Is anyone travelling from Cincinnati on June 27?

tulu

Hi, we just booked this cruise and looking forward to meet new travelmates. Arriving to Cincinnati on July 26 at about 12:30 pm from LGA. Will be renting a car. If anyone is interested to do sightseeing together, please reply.

Tulu - I'll be on 2 weeks before you out of Cincinnati. We were supposed to go out of St Paul but they had to change due to high waters. So, I can give you a "scouting" report when I return. If you or anyone else has anything else they want me to check out, I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Tulu - I'll be on 2 weeks before you out of Cincinnati. We were supposed to go out of St Paul but they had to change due to high waters. So, I can give you a "scouting" report when I return. If you or anyone else has anything else they want me to check out, I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Hello Howell, thanks a lot for the reply. I hope you enjoy your trip! Take a note of anything you particularly like please and let us know... any information is welcome! BTW, I am a bit scared about your story with the change in the route... We just booked the airline tickets... If the cruise company will decide to change our in/out ports, we will be screwed with unrefundable ticket costs... In your case, have there been any assistance from them? I booked the trip online, so i do not rely on any help from a travel agent should any issue arise...

Since I am flying Southwest, I didn't really have much of an issue changing our flights. So I really didn't push the issue with them. As for your trip, I doubt there will be an issue in 3 weeks that would close down that stretch of river.

I try to post something as soon as I get back.

Well, I hope that everything will be fine and no last minute changes... I do have one question, please... Do you happen to know the approximate location of the pier/terminal in Pittsburgh?... I am trying to figure out if there is a car rental near by... I would like to get the car rented and drive around for few hours to see the city before our flight back. It was easy for me to arrange for the car in Cincinnati, since i knew the location of hotel they put us prior to the flight, but so far did no find that info on the web. I suppose, i can call the cruise company after holidays to find out...

Well, I hope that everything will be fine and no last minute changes... I do have one question, please... Do you happen to know the approximate location of the pier/terminal in Pittsburgh

It has the address on their website but it took a bit of hunting to find

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/travel-guide/ scroll down

They do offer a tour & drop at the airport if you do not want to rent a car

Lyn

Well, I hope that everything will be fine and no last minute changes... I do have one question, please... Do you happen to know the approximate location of the pier/terminal in Pittsburgh?... I am trying to figure out if there is a car rental near by... I would like to get the car rented and drive around for few hours to see the city before our flight back. It was easy for me to arrange for the car in Cincinnati, since i knew the location of hotel they put us prior to the flight, but so far did no find that info on the web. I suppose, i can call the cruise company after holidays to find out...

I am going to be onboard for the first Pittsburgh trip of the season. I've lost count of how many times that I've ridden any of the DAM QUEENS, that's Delta, American, and Mississippi, but it is over 100 times.

The boat under normal circumstances lands at the city park on the Allegheny River near PNC Ballpark. Everything is NCP, Navigational Conditions Permitting! The closest car rental is the Avis on Stanwix Ave. across the river in downtown Pittsburgh. The airport is about a half hour southwest from the Golden Triangle.

While in Cincinnati I strongly urge any visitor to explore the offerings at The Museum Center at Union Terminal. It would be very easy to spend an entire day there exploring.

It has the address on their website but it took a bit of hunting to find

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/travel-guide/ scroll down

They do offer a tour & drop at the airport if you do not want to rent a car

Lyn

Oh, thank you Lyn... funny that i was on the same page but did not occur to me to scroll down to see the addresses.

I saw the tour with airport drop and am thinking about it as a backup plan, but honestly for $79 pp for just few hours - I can do much better with my own rental - if I can find a location nearby. Will probably cost me below $40. My rental in Cincinnati is $32 for a whole day.

I I've lost count of how many times that I've ridden any of the DAM QUEENS, that's Delta, American, and Mississippi, but it is over 100 times.

Wow, you must like it a lot then! It is going to be a first river cruise in my life. A bit more expensive than all the ocean cruising we did before, but want to do something different.

Thanks for the info on a port and museum in Cincinnati.. will definitely look into that. If you have any more advices on what to see in both Cincinnati and Pittsburgh - please let me know. I am going to get some tourbooks, but real person's advice is definitely preferrable :)

Oh, thank you Lyn... funny that i was on the same page but did not occur to me to scroll down to see the addresses.

I saw the tour with airport drop and am thinking about it as a backup plan, but honestly for $79 pp for just few hours - I can do much better with my own rental - if I can find a location nearby. Will probably cost me below $40. My rental in Cincinnati is $32 for a whole day.

