Iceland - questions answered

Hi Karlth, Thanks for all the information you have given. We are at Reykjavik September 2nd and 3rd 2014, on cruise ship Adventure of the Seas. Do you think it is worth booking a Northern Lights Tour at this time of the year????? Thanks Judy

It depends on the weather and cloud coverage. This tour company (one of the largest ones) does offer a northern light tour from the 1st of September:

http://www.re.is/DayTours/Activity/Details/Northern-Lights-Tour-Sept-Oct/

Just back from Iceland (Reykjavik). It was sunny and not too cold (55 F). But it was VERY windy -- probably 25 mph most of the time. Also, if you take a "golden circle," it covers a lot of territory and the weather can literally change from one site to another.

I would definitely dress in layers. Long-sleeved shirt, heavy sweater/fleece pullover and something to combat the wind. A medium weight jacket also works. Some wore hats (that fit snugly!). Gloves were NOT needed, although some people brought them. Sturdy walking shoes are a must.

Just back from Iceland (Reykjavik). It was sunny and not too cold (55 F). But it was VERY windy -- probably 25 mph most of the time. Also, if you take a "golden circle," it covers a lot of territory and the weather can literally change from one site to another.

I would definitely dress in layers. Long-sleeved shirt, heavy sweater/fleece pullover and something to combat the wind. A medium weight jacket also works. Some wore hats (that fit snugly!). Gloves were NOT needed, although some people brought them. Sturdy walking shoes are a must.

This is what we're expecting for next week. Packing day is tomorrow, and the fleeces, windbreakers, and flannels are ready to go, along with a wool hat for each of us. And a pair of gloves, anyway.

I'm guessing with wind like that that umbrellas aren't much use?

This is what we're expecting for next week. Packing day is tomorrow, and the fleeces, windbreakers, and flannels are ready to go, along with a wool hat for each of us. And a pair of gloves, anyway.

I'm guessing with wind like that that umbrellas aren't much use?

We had a burst of wind yesterday and last week but it should settle down for next week at least.

Here is a link to the forecast: http://en.vedur.is/

We were in Iceland last Saturday & Sunday, and, yes, it was windy but not bad at all. We wore jeans, sneakers, long sleeve Ts, and a waterproof Columbia jacket. I wore a headband to keep my hair out of my face and to keep my ears warm. With driving in a warm car, hiking around waterfalls & geysers, and walking (a lot), we were very comfortable. As a Floridian who hates the cold, I loved the weather last weekend.

Don't over think it or overpack - I took waaaaay more than I needed. Grab your camera and enjoy the countryside. It's an exquisite country.

karlth - thanks for all you responses prior to our trip. We found driving was easy both around the south side and through the parks. We'll be back :cool:

We will be in Reykjavik in July 2014 and had thought we would do an evening (departure 7pm) Golden Tour. We had thought that we would have endless hours of light/dusk and wanted to make the most of our time. Given how the weather seems to have been are we mad. Love to hear your view. Thanks.

We will be in Reykjavik in July 2014 and had thought we would do an evening (departure 7pm) Golden Tour. We had thought that we would have endless hours of light/dusk and wanted to make the most of our time. Given how the weather seems to have been are we mad. Love to hear your view. Thanks.

I don't fully understand your question. Are you asking whether you should do a day or evening Golden Circle tour in July?

Sorry, yes I was wondering if we should do the evening tour of the Golden Circle if the weather was similar next year to what it was July this year. We thought the tour was a great idea as we could go downtown in the afternoon and then take the tour in the evening. The next day we are going to do the Segway tour of Reykjavik.

Sorry, yes I was wondering if we should do the evening tour of the Golden Circle if the weather was similar next year to what it was July this year. We thought the tour was a great idea as we could go downtown in the afternoon and then take the tour in the evening. The next day we are going to do the Segway tour of Reykjavik.

I think you are good either way. It really is impossible to plan anything in regards to the weather here in northern Europe. :)

In regards to Segway I'd rather recommend a bicycling tour if you are up for it as you'll see much more of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that drab, neutral colors are usually recommended for travel in Europe. I have recently bought a bright red winter jacket that I like. It is just the right warmth for the time of year we will travel. I realize everyone will know I'm a tourist. Just curious, though, do residents of Iceland wear bright colors?

Didn't notice any differences in the color templates of folks in and out of Reykjavik than you'd see anywhere else.

