Iceland - questions answered

Karlth, can you please recommend an Icelandic tour company who offer a small group van tour that covers the Golden Circle and the Blue lagoon in one day? We would rather travel in a small group than in a bus of 50.

Karlth, can you please recommend an Icelandic tour company who offer a small group van tour that covers the Golden Circle and the Blue lagoon in one day? We would rather travel in a small group than in a bus of 50.

I wouldn't want to recommend one company ahead of others (simply because I'm not familiar with most of the tour companies). Having said that I know that adventures.is is considered good.

We will also be on the Celebrity Eclipse sailing into Reykjavik at 13:00 on July 8th and leaving at 14:00 on July 9th next year.

The cruiseline tours (for comparison) are offering the Golden Circle after arrival on the 8th, and the Blue Lagoon that afternoon or the following morning. We would prefer to avoid a large coach tour if possible. They are also offering 'Reykjavik City Sites' and Panoramic Reykjavik' but I think the first two are the 'must-do' trips. Would it be feasible or less advisable to do the Blue Lagoon in the afternoon and the Golden Circle the following morning (thus avoiding the cruise coaches at the Blue Lagoon)?

We will also be in Akureyi the following day, 10th July, from 09:00 to 19:00, so we will have a full day - do you have any suggestions as to what we could do there? The cruise line is offering a combine Akureyri and Godafoss trip.

In regards to the Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon it might be a good idea as you say to try to avoid the crowds at the Blue Lagoon. There will nevertheless be a lot of people at the Lagoon but it is a big place so you'll cope! I would recommend doing Reykjavik by yourself.

You'll dock directly in the small city center of Akureyri, it is a beautiful setting so remember to bring binoculars. Akureyri is a charming little town and I'd recommend sparing an hour walking through it. The best coffeehouse is probably the "Blaa kannan". Directly infront of it is a bookstore café called "Eymundsen" which has free wifi. On the main street you'll notice a ski chair which is placed there as an advertisement for the skiing facilities - Akureyri is Iceland's main ski town during the winter with all the skiing taking place in the mountain above the town itself.

Now the most popular tour near Akureyri is called the Diamond Circle. The tour has several interesting sights but based on personal experience I'd say the unmissable ones are Dettifoss and Myvatn. Dettifoss is like walking in on a troll having a shower and Myvatn is probably the nearest you'll come to being on another planet. So I'd focus on booking a tour that includes those two sights. Godafoss is beautiful but it is included in all tours automatically because of its location directly beside the highway on the way to all other sights.

Edited by karlth

My wife and I will arrive in Reykjavik in mid September during a Princess cruise port stop. I'm really looking forward to seeing this amazing country although we know we'll only see a tiny fraction if it in the 12 hours or so we'll have there.

To make the most of our time we're considering renting a car and exploring on our own. It appears the best prices I've found for a car are at the airport.

How far is it from the port and is a taxi the best way to get there and back?

Do you have the address of the dock where large ships dock?

My father was stationed at the now closed US Air Force Base southwest of the city over 50 years ago and I'd like to see the area. Is there anything left of the base that can be visited!

Will road conditions likely be an issue in mid September?

Thanks so much

Chris

My wife and I will arrive in Reykjavik in mid September during a Princess cruise port stop. I'm really looking forward to seeing this amazing country although we know we'll only see a tiny fraction if it in the 12 hours or so we'll have there.

To make the most of our time we're considering renting a car and exploring on our own. It appears the best prices I've found for a car are at the airport.

How far is it from the port and is a taxi the best way to get there and back?

Do you have the address of the dock where large ships dock?

My father was stationed at the now closed US Air Force Base southwest of the city over 50 years ago and I'd like to see the area. Is there anything left of the base that can be visited!

Will road conditions likely be an issue in mid September?

Are you talking about the domestic or international airport? The international airport at Keflavik is around 1 hour away so I wouldn't recommend renting a car there. The domestic airport is in the center of Reykjavik.

The large cruise ships dock at "Skarfagardar".

The old airbase is still standing, most of it anyway. You can check out the current operation here.

Road conditions should be good in September.

