Pullmantur Sovereign

cruz.n.carebear

One thing I forgot to ask. Did everyone wait to book excursions onboard or book in advance? Either way, could you please explain the process. As This is our first Pullmantur cruise and first cruise sailing from a port outside of the US, I really need the "Dummies Guide" version of what to do and how to do it....including embarkation in Barcelona. Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response.

I found it was much easier to just handle everything on board. The only excursion we used for them was a bus transfer to Florence from Livorno. Other than that, I booked everything on my own or we did not utilize an excursion. They have one excursion that is guaranteed to be in English every port, but other than that there has to be a minimum.

Prior to sailing, it was hard to get information as to what to expect, know, etc. We boarded in Genoa, so I'm not able to assist with Barcelona. But I've had clients board there and we docked there for the day. I found it was very easy to get to and very accessible from the city. The cruise terminal itself is very user-friendly and easy to navigate.

It came down to cost and port times for us. Our only short day was Tunisia, which was fine with us. NCL was actually our 2nd choice because they also had long port times (MSC was in last place for their short stops) But the cheap (and I mean cheeeeaaaap - like, I'm a TA and my agent rates couldn't touch this and I paid mainstream cost) rates on this cruise sold it for us. Was it luxurious? No. Was it safe? Yes. Did it get us around the Mediterranean for a fraction of the cost? Yes! The food was different, but good. The common areas were clean, and it was just like going on an older RCL or Carnival ship.

Plato123, thanks for your update. Now that it's been some time, we are considering going back for the Eastern side and will definitely look in to the Grand Suites.

When we boarded, there were approx. 25 English speakers on board. When we left Barcelona and most of the passengers changed, that dropped down to 10, with my group having 7 of them. This isn't one of those ships that will allow for you to make a bunch of new friends at the bar, unless you speak Spanish.

As far as the entertainment....it's a mixed bag. The first night in Genoa was a ballet/modern dance show that was called "Sorry" and it was about how the earth was being destroyed by humans. And remember, Europeans are far less modest than Americans are, so there were a few thongs, see-through costumes. So that was interesting. The comedy night was the worst, because it was all in Spanish and we didn't understand it. Plus, the comedian was a clown and he did really weird things. The crowds loved it every night, though. So we decided that Americans are so used to over the top things that we are a little spoiled in that regard...we were on the unimpressed side. But each night, we went back to see if it would get better.

The entertainment staff was fun. They all spoke English, but their activities were all in Spanish. So it was entertaining to watch the poolside activities, but we didn't understand what was being said.

• 1 month later...

Hi anyone taking this trip from Barcelona? We are going to Tunisia, Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice and back to Barcelona. Traveling from the U.S.A uncertain about the ship but looking forward to having a good time.

Let me know if you are taking this trip. Thanks:p

• 2 months later...

Hey, Very surprised to find someone else on this cruise. My wife and 2 grown daughters (21 and 24 yo) are on this trip. We are from Atlanta and my youngest is graduating next month. This is a celebration and great get away before she starts work. We are going to Barcelona a few days early.

Great price for cruise and all inclusive.

Any ideas on excursions?

Hi Yes!! someone else that's from the states. We booked this cruise and she told us it was a Spanish first cruise at the last minute and since we speak very little Spanish I was a little unsure at first. We are from San Diego you would think we would know the language better. We are flying in on the 26th. We are taking a cruise from Palma Mallorca with my husbands company after this one. This cruise was a great price and I wanted to see Italy since we were going to be over there. We will have to meet up for a drink on the ship if you like.

Hi Left you a message but not it the right place, it's on the original page. Beginner!!

I am sure I am a beginner also. Glad you saw my post.

We will absolutely need to have a drink on board the ship they are included right!:)

We are likely to try to diy excursions in most ports and are trying to research each port now.

Sometimes it is less expensive if we are larger group. Let me know what your plans are.

One of my daughters spent 6 months in Spain so she will be a big help with the language. My wife is also ok with spanish and I am no help. I am trying to learn to say one more beer please in spanish.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Just found your reply. We don't have anything booked for Florence thinking about a

day trip to Tuscany, do you have a tour planned for Florence? We made plans for the Vatican city tours, I here that takes most of the day. I am not quite sure I made the best plans lol. Naples we are going to Pompeii and Sorrento day trip. I wish I would have found you before I made my tour plans a larger group would have been nice. We are looking forward to our trip. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

We will be sailing on Sovereign out of Barcelona on May 31. We are English speaking Canadians & have sailed on this ship years ago when it was still with Royal Caribbean. Haven't booked any private tours yet and may end up doing shore excursions through the ship. ?

According to Spanish media reports (and a German passenger on a German message board) the Sovereign had an engine failure. One engine broke down. So leaving Barcelona they had to cruise on an - extreme - reduced speed. The captain decided to skip Tunis and chose a direct way to Naples. They arrived in Civitavecchia with a delay. Then the captain decided that the cruise is finished. All passengers have disembarked.

According to Spanish media the Spanish passengers embarking in Barcelona on May 10th will get a 100% refund plus 60% future cruise plus expenses (not specified). As far as I´ve understood the Spanish news reports (as I do not speak Spanish).

The ship will be repaired in Marseille in the next few days (don´t ask me how it´s getting there).

steamboats

We will be sailing on Sovereign out of Barcelona on May 31. We are English speaking Canadians & have sailed on this ship years ago when it was still with Royal Caribbean. Haven't booked any private tours yet and may end up doing shore excursions through the ship. ?

Hi! We are from California and will be traveling on May 31. Hope to meet up!

Just returned from cruise on Sovereign. There is always one excursion in English. In Rome, we went on the Eternal and Imperial Rome tour. Both the Spanish and English groups for this tour traveled on the same bus to Rome. First stop was the Vatican where the groups were divided up. Our guide was extremely well versed in all matters of history and architecture. Tours are booked onboard, not in advance. This seemed odd to us prior to the cruise, but worked out just fine. A brochure is left in your stateroom describing all the excursions available and listing the deadline to sign up for each. At the meeting with the International Representative, you are told which will be in English.

we are booked on the 31st which so far hasn't been cancelled but the 2 weeks prior have been cancelled. Lets hope that they get the engine fixed/replaced by then. They re offering a full rebate but that doesn't help with airfare/hotel rooms pre & post cruise.

we are booked on the 31st which so far hasn't been cancelled but the 2 weeks prior have been cancelled. Lets hope that they get the engine fixed/replaced by then. They re offering a full rebate but that doesn't help with airfare/hotel rooms pre & post cruise.

Hope everyone had travel insurance.

Hi, we are on the cruise (god willing after hearing about the troubles the Sovereign has been having). We are from the UK and would be glad to meet up with other English speaking couples.

Fingers crossed