Isla Roatan snorkel recommendations?

Tedder

You really don't need a guide. We took a taxi from town to the Mayan Princess Hotel. Getting off there, you can snorkel from the beach. Tabayana Beach is very near and the best snorkeling is just in front of Tabayana. You need a bracelet to use their facilities, but the water is not privately owned. We have done a lot of snorkeling and this is the best we have seen. We are taking our third cruise to Roatan so that we can snorkel again. It has been the highlight of our trips!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
You really don't need a guide. We took a taxi from town to the Mayan Princess Hotel. Getting off there, you can snorkel from the beach. Tabayana Beach is very near and the best snorkeling is just in front of Tabayana. You need a bracelet to use their facilities, but the water is not privately owned. We have done a lot of snorkeling and this is the best we have seen. We are taking our third cruise to Roatan so that we can snorkel again. It has been the highlight of our trips!

That sounds perfect for us. I've emailed the Mayan Princess Hotel and never received a response, so maybe you can answer.

How do we go about reserving beach space? Do we go to the Mayan Princess Hotel and ask for the band at the desk? Do they accept cash or can we use a credit card and how much do they cost? I understand we can't use US $$, so should we go to a bank and convert US $$? We're coming in at the cruise terminal and I'm wondering approximately how much a taxi would cost. One of the websites I visited indicated that we should stick to the "taxi fee schedule" so the cab drivers don't start raising everyone's rates. Did you ask your cab driver to pick you up in time to make the ship or do you have the hotel get a cab? Also, is there a restaurant or someplace we can buy a meal or should we have the cruise line make up a box lunch?

Sorry to pepper you with questions. We are traveling with our son and he is bringing a friend. Since the friend is paying his own way, I'm trying to give his parents a tentative itinerary and costs associated. They're frugal and want us to keep their kid's costs to a minimum on the shore excursions. This type of a day trip is right up their alley and ours too!

Thanks for your expertise, this sounds perfect!

Helen Bryant

Santa Rosa, CA

Archived