French/Dutch Sides

rsquared11

Really quick question about St. Marteen... We are planning to go to Maho Beach, but trying to figure out what else we might want to do during the day. Is there a huge difference between the two sides of the island? So much so that we would want to make sure we saw both?

Really quick question about St. Marteen... We are planning to go to Maho Beach, but trying to figure out what else we might want to do during the day. Is there a huge difference between the two sides of the island? So much so that we would want to make sure we saw both?

The language and attitudes are different. The food is much better in St. Martin especially in Grand Case in my opinion anyway. The Dutch side is generally cheaper. The French side has the nicer beaches with Mullet being the exception to that rule. Philipsburg is more American to me and Marigot more European. That's about all that I can think of at the moment.

If you decide to go to the French side, be sure to leave plenty of time to return. The road can back up with traffic depending how many ships are in port. We've enjoyed some lunches on the harbor on the French side but not enough to bother going anymore. We stay on the Dutch side and enjoy.

I have the same question...all we did on our last trip was swim naked, LOL. No kids. It was fun. Not doing it again, though, with twin 8 year old boys. I would like to see the island more and did not read a great review of the island tour. Maybe I need to look again. Are there any must- see places or should we ferry over to Anguilla to escape crowds and eat lunch, swim?

Archived