Runis

kam2718

We are taking a cruise in November that stops at Belize and a few other ports in the western caribbean. Cozumel, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman.

We would like to see some ruins but we are looking for a tour that doesnt take 7+ hours. Does anybody know a tour that is shorter.

If there arent any in Belize in that time frame, are there any others at the other places that we stop?

We are also going to Belize and November and plan to Book River Wallace and Altun Ha Ruins....the reviews are good on this and it is only 5.5 hours...but this is through a Carnival tour...and you also have chance of seeing other wildlife on the river as well as the Ruins....people say that Altun Ha is not as good as the others...but I don't want to travel several hours in a bus to see them.

Cozumel...has Ruins

Roatan....No ruins...snorkel at Tabyana from the shore....right on the barrier reef.

Grand Caymen... no Ruins that I know of...great beach day/see the sting rays...great stop.

We are also going to Belize and November and plan to Book River Wallace and Altun Ha Ruins....the reviews are good on this and it is only 5.5 hours...but this is through a Carnival tour...and you also have chance of seeing other wildlife on the river as well as the Ruins....people say that Altun Ha is not as good as the others...but I don't want to travel several hours in a bus to see them.

Thank you very much. I noticed this tour as well and made note of it.

There are other tours to Altun Ha with private vendors and some ships incorporate a city tour along with the tour to Altun Ha. But nevertheless, 4.5-5 hours is pretty standard total time. Xunantunich is indeed a long bus ride across Belize to near the Guatemala border. But the ruins are very impressive.

BTW, there are ruins on Cozumel, San Gervasio. These are relatively minor ceremonial ruins and are not a breathtaking as other Maya sites on th eYucatan pennisula or in Belize and Guatemala. They are about 1/2 hour-45 minutes from th ecruise ship docks and can be accessed by taxi/ self-guided, 30-45 minutes viewing time. Interesting if you are doing a drive around the island tour, but probably boring if you're looking only for ruins.

I also wanted to see some ruins and picked Altun Ha as my one Carnival Excursion I will book this cruise (all my others will be with independent tour companies). This is just the ruins themselves, not the river part and I think it's only 4 hours and will therefore leave us some time to do something else...like shop. The tour was only $59 which I thought was very reasonable for a Carnival Excursion.

Princess rates Altun HA E for "Easy".

walking_lg.gif These excursions include walking for short distances over relatively level terrain, possibly with cobblestones or a few steps. Participants should have ambulatory capability in order to move into and out of ground transportation such as motorcoaches or rail cars and into and out of confined spaces, such as small aircraft and small boats.

The tour is 4.5 hours long. 3 hours traveling and 1.5 hours at Altun HA

There are others, but in my opinion - if you are physically able, I would definitely recommend one of the more impressive sights. We've done both Lamanai in Belize and Coba in Cozumel. Both involved a long exhausting day - but the experiences are priceless. These are 2 of very few ruins in the world that still allow you to climb to the top. I think this is something you just can't compare - a photo at the top vs. a photo standing in front of a Myan pyramid.

Archived