Iceland - questions answered

How likely are we to find WIFI on our circumnavigation next month? At the hotels (near Vik, Hofn, Egilsstaoir, Myvatn, Sauoarkrokur, Geysir) or along the roads? I'd love to be able to review this info, for traffic and weather (especially weather) in case we decide to do some off-roading (we will have a 4x4(.

Most of the hotels offer Wifi but if you want to be connected always it would probably be best to buy a pre-paid 3G simcard when you come to Iceland.

Remember also that all 4x4s are not created equal. Don't go driving over any glacial rivers in a Suzuki!

Tom,

Where are you guys thinking of getting the car? I mean which rental company. We're looking at doing the same thing on a port stop in September but trying to work out logistics of getting from the airport rental returns back to the port after hours.

I see you are from Alabama. Born and raised there also but now live in Vol territory. Roll Tide!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Tom and I are on the same cruise as you but doing the B2B and arriving Iceland August 27. If you would like to you can email us tandjstephens at bellsouth dot net.

Jackie

hi Karlth,

Sorry to ask this again, but wondered if you would have time to give me a quick reply to my Blue Lagoon query...

I need to decide whether to visit the Blue Lagoon with a private guide that I am organising, or whether it is a place one can visit on one's own.

Reading all the web sites, both here and on trip advisor it seems quite possible to visit alone.. and to book on the Blue Lagoon website in advance.

What I need to know, to help me decide if it is worth it, is the approximate cost of a taxi to the Blue Lagoon? And if taxi's are readily available there to take me back to the ship?

Then I can find out how much the organised tour will be without the Blue Lagoon, and judge accordingly.

Many thanks and I hope to hear from you soon as I hope to finalise this today.

Most of the hotels offer Wifi but if you want to be connected always it would probably be best to buy a pre-paid 3G simcard when you come to Iceland.

Remember also that all 4x4s are not created equal. Don't go driving over any glacial rivers in a Suzuki!

We have a phone and will get that simcard either at the airport or on arrival in Reykjavik.

And we chose a full size SUV. Gas mileage will be terrible but safety and accessibility will be excellent. Not planning on doing this trip again (but you never know), so want as few limitations as possible.

We were told to walk across any streams before we drive across. If we can walk across it's safe to drive. I expect my feet to be frozen before I get too far, but the point has been well made to me.

Karlth,

It appears the last flight into Reykjavik airport on September 17 is scheduled to arrive just before 21:00 so I'm feeling pretty comfortable there will be taxis at the airport until at least that time. So we're going with the rental car with plans to walk from the car return area to the terminal at around 20:30-21:00. That will get us back to the port well before the 23:00 departure time.

With that said it appears that bus line 12 is still running until after 23:00 on week nights and will take is near the ship. #5 takes us closer but doesn't appear to run after about 19:00. Am I reading bus info correctly at: http://www.straeto.is/english I'm thinking this could be a backup plan to get back to the ship.

Is the bus a good option for tourists here at this time if day?

Thanks,

Chris

I have been looking online and it seems to me that the Blue Lagoon is accessible alone and that we would be wasting our money to use the tour guide.

Can you possible give me some answers to the following, as you live there..

1) How far is the Blue Lagoon from the cruise port in Reykjavik.

2) Can you give me any idea at all of approximate taxi cost to the Blue Lagoon from the cruise port?

3) Are taxis readily available at the port to go to the Blue Lagoon, and then again to return us to the ship?

Am I correct in my assumption that it is something that we can do on our own.

I am not the OP and I don't live in Iceland, but my husband and I visited the Blue Lagoon on our own, last year. We took the shuttle from the cruise terminal into central Reykjavik and walked a few blocks to the Gray Line office, where we picked up some maps and began a walking tour of the city. Three or so hours later, after seeing all we wanted to see, we returned to the Gray Line office and purchased tickets to the Blue Lagoon (transportation only, 50 minutes each way). The mini-bus departed from a parking lot directly across from the Gray Line office and a half-block away from Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur, the famous hot dog stand where we sampled Iceland’s national food.

Blue Lagoon Costs Per Person

$30 Gray Line bus ticket (round-trip transportation only)

$50 Blue Lagoon swimming pass (40€)

For this same excursion, Royal Caribbean wanted $119, almost $40 more per person. We didn't want to swim, and therefore purchased viewing passes for only 10€ per person, about $13 each, which brought our costs down significantly.

Gray Line offers several departure and pickup times throughout the day, so you may stay at Blue Lagoon for as little as 30 minutes or as long as six hours. When the driver dropped us off, he asked what time we would like to return and then, voila, he picked us up at that time and drove us directly back to the ship. It couldn't have been easier.

karlth:

Thank you again for your help.

When we are in the more empty areas on the Ring Road, will we have any trouble finding sufficient gas/petrol stations? And might you know if a PIN number is required to use a credit card at those stations?

I know we did not need one at our hotel and in restaurants in Reykjavik last year.

Thanks!

nm

We recently bought a ticket to Blue lagoon from the Tourist Information on the wharf at 8.40 am. This covered bus from the wharf outside the tourist information to the bus terminal, where we transferred to the bus going to the blue Lagoon, and return trip.

We caught the first bus from the terminal to the lagoon, which departed at 9.00 am, so had no queues at Blue Lagoon. When we left for the 12.15 pm return bus, there was a long queue outside the building.

The combined ticket cost 9.80 Icelandic.

Instead of catching the shuttle bus back to the city or wharf, we did a short walk up the hill from the bus terminal to the Church on top of the hill, where we took lift up the tower for beautiful views of Reykjavik (Hallgrimskirkja). We then explored the city, on our own, before walking along the waterfront back to the wharf.

