Iceland - questions answered

What's the area immediately around the port of Reykjavik like?

We'll be stopping for a port call in Setpember but for just 10-12 hours. If we book the tour we are considering it'll take 8-8 1/2 hours.

If we want to pick up a few small gifts and don't get the opportunity to do a on the tour will there be shops in or near the port that we can walk to afterwards?

Thanks

We embark on Le Boreal from Reykjvik on July 30. We plan to arrive a few days early and would love to hear some blues music while we are there. Suggestions?

I'm not aware of a regular blues venue. You could try Café Rosenberg on Klapparstigur 25 - they specialize in live music. Also Harpan has regular live events.

Here is a nice listing. (Check out the "Live music" column)

http://www.musik.is/dofine.html

Many people ask about having/converting local currency. Do you think it's necessary, or are credit cards widely accepted?

Also, I understand we MUST stop at a good bakery... Suggestions?

Mastercard/VISA credit cards are widely accepted. Diners and American Express less so. It is though a good idea to have some local currency in your pocket.

Sandholt on Laugavegur 36 is very good also Mosfellsbakari on Haaletisbraut 58 (a bit from the center).

For bread and cakes I would select Sandholt, for chocolate pastries Mosfellsbakari.

What's the area immediately around the port of Reykjavik like?

We'll be stopping for a port call in Setpember but for just 10-12 hours. If we book the tour we are considering it'll take 8-8 1/2 hours.

If we want to pick up a few small gifts and don't get the opportunity to do a on the tour will there be shops in or near the port that we can walk to afterwards?

The cruise port is in a clean but industrial area. There is a small shop there that sells souvenirs and a cute little beach.

7586284308_1d408065e5_m.jpg

I would though definitely recommend a 30 minute walk along the seaside to the city center instead of wandering near the cruise port looking at the buses! Just head for the Harpa concert hall along the sea:

page-background-08.small.png

PS. Some smaller ships dock directly in the center but all the major cruise lines dock at the regular cruise port.

Hi there, I have a semi long layover in Iceland next month on my way home from Copenhagen. I arrive in Reykjavik Keflavik around 3:10 and leave at 10:30 the next morning. I already have a hotel booked for the night but was wondering what you would suggest I could do for my short stay there. thanks,

Matt

Hi there, I have a semi long layover in Iceland next month on my way home from Copenhagen. I arrive in Reykjavik Keflavik around 3:10 and leave at 10:30 the next morning. I already have a hotel booked for the night but was wondering what you would suggest I could do for my short stay there. thanks,

Here are a few ideas: http://www.re.is/DayTours/Allourtours/

It depends on your interest of course but I always recommend the Blue Lagoon and the Golden Circle. Also the Silfra diving/floating experience is quite unique: http://www.dive.is/Diving_Iceland.php?page=Diving%20Silfra

You can also spend a whole day strolling around Reykjavik. Cycling around Reykjavik with a guide is enjoyable and very different to cycling in Copenhagen.

Thanks for providing so much useful information.

Could you give an indication of the likely weather/temperatures on 6/7 August?

We have had low temperatures this summer so based on July you should expect low 10s celsius with spots of sun and rain.

Here are a few webcams that should you a decent idea of the conditions: http://www.livefromiceland.is/

We have had low temperatures this summer so based on July you should expect low 10s celsius with spots of sun and rain.

Here are a few webcams that should you a decent idea of the conditions: http://www.livefromiceland.is/

Oh dear - rather cooler that the 32 degrees were are currently suffering from here.

I shall look out my thermals :D.

Mastercard/VISA credit cards are widely accepted. Diners and American Express less so. It is though a good idea to have some local currency in your pocket.

Sandholt on Laugavegur 36 is very good also Mosfellsbakari on Haaletisbraut 58 (a bit from the center).

For bread and cakes I would select Sandholt, for chocolate pastries Mosfellsbakari.

Excellent! We'll hit the bakeries you've recommended and are looking forward to just driving the countryside and hanging with the locals in the weekend markets.

Here are a few ideas: http://www.re.is/DayTours/Allourtours/

It depends on your interest of course but I always recommend the Blue Lagoon and the Golden Circle. Also the Silfra diving/floating experience is quite unique: http://www.dive.is/Diving_Iceland.php?page=Diving%20Silfra

You can also spend a whole day strolling around Reykjavik. Cycling around Reykjavik with a guide is enjoyable and very different to cycling in Copenhagen.

Please where would you suggest places to go "strolling around Reykjavik". We are spending 4 days in Reykjavik. We had booked for the Blue lagoon, Golden Circle, South Coast and Glacier Lagoon and Landmannalangar. We should still have half day to see the city.

Thanks.

Angela

Will carry local currency and am wondering if credit cards must be 'chipped'. Cards in the U.S. are not, but we do have a Canadian bank card that is. Do most cards in Iceland have the chip?