Are you talking about the domestic or international airport? The international airport at Keflavik is around 1 hour away so I wouldn't recommend renting a car there. The domestic airport is in the center of Reykjavik.

The large cruise ships dock at "Skarfagardar".

The old airbase is still standing, most of it anyway. You can check out the current operation here.

Road conditions should be good in September.

Yes I was referring to the domestic airport there in Reykjavik. Sorry I should have been clear on that.

One of the concerns I have with renting a car there is not so much getting there around noon when we arrive but later returning the car and getting back to the pier around 10-11 pm after the rental place is closed. Will there be a problem getting from car return back to the pier after hours?

Thanks

Could you recommend a good hotel that is centrally located where tours would pick us up? We will be there in May for only 1 day. Thanks for all the advice given above.

I haven't stayed in any hotels in Reykjavik but purely from location and educated guesswork these hotels would be recommended:

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina

101 Hotel Reykjavik

Kvosin Downtown Hotel

Centerhotel Arnarhvoll

If the tour bus doesn't stop directly infront of the hotel then due to their location you shouldn't have to walk more than 1-2 minutes to get to a pickup.

If you book something else just remember to check the postcode. 101 means it is central, something else means it isn't!

Yes I was referring to the domestic airport there in Reykjavik. Sorry I should have been clear on that.

One of the concerns I have with renting a car there is not so much getting there around noon when we arrive but later returning the car and getting back to the pier around 10-11 pm after the rental place is closed. Will there be a problem getting from car return back to the pier after hours?

No problem at all. There are taxis outside the airport that should take you to the cruise dock in 10-15 minutes (the terminal building is very small so you can't get lost) . Just in case here is the number for the largest taxi company: +354 5885522. All taxis are trustworthy and take credit cards as well.

When navigating in Iceland use Google maps beforehand for accurate directions but otherwise the road system in Iceland is simple. If you go to the former navy airbase in Keflavik then do a stop over at the Blue Lagoon - it is just off same road.

No problem at all. There are taxis outside the airport that should take you to the cruise dock in 10-15 minutes (the terminal building is very small so you can't get lost) . Just in case here is the number for the largest taxi company: +354 5885522. All taxis are trustworthy and take credit cards as well.

When navigating in Iceland use Google maps beforehand for accurate directions but otherwise the road system in Iceland is simple. If you go to the former navy airbase in Keflavik then do a stop over at the Blue Lagoon - it is just off same road.

Thank you again for the great advice and information on Iceland.

Here in the US pay phones are almost nonexistent since everyone now has mobiles. Is this also the case there? I ask as I won't have a working cell for travel here and will need alternative means of calling the taxi company unless I invest in a phone for the countries we'll be visiting on the trip. Perhaps I should look into that further?

Lastly do you happen to know how late the airport is open on weekdays? Thinking again of the taxi situation and getting back to port.

Edited by gottagocit

Here in the US pay phones are almost nonexistent since everyone now has mobiles. Is this also the case there? I ask as I won't have a working cell for travel here and will need alternative means of calling the taxi company unless I invest in a phone for the countries we'll be visiting on the trip. Perhaps I should look into that further?

Lastly do you happen to know how late the airport is open on weekdays? Thinking again of the taxi situation and getting back to port.

It is a similar situation here. Very few payphones but everyone carries mobiles.

The last domestic flight operates around 9pm so it isn't guaranteed that the terminal is open after that. I'm pretty sure there are a direct phonelines to all taxi companies (inside the terminal) if a taxi isn't already outside. In any case you can also ask any local to call you a cab, that shouldn't be a problem. What rental company are you using and when do you expect to return the car and when do you have to be back at the cruise ship?

It is a similar situation here. Very few payphones but everyone carries mobiles.

The last domestic flight operates around 9pm so it isn't guaranteed that the terminal is open after that. I'm pretty sure there are a direct phonelines to all taxi companies (inside the terminal) if a taxi isn't already outside. In any case you can also ask any local to call you a cab, that shouldn't be a problem. What rental company are you using and when do you expect to return the car and when do you have to be back at the cruise ship?

That sounds promising.

Our ship will be in port from 12:00 (noon) until 23:00 on a Tuesday.

