Cruise document notebooks & organization

jothrasher

Am I understanding this right, you don't have to bring your actual passport? A scanned copy is acceptable?

NO! I just bring a scanned copy just in case something happens in port and we don't have the original. My understanding is that it helps get a replacement.

If you plan on making a packing list, try doing it day by day. I find that helps keep me organized instead of just 3 pairs of shorts, 6 shirts, etc.

I do that! DH thinks I'm insane (because I do his, and check Mark things off as we pack) but we've never forgotten we needed while travelling!

My cruise notebook is a 1" binder, hard sided not soft. I find this easy to use to bring cabin door decorations, and purchased photos home in because they won't get bent, and my personal item when we fly is always a back pack, so it fits perfectly.

In my notebook I have a zippered pencil pouch which holds pens, a highlighter, thank you cards (we write notes when giving additional cash tips), and our passports. Everything I print off goes into a page protector, this includes all boarding passes, confirmations, maps, excursion information, any directions needed, I even have Mapquested walking directions from our precruise hotel to Walgreens, a restaurant, and back to the hotel. I'm a bit obsessive with planning. But for me, it really is fun. It's how I pass the time until our cruise, by working on our cruise notebook!

I do the same as above...except I use a softside folder. It keeps me organized when I start printing info. I want to take the least amount of paper so I end up copying and pasting a lot of info and then changing the format to no spacing (except where I want it), change the font to Century Gothic, 10 or 12 pt. Supposedly Century Gothic uses the least amount of ink when printing.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep everything on my iPad using tripit app and also have an a4 folder with pockets putting everything in date order. Works for me.

Research goes onto a web page, which I will PDF onto the iPad before I go.

http://www.mednavigator.wordpress.com

Blogging from the Donut City... Basingstoke in the UK a 1960s new town where every coffee cup stain on the planners map became a roundabout.

Email. uk.dave.woods@gmail.com

I use a regular pocket folder

In the left side I keep all land based items in order that I might need them. In the right side I keep cruise based documents in the order I might use them.

So in the front would be our first night reservation at the hotel we sat at on the way to New Orleans. Behind that is the next reservation and any other paper work for the prestay. Behind that is any post cruise paperwork.

The other pocket will have luggage tags, then boarding passes, then steakhouse reservations, then excursions through Carnival or otherwise.

This works pretty well for us. I also break up our money that way too, attach the amount needed to a post it note and store in our cash box. I break it out by place needed and use, so a stay in Cozumel would have a set of money for Nachi Cocom, and a separate one for the cab fare needed to get there.

I used a multi-compartment, plastic, accordion and file with everything pertaining to flights, insurance, the cruise, ports of call, excursions and alike. I am getting better about transferring everything to my iPad and expect in time it will replace the file. Another thing I do is put every days activity(s) complete with details, times, reservation codes, etc on an Excel spreadsheet, print it and put it one the cabin wall over our desk with a couple of small magnets.

Archived