After browsing through the excellent Copenhagen thread I thought about starting one for Iceland as well: I'm a regular cruiser that lives in Reykjavik, Iceland and not affiliated with any tour companies. So if you have any questions about the Icelandic ports of call and surrounding attractions feel free to ask.quote]

Karlth, Kath here -- and I will be stopping in Iceland for 5 days ahead of our cruise and will read through this thread. But I wanted to see if you can recommend any other pools/spas right inside Reykjavik other than the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is very high on the list -- but at $50 a visit on the low end, probably won't do this every day. And what about that thermal beach nearby???

Thanks.

Kath

Please where would you suggest places to go "strolling around Reykjavik". We are spending 4 days in Reykjavik. We had booked for the Blue lagoon, Golden Circle, South Coast and Glacier Lagoon and Landmannalangar. We should still have half day to see the city.

Starting from the cruise port:

Go to the Harpa. Directions: Turn right on the cruise dock and follow the walking path all the way into the center. Walk inside the building for a few minutes.

Go to the Old Harbor. Directions: From the Harpa continue following the sea. A lot of restaurants there and things to see. The Sægreifinn (Sea baron) has a great lobster soup. Walk beside the huge fishing trawlers in dry dock.

Go to Vikin. Directions. Continue walking past the dry docks and to the Maritime Museum (go inside if the ship "Odin" is open for sighseeing). Behind the museum there is a very good geletaria called Valdis.

Walk through the old residential area back into the city center. Directions (you'll need a map now): From the Maritime Museum walk towards "Landakotchurch" which is on Tungata. Walk down Tungata and then turn left on Gardastræti and onto "Mjostræti". Walk through the small Grjotaþorp area which is the oldest neighborhood in Reykjavik.

"Skolavordustigur". Directions: Continue walking through the city center towards "Bankastræti". Then take a right and walk up the pleasant "Skolavordustigur" until you get to the towering Hallgrimskirkja. Enter the church and pay to go up to the tower for a 360 degree view over Reykjavik.

There are several very nice coffeehouses on this street including the oldest one called Mokka. Skolavordustigur is also the home of one the best soups in Iceland: Noodle Station (there is no menu, they only serve this soup with either chicken, beef or veg).

"Laugavegur". Directions: From Hallgrimskirkja walk down "Vitastigur" until you come to "Laugavegur". Walk down this street all the way downto "Bankastræti" and enjoy the sites. A lot of shops, restaurants, coffeehouses and interesting stuff. Stop at the tiny shop called "Visir" on Laugavegi 1 and buy some Icelandic sweets and drinks for tasting: "Liquorish rolls", "Eitt sett", "Hraun" and "Malt" or "Appelsin" to drink.

Back to the ship. Directions: Walk down "Ingolfsstræti" all the way down to walking path you took earlier and head towards the cruise dock again.

• Like 1

Will carry local currency and am wondering if credit cards must be 'chipped'. Cards in the U.S. are not, but we do have a Canadian bank card that is. Do most cards in Iceland have the chip?

I'm pretty sure non chipped cards work as well. I seem to remember credit cards machines offering both chip and magnetic strip slots.

After browsing through the excellent Copenhagen thread I thought about starting one for Iceland as well: I'm a regular cruiser that lives in Reykjavik, Iceland and not affiliated with any tour companies. So if you have any questions about the Icelandic ports of call and surrounding attractions feel free to ask.quote]

Karlth, Kath here -- and I will be stopping in Iceland for 5 days ahead of our cruise and will read through this thread. But I wanted to see if you can recommend any other pools/spas right inside Reykjavik other than the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is very high on the list -- but at $50 a visit on the low end, probably won't do this every day. And what about that thermal beach nearby???

Take a look here: http://www.spacity.is/ and here http://www.visitreykjavik.is/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-241

Laugardagslaug is the largest.

Try to go there in the evenings, it really is magical.

We will have three full days in Reykjavik, but four full-day tours from Reykjavik have caught our eye: Golden Circle; Reykjanes and Blue lagoon; South Coast; Snaefellsness Peninsula. All four tours, it seems, with a guide, are reasonably covered in a day. Which three tours would give us the best picture of the real Iceland and its people? We have not been to Iceland before. We are older in age, so this may be our only visit to Iceland. We have done our research, but still, we are torn. Advice gladly welcomed!

Starting from the cruise port:

Go to the Harpa. Directions: Turn right on the cruise dock and follow the walking path all the way into the center. Walk inside the building for a few minutes.

Go to the Old Harbor. Directions: From the Harpa continue following the sea. A lot of restaurants there and things to see. The Sægreifinn (Sea baron) has a great lobster soup. Walk beside the huge fishing trawlers in dry dock.

Go to Vikin. Directions. Continue walking past the dry docks and to the Maritime Museum (go inside if the ship "Odin" is open for sighseeing). Behind the museum there is a very good geletaria called Valdis.