Houses and shops are invariably painted in bright pastels, or white with brightly painted roofs, though.

tlCny5j.jpg

if that didn't work, click here

Edited by Nitemare

Thanks, Nite for your reply. I know drab is not the appropriate word, but usually when we travel in Europe we see lots of black, beige and brown. I normally take with me lots of black, beige and brown. I know they are tasteful and practical colors. Karlth I will truly appreciate your input. While the red jacket looks good on me, coincidentally, I don't usually feel comfortable standing out in a crowd either. Silly, I know.

Maggie3 - I wore my red jacket (see below in Iceland) in every port in Europe, and in Iceland I took it off int he car. It was a very comfortable day, weather wise when we were there. I didn't feel the least bit conspicuous. Just wear what you'll be comfortable in.

535799_10151807573108529_1429431100_n.jpg.5a02223adb5d4df5b41c6a7fc47ad549.jpg

Didn't notice any differences in the color templates of folks in and out of Reykjavik than you'd see anywhere else.

Houses and shops are invariably painted in bright pastels, or white with brightly painted roofs, though.

tlCny5j.jpg

if that didn't work, click here

Wow, even that link didn't work. Weird, it's just to a picture hosting site.

the *** part is imgur, put that in and you should get the pretty picture.

Are there any toll roads within Iceland? If so will we need exact change (coins) to pass?

We leave for Copenhagen in just 5 days and we're trying to wrap up all of the loose ends and make sure we have everything covered that we can think of and since Iceland is the only place we plan to drive ourselves we thought it might be worth asking about the tolls.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi, does anyone know if cruise ships sail above the Arctic Circle when leaving Akureyri in North Iceland on the way to Trondheim in Norway.

According to the Adventure of the Seas TV screen a couple of days ago we were sailing at a latitude of 66.37N, when I seem to recall that the Arctic Circle is at 66.33N.

The Captain suggested that we had not been in the Arctic Circle during his noon message the following day but suggested that everyone tells their friends that they had been there, as their friends would not know whether they had or not.

Hi Karlth, Thanks for all the information you have given. We are at Reykjavik September 2nd and 3rd 2014, on cruise ship Adventure of the Seas. Do you think it is worth booking a Northern Lights Tour at this time of the year????? Thanks Judy

Hi, we are currently on that same cruise this year. We did book the Northern Lights trip but officially it was "unsuccessful" and we can go on another one free of charge in the next 12 months or so if we go back there. I did get some green colours in the sky however on a long 30 second exposure on my camera, although it was difficult to perceive the colour with the naked eye.

We did however see the Lights on the ship as well as we sailed north from Reykjavik to Akureyri and on other later nights too, but it is better to stand on the Heli-Pad as the light pollution on Deck 12 was dreadful. The colours were not as vivid as we have seen in Alaska, but it was wonderful to see this natural phenomena anyway

Kalrth, before we went to Copenhagen I became very familiar with the thread that you mentioned and I'm very grateful to you for starting one up for Iceland. It's been very helpful! :) We will be there for an overnight next June 27th & 28th on the Celebrity Infinity. For the long first day stay I was considering a Golden Circle tour, but I saw that you recommended the South Shore tour when the poster asked which you would favor if you were to only take one tour. Do you think the South Shore tour is a better choice then the Golden Circle? And if so, why?

Thanks!

Ken

Hi, does anyone know if cruise ships sail above the Arctic Circle when leaving Akureyri in North Iceland on the way to Trondheim in Norway.

According to the Adventure of the Seas TV screen a couple of days ago we were sailing at a latitude of 66.37N, when I seem to recall that the Arctic Circle is at 66.33N.

The Captain suggested that we had not been in the Arctic Circle during his noon message the following day but suggested that everyone tells their friends that they had been there, as their friends would not know whether they had or not.

Based on our study of the geography, it is unlikely you'd hit the Arctic circle leaving or entering Akureyri unless you took a relatively significant detour to the north

Based on our study of the geography, it is unlikely you'd hit the Arctic circle leaving or entering Akureyri unless you took a relatively significant detour to the north

We had visited Akureyri for the day having sailed from Reykjavik around the western side of Iceland and then sailed east to Norway, having to sail past the north east tip of Iceland, which is at a higher latitude than Akureyri.

I talked to someone on the ship today and they had visited Akureyri last year on a Princess Ship and all of the passengers on that ship had received a certificate confirming that they had actually sailed into the Arctic Circle

Depending on where in Norway you are going, you may cross the Arctic Circle. But leaving Akureyri and heading East to Norway doesn't require that crossing.

Of course after looking at dozens of maps just now on the Internet, it's just as easy to find a map that says you do cross the line as it it to find one that says you wouldn't -- all I can go on is that when we were doing our recent trip, we were told the only way to truly cross the circle in Iceland was to go up to Grimsey.