Yes if you have the time a rental makes more sense

We start the cruise in Pittsburgh on Aug 10th so we will just stroll around the area or take a taxi

Enjoy the cruise we are looking forward to trying the AQ

Lyn

Some days the only thing we want to study is a meadowlark, or fireflies, or the tresses of a girl in the crowd, or quaint houses on the shore, or distant traffic, or the flux of the river passing alongside, or other passengers in their habiliments.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on a port and museum in Cincinnati.. will definitely look into that. If you have any more advices on what to see in both Cincinnati and Pittsburgh - please let me know. I am going to get some tourbooks, but real person's advice is definitely preferrable :)

Well, it depends what you like, but Cincinnati's Zoo is world rated. The Taft Museum in Downtown Cincy is very nice, if you appreciate art, as is the Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park. President William H. Taft's boyhood home in Mt. Auburn is maintained and operated by the National Park Service; it gives a glimpse of the middle class childhood of this large figure in American politics. About 15 miles west of Cincinnati along U.S.Route 50 is the burial site of President William Henry Harrison and his family. Right below where the AMERICAN QUEEN normally lands in the Queen City is the John Roebling Suspension Bridge. It predates Roebling's Brooklyn Bridge. Take the opportunity to walk across the river and into Covington's Historic Licking Riverside District. There are beautiful 19th Century homes that were built by steamboat owners, bankers, and other wealthy citizens. Most of these homes are owner occupied now.

One of the highlights of any Pittsburgh visit is to experience one or both of the inclines (funiculars) that rise from the south bank of the rivers to the top of Mt. Washington. Google the Duquesne and Monongahela Inclines. The Monongahela is the oldest running incline in North America, I believe. It starts from Station Square, on the south bank of the Monongahela River. Station Square is a renovated station and warehouse area, now a boutique shopping and dining area. I believe there is a station square shuttle from downtown Pgh. The Duquesne Incline is a little further west, rising from the south bank of the Ohio River, and would provide a fabulous view of Point State Park and the boat across the river.

We were raised in Pgh. and won't be visiting the things that haven't changed much, like the U of Pgh. Cathedral of Learning, the downtown area, etc. Point State Park is new to us, as is Station Square and all of the North Side around the stadiums.

Our cruise is from Cincinanati to Pgh. starting Aug 4; we'll be driving to Pgh. from Florida arriving on the 2nd to do a little touring. We'll drive to the top of Mt. Washington and ride the incline down to Station Square, then take the shuttle over to the Point Park. On the morning of the 4th we'll park the van at the airport and pick up a rental car for the 5 hour drive to Cincinatti and check into the pre-cruise hotel, then board the boat on the 5th and take 5 days to get back to Pgh! :D

We'll take public transportation to get back to the airport. There is a subway stop a few blocks from the boat (behind the stadium) that will take us the short ride across the Allegheny River to downtown, then transfer to the transit authority bus that goes (with very few stops) to the airport. We travel with carry-ons so luggage is no problem. Public transportation in Pgh. is free of charge to seniors with a Medicare card!

After picking up our van (a Class B RV) at the airport, we're continuing with a New England road trip before heading back to Florida around Labor Day.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Tuesday, while docked in Paducah, KY, my wife and I were up on the Front Porch of the American Queen having lunch. We were eating and watching the good people of town coming down to see the steamboat. All of a sudden, a young boy came charging around the seawall door ahead of his family, came to a stop, looked up and went "Wow !" His reaction pretty much sums up my feelings about my week on the American Queen. It is an exceptional experience that they've put together and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. I am extremely jealous of anyone still looking forward to their trip.

I'll write a review a little later, but the thing that stood out the most was the quality of the entertainment on board. From the special entertainment brought on board to the in house performers, I thoroughly enjoyed them all. I include the riverlorian in as part of the entertainment as his talks were really quite fascinating.

As for everything else, it was really top-notch as well. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Last Tuesday, while docked in Paducah, KY, my wife and I were up on the Front Porch of the American Queen having lunch. We were eating and watching the good people of town coming down to see the steamboat. All of a sudden, a young boy came charging around the seawall door ahead of his family, came to a stop, looked up and went "Wow !" His reaction pretty much sums up my feelings about my week on the American Queen. It is an exceptional experience that they've put together and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. I am extremely jealous of anyone still looking forward to their trip.

I'll write a review a little later, but the thing that stood out the most was the quality of the entertainment on board. From the special entertainment brought on board to the in house performers, I thoroughly enjoyed them all. I include the riverlorian in as part of the entertainment as his talks were really quite fascinating.

As for everything else, it was really top-notch as well. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

WE are looking forward to being WOWED in a couple of weeks.

How was the food & service?

Previous reports seem to be hit or miss....I am hoping for a hit :D

Lyn

Lyn - I remember seeing those reviews. You never know what can irate people, but I thought the service was very good. Our main dinner wait staff took good care of us and also were very engaging. I was at a large table with friendly tablemates so I may not have been paying the closest attention but I thought the dinners were well paced. I never felt rushed or had a long wait.

I thought the food was very good as well. I think some of the knocks I’ve seen about the food complain about it not being 5 star restaurant quality. Well, nouveau French neo-classic Asian ( or put any other pretentious cuisine style you like in here ) food, it is not. It is regional Southern cooking and very good at that. The menu includes fried chicken and a peppered pot roast (which was fabulous, btw). That might put some food snobs off, but everything I had was very good and appropriate for a Ohio / Mississippi river cruise. I think a huge plus was how fresh everything was. Stopping at a port every day made that pretty easy to get anything they needed.

One other thing, I heard from a couple of folks who had done European river cruises that everything on this trip was better except the scenery. I hope you have as much fun as we did.

Archived