

Hey turning46 -

Don't worry about your husband, he will be just fine! I read a review that mentioned the size of the cruisers, but chalked it up to them just being a goofball. Bet they were chair-hogging, formal-wearing, non-smoking elitist. JUST KIDDING. FOLKS!

Here is a tip to your spouse. The bathrooms are pretty darn small in your cabin. I always hunt out the nearest public bathroom that I can spread out and relax in. I know I am not the only one who does this. I am much more comfortable in a big stall than the little bathroom. And my wife of many years seems to like the idea, too! :D

Have a great cruise. You are going to love it!!

Hi Everyone,

I agree with Host Andy post 100 %.

This is my 2 cent on the topics. You are only obese when you leave your physican office after a 10 day's cruise.

Most? try all.. I have not once seen ANYTHING like you describe, so please, give us specifics and links.

I am on this cc forum every day as it is our first Celebrity cruise, where have there been reports like this ! find one please and give me the link

Hi Everyone,

But the big question is......

Do you wear a Speedo and do laps in the spa pool? :p

fat-man-alongside-pool.jpg

My hubby and I are both overweight and we just came back from Alaska. We had a great time meeting many people from all over and I never felt uncomfortable for a min.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222157

Since you can't believe several folks reporting the same thing.....

Thanks for the link!!! Hope this person goes back to Carnival!! I also hope there is a way to censure this review, at least the parts where the obese passengers are offended.

I have heard remarks like that on a Celebrity cruise many times. Usually those persons are standing in front of a large crowd when saying them and doesn't care who heard them. Those comments usually come from the comics. So I guess if you are offended by that avoid the front rows or don't go to the shows as everyone is fair game.

.:D

I have heard remarks like that on a Celebrity cruise many times. Usually those persons are standing in front of a large crowd when saying them and doesn't care who heard them. Those comments usually come from the comics. So I guess if you are offended by that avoid the front rows or don't go to the shows as everyone is fair game.

.:D

We went to a comedy show and there were only 2 seats left. In the front row. We knew we were 'fair game' seated there. It was so true!

Also, if you give a dinner sized serving plate to the ice cream attendant and ask for 5 scoops of different flavors while there is a long line, you will get a special look!

Archived