We were considering Avis or perhaps Budget as they seem to have the best rates from what I've seen and are large companies that we've used many times with no issues with unreasonable charges upon return.

We would likely book a car beginning at around 12:30 or 13:00 and return around 21:00 or 21:30 to make sure we are back in plenty of time.

One complicating factor is the rental companies state on their website that their offices there close at 17:00 and 18:00 hrs respectively so we'll have to drop it off after hours and trust they'll give a fair evaluation of condition without us. I've done this before without incident but its nit preferred.

Ah yes, the joys of travel!! LOL. It'll all work out........as it always does! :-)

Karlth, I was able to locate directions to the thermal pools nearest our hotel on the spacity.com web site you recommended. Where might I find directions from our hotel on Thingholtstraeti to the thermal beach? Is this beach open only at certain hours? We will be in Reykjavik in September.

Karlth, I was able to locate directions to the thermal pools nearest our hotel on the spacity.com web site you recommended. Where might I find directions from our hotel on Thingholtstraeti to the thermal beach? Is this beach open only at certain hours? We will be in Reykjavik in September.

I'm not sure about the opening hours in September but it should be open around noon, from 11-13. For directions simply type "nautholsvik, reykjavik" into Google Maps.

More information about the thermal beach can be found here: http://visitreykjavik.is/nautholsvik-geothermal-beach

Please where would you suggest places to go "strolling around Reykjavik". We are spending 4 days in Reykjavik. We had booked for the Blue lagoon, Golden Circle, South Coast and Glacier Lagoon and Landmannalangar. We should still have half day to see the city.

Thanks.

Angela

Angela, who did you book your tours through?

Thanks, Janice

We plan to rent a car and drive the Golden Circle on our own. Can you tell me what is the condition of roads in the area of the gyser and water falls? Should we stay with road #35, or is #37 past the lakes worthy of exploration. Thanks for your input; in response to this question, and for all you have posted to date.

Tom

We plan to rent a car and drive the Golden Circle on our own. Can you tell me what is the condition of roads in the area of the gyser and water falls? Should we stay with road #35, or is #37 past the lakes worthy of exploration.

Road F35 is the so called "Kjalvegur" and goes from the south of Iceland to the north over the uninhabited middle of Iceland. Read more about it here. Road conditions are very bumpy but manageable. I know though that some car rental companies forbid drivers from driving on F roads (mountain roads).

Generally if you need information on road conditions in Iceland check out this web: http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-conditions-and-weather/

Wow. Is that traffic counts on the roads?

Amazing.

How likely are we to find WIFI on our circumnavigation next month? At the hotels (near Vik, Hofn, Egilsstaoir, Myvatn, Sauoarkrokur, Geysir) or along the roads? I'd love to be able to review this info, for traffic and weather (especially weather) in case we decide to do some off-roading (we will have a 4x4(.

Thanks!

Hi,

thank you as others have said for starting this thread.. I will be visiting Iceland for 1 night two days in early September on the Eurodam. I have found a tour company recommended on Trip Advisor and they have given me an itinerary of essentially the Golden Circle tour on Day one and then the Blue Lagoon on day two.

I have been looking online and it seems to me that the Blue Lagoon is accessible alone and that we would be wasting our money to use the tour guide.

Can you possible give me some answers to the following, as you live there..

1) How far is the Blue Lagoon from the cruise port in Reykjavik.

2) Can you give me any idea at all of approximate taxi cost to the Blue Lagoon from the cruise port?

3) Are taxis readily available at the port to go to the Blue Lagoon, and then again to return us to the ship?

Am I correct in my assumption that it is something that we can do on our own.

Thank you..

We plan to rent a car and drive the Golden Circle on our own. Can you tell me what is the condition of roads in the area of the gyser and water falls? Should we stay with road #35, or is #37 past the lakes worthy of exploration. Thanks for your input; in response to this question, and for all you have posted to date.

Tom

Tom,

Where are you guys thinking of getting the car? I mean which rental company. We're looking at doing the same thing on a port stop in September but trying to work out logistics of getting from the airport rental returns back to the port after hours.

I see you are from Alabama. Born and raised there also but now live in Vol territory. Roll Tide!

Chris