Walk through the old residential area back into the city center. Directions (you'll need a map now): From the Maritime Museum walk towards "Landakotchurch" which is on Tungata. Walk down Tungata and then turn left on Gardastræti and onto "Mjostræti". Walk through the small Grjotaþorp area which is the oldest neighborhood in Reykjavik.

"Skolavordustigur". Directions: Continue walking through the city center towards "Bankastræti". Then take a right and walk up the pleasant "Skolavordustigur" until you get to the towering Hallgrimskirkja. Enter the church and pay to go up to the tower for a 360 degree view over Reykjavik.

There are several very nice coffeehouses on this street including the oldest one called Mokka. Skolavordustigur is also the home of one the best soups in Iceland: Noodle Station (there is no menu, they only serve this soup with either chicken, beef or veg).

"Laugavegur". Directions: From Hallgrimskirkja walk down "Vitastigur" until you come to "Laugavegur". Walk down this street all the way downto "Bankastræti" and enjoy the sites. A lot of shops, restaurants, coffeehouses and interesting stuff. Stop at the tiny shop called "Visir" on Laugavegi 1 and buy some Icelandic sweets and drinks for tasting: "Liquorish rolls", "Eitt sett", "Hraun" and "Malt" or "Appelsin" to drink.

Back to the ship. Directions: Walk down "Ingolfsstræti" all the way down to walking path you took earlier and head towards the cruise dock again.

Thanks a million. I was wondering about where to eat and you have it included.

Angela

We will have three full days in Reykjavik, but four full-day tours from Reykjavik have caught our eye: Golden Circle; Reykjanes and Blue lagoon; South Coast; Snaefellsness Peninsula. All four tours, it seems, with a guide, are reasonably covered in a day. Which three tours would give us the best picture of the real Iceland and its people? We have not been to Iceland before. We are older in age, so this may be our only visit to Iceland. We have done our research, but still, we are torn. Advice gladly welcomed!

Difficult to pick one but I'd probably recommend the south coast tour.

Difficult to pick one but I'd probably recommend the south coast tour.

Originally Posted by maggie3 viewpost.gif

Thank you, Karlth, for your reply. Do you mean you would leave that one out, and that the other three would give us the best picture of the real Iceland and its people? I hope you can please clarify for us. I wish we had more time, but, with the air finalized, sadly, we don't.

Originally Posted by maggie3 viewpost.gif

Thank you, Karlth, for your reply. Do you mean you would leave that one out, and that the other three would give us the best picture of the real Iceland and its people? I hope you can please clarify for us. I wish we had more time, but, with the air finalized, sadly, we don't.

Oh, I thought you meant you were going to pick only one tour! If you are going to leave one tour out then I'd try to book a Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon tour that goes on a single day and leave the Reykjanes tour off your schedule. Also note that if you are interested in whale watching then they are offered near the old harbor in the city center. Each trip takes only 2-3 hours.

Take also a look at the city center walk I recommended a few posts above. You can add the following stops to that tour to get a more local touch:

Directly infront of Hallgrimskirkja there is small coffeehouse called "Loki" which offers some tasty traditional Icelandic dishes. Walk through the local market called Kolaportið which is situated near the harbor. Peek into the old "Mal & Menning" bookstore on Laugavegur 18, the café on the second floor is my personal favorite in the city.

Oh, I thought you meant you were going to pick only one tour! If you are going to leave one tour out then I'd try to book a Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon tour that goes on a single day and leave the Reykjanes tour off your schedule. Also note that if you are interested in whale watching then they are offered near the old harbor in the city center. Each trip takes only 2-3 hours.

Take also a look at the city center walk I recommended a few posts above. You can add the following stops to that tour to get a more local touch:

Directly infront of Hallgrimskirkja there is small coffeehouse called "Loki" which offers some tasty traditional Icelandic dishes. Walk through the local market called Kolaportið which is situated near the harbor. Peek into the old "Mal & Menning" bookstore on Laugavegur 18, the café on the second floor is my personal favorite in the city.

Thank you for your kind advice, Karth! I have learned much from reading this thread.

We will also be on the Celebrity Eclipse sailing into Reykjavik at 13:00 on July 8th and leaving at 14:00 on July 9th next year.

The cruiseline tours (for comparison) are offering the Golden Circle after arrival on the 8th, and the Blue Lagoon that afternoon or the following morning. We would prefer to avoid a large coach tour if possible. They are also offering 'Reykjavik City Sites' and Panoramic Reykjavik' but I think the first two are the 'must-do' trips. Would it be feasible or less advisable to do the Blue Lagoon in the afternoon and the Golden Circle the following morning (thus avoiding the cruise coaches at the Blue Lagoon)?

We will also be in Akureyi the following day, 10th July, from 09:00 to 19:00, so we will have a full day - do you have any suggestions as to what we could do there? The cruise line is offering a combine Akureyri and Godafoss trip.

Thanks for your help, it is so useful to have someone who knows the area and also understands about the limitations of port days on a cruise :)