We could have spent longer at the Blue Lagoon and enjoying the city, but felt we made the most of our day in Reykjavik.

Karlth,

It appears the last flight into Reykjavik airport on September 17 is scheduled to arrive just before 21:00 so I'm feeling pretty comfortable there will be taxis at the airport until at least that time. So we're going with the rental car with plans to walk from the car return area to the terminal at around 20:30-21:00. That will get us back to the port well before the 23:00 departure time.

With that said it appears that bus line 12 is still running until after 23:00 on week nights and will take is near the ship. #5 takes us closer but doesn't appear to run after about 19:00. Am I reading bus info correctly at: http://www.straeto.is/english I'm thinking this could be a backup plan to get back to the ship.

Is the bus a good option for tourists here at this time if day?

I just took a look at the Budget car rental in Reykjavik and luckily it is located in the BSI coach terminal. BSI is open until midnight and there are always taxis available outside. Just ask the driver to take you to the large cruise port.

kort_.jpg

(BSI Coach Terminal is in the bottom of the picture).

When we are in the more empty areas on the Ring Road, will we have any trouble finding sufficient gas/petrol stations? And might you know if a PIN number is required to use a credit card at those stations?

You should have no problem finding petrol stations on the ring road itself - there are more petrol stations in Iceland per capita than anywhere else.

If you are doing any kind of self service or using the ATMs then you'll need your PIN. Otherwise it is my understanding that you simply say you haven't go a PIN and they'll skip the step.

You should have no problem finding petrol stations on the ring road itself - there are more petrol stations in Iceland per capita than anywhere else.

If you are doing any kind of self service or using the ATMs then you'll need your PIN. Otherwise it is my understanding that you simply say you haven't go a PIN and they'll skip the step.

Thank you. I was using Google Maps last night, and it does look like we'll be ok with finding petrol. And my bank is sending me a "PIN in the mail for your protection". I guess they think my secretary (which I don't have) was listening in on my phone call to them!

I just took a look at the Budget car rental in Reykjavik and luckily it is located in the BSI coach terminal. BSI is open until midnight and there are always taxis available outside. Just ask the driver to take you to the large cruise port.

(BSI Coach Terminal is in the bottom of the picture).

Wow! That is excellent! The will make things much simpler. Thanks so much for all the help!!!

I am very much looking forward to our visit to your wonderful country. Though a really short one our stay will surely make us want to return and see more.

Chris

:)hi we are in iceland on the 5th and 6th august and are considering a whale watching excursion offered by the cruise line just wondering what the chances of sighting whales this time of year any info would be greatly appreciated

:)hi we are in iceland on the 5th and 6th august and are considering a whale watching excursion offered by the cruise line just wondering what the chances of sighting whales this time of year any info would be greatly appreciated

I saw some statistics in one of the newspapers a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly the chances of sighting a whale are around 95-99%.

Hi,

We are cruising around Iceland in a few days time. We have booked private trips from Reykjavik and Akureyri, but have a whole day in Isafjordur and a half day in Seydisfjordur.

Can you suggest anything we could do in these places - walking, bus - we don not want to join a tour bus.

Thanks.

Skate 38:)

Karlth:

Under 2 weeks until we arrive for our 10 day adventure, and the questions keep on coming!

1) Obviously weather is unpredictable, but what might we expect to be daily high temperatures as we do a lap around the country. In other words, should we even bother bringing shorts? I know we'll have lots of layers with us (fleeces, sweaters, windbreakers, a heavier coat for evenings).

2) We remember lots of bugs from when we "met the horses" and near Gullfoss last year, that was in mid June, should we expect the same in mid/late August?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Hi,

We are cruising around Iceland in a few days time. We have booked private trips from Reykjavik and Akureyri, but have a whole day in Isafjordur and a half day in Seydisfjordur.

Can you suggest anything we could do in these places - walking, bus - we don not want to join a tour bus.

Thanks.

Skate 38:)

We recently spent a most enjoyable day walking in Isafjordur. We did a circular walk along paths past Tjaldsvaeoi Campground, and a beautiful waterfall to a small forest. Interesting old houses in small town, and small Maritime Museum was a nice surprise with a large collection of piano accordions

http://Www.isafjordur.is/port

Click on English, then things to do.

Karlth, We're looking for a tour company-any recommendations for reasonable priced companies? Thanks, Judy

I haven't any personal experiences with Icelandic tour companies but I recommended one earlier in the thread simply because I'm familiar with the people that run it. :)

Karlth:

Under 2 weeks until we arrive for our 10 day adventure, and the questions keep on coming!

1) Obviously weather is unpredictable, but what might we expect to be daily high temperatures as we do a lap around the country. In other words, should we even bother bringing shorts? I know we'll have lots of layers with us (fleeces, sweaters, windbreakers, a heavier coat for evenings).

2) We remember lots of bugs from when we "met the horses" and near Gullfoss last year, that was in mid June, should we expect the same in mid/late August?

You can expect temps from 10c to 25c, sun and rain! Weather has been pretty cold so far so the few bugs we have in Iceland are mostly dead!

You can expect temps from 10c to 25c, sun and rain! Weather has been pretty cold so far so the few bugs we have in Iceland are mostly dead!

Excellent, thanks!

Assuming we survive ;) I'll have either a great tour company recommendation in a few weeks . . . or a grave warning. I expect the former.

Excellent, thanks!

Assuming we survive ;) I'll have either a great tour company recommendation in a few weeks . . . or a grave warning. I expect the former.

I'll be waiting to hear who you used and what your thoughts were.