Iceland - questions answered

WE are thinking of doing a trans atlantic cruise that stops two days in Iceland. I was wondering what the sunklight hours and temperatures are like at that time of year. What typical clothing would we need to wear while out on tour. We are a couple in our sixties and my wife is concerned that she will not be uncomfortable and I am trying to convince her otherwise as Iceland is definitely on my bucket list.

We were in Iceland at the end of June. not on a cruise, but we spent 3 nights there. The scenery is beautiful, but we had horrible weather, although it seemed to be clearing up when we were leaving. It was light until at least 11pm so there was at least 21 hours of daylight while we were there. We went to the southern coast to Jakusarlon Lagoon, Blue Lagoon, and the Golden Circle with a rental car. We didn't care for Reykjavik or Pingevillir, but the basalt columns near Vik and the glacier near there was beautiful as well as the Jakusarlon Lagoon. We did the Blue Lagoon as well. It was expensive, but we liked it. It was nice to say that you did it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the answer. Children are 9 and 12 and ready for some excursions if they are not too long and tirefull;)

at that age, they'd probably enjoy the Golden Circle tour, especially the waterfall (Gulfoss) and the Geysir.

WE are thinking of doing a trans atlantic cruise that stops two days in Iceland. I was wondering what the sunklight hours and temperatures are like at that time of year. What typical clothing would we need to wear while out on tour. We are a couple in our sixties and my wife is concerned that she will not be uncomfortable and I am trying to convince her otherwise as Iceland is definitely on my bucket list.

We just returned from Iceland (11/9/13) and while it was cold we were able to keep warm. Our friends from North Carolina were also able to stay warm and they left Maryland to avoid the cold. We are all in our sixties. We were not on a cruise but rather a tour that was centered around viewing the Northern Lights and other natural wonders of Iceland. I usually wore "cuddl duds" under my jeans as well as the under a turtleneck. Since the turtleneck was of a lighter variety I added a sweater and of course a coat. Because we encountered wind I added a scarf, gloves and hat as well as the hood of my jacket. The only time I was really cold was in the wind at night as we were viewing the Lights.

We really did enjoy Iceland and the people we encountered were some of the nicest folks we have ever met in our travels. I hope you are able to convince your wife as truely Iceland is a beautiful country.

Barb

• 4 weeks later...

We are thinking about booking a fly/drive tour around Iceland for next May, 2014. We also want to fly from US to Amsterdam, spend 3 days there and then on the return do the 6 day self-drive tour around Iceland.

So we are looking at the first week in May. I was looking at the Nordik company,(not sure if that if spelled correctly).

What will the weather be like in early May since I am from Florida. Figure on putting the two trips together to see the Tulips in last part of April and then saving on airfare on the return and going to Iceland.

Can you recommend anything that we should definitely include in our trip.

Any help would be helpful.

Thanks.

June, 2012, the temps were in the low 70's

Most of summer 2013, the temps never got out of the low 60's and it rained a lot.

Be prepared for temps as low as 40 and as high as the 60's in May.

6 days won't let you see the whole country, but you should be able to hit the hotspots. Get a high clearance 4WD vehicle so you can go on the Mountain Roads.

If we go to Iceland in early May will be roads be a mess. I was going to just rent a regular car. Should we get a 4 x 4 vehicle. Any advice. Thanks.

Depends on where you are going. During the springtime if a road is closed it is usually closed for both 4x4s and normal cars. Unless you are going into the highland most roads should be clear.

If you're staying on Route 1, you don't need a 4x4. If you expect to go off of Route 1 at all, you want 4 wheel drive. And I bet that you can't drive on Route 1 for more than 20 miles without seeing something that is going to make you REALLY want to leave the highway.

If you're staying on Route 1, you don't need a 4x4. If you expect to go off of Route 1 at all, you want 4 wheel drive. And I bet that you can't drive on Route 1 for more than 20 miles without seeing something that is going to make you REALLY want to leave the highway.

Then we shall spend the extra money for the 4x4. Awesome advise. Thanks.

Karlth - Thank you for all the helpful information you have provided.

We have previously been to Iceland on a cruise ship and took the one-day Golden Circle tour. Now we are returning for three days with two other couples in June. I want to plan the sightseeing for our group. Can you help me enhance the following itinerary?

The first night, we sleep on the ship, so we will probably spend the day exploring the town. I am a birder so will probably take the puffin boat excursion.

The second day, we will rent an SUV for the 6 of us and will do the Golden Circle again. I don't remember there being much traffic and expect that the driving will be easy. We have already booked a hotel.

The third day, I want to plan a different trip - most likely the south coast that you recommended to a prior poster. What are the significant places to see and in what order? Is there a birding opportunity on this day?

Day 4 - return car at int'l airport and fly home. Sadly.

Thanks for your help on the Day 3 plans.

I'm not Karlth (obviously), but I'm planning our 3rd trip in under 2 years, so I'll try to help.

Golden Circle is awesome. But there are 100 other things in Iceland equally (or nearly, or MORE) awesome than that. So I wouldn't repeat the Golden Circle, even for your friends who haven't seen it.

You definitely want to do the South coast in the time you have.

Instead of Gullfoss, for your waterfall, go to Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. About 20 miles apart from each other. Continue Southeast and turn off on road 218 to Dyrholaey. Great black sand beach, some very easy hiking, and we saw tons of puffins up close there in mid/late August this year (many more than we saw from our puffin boat cruise in Reykjavik a few days prior, and much closer). Continue east from there to Jokulsarlon, to see hundreds of floating icebergs coming off of a glacier, and do the duckboat tour there.

You should easily be able to cover this in the time you have, and to find hotels in the areas.

Other things in the area: Off of road 221 there is a glacier (Sólheimajökull) you can park within a mile of and easily walk right up to and climb on if you wish. You can go to the museum near the famous volcano Eyjafjallajökull. There's another waterfall near there (Svartifoss).

But skip the "church floor". Trust me. I live near Plymouth Rock and I know a bad tourist attraction when I see one.

Now I'm off to prove to my wife (and to me) that our chances of having clear skies in early March to see Northern Lights is a worthwhile trip to make! Karlth, if you can speak towards that, please let me know! :)

Good luck with your plans to see the Lights in March. We toured there the first week in November and had 3 nights out of 6 that we were able to see the lights. The last night was the best for sure. Here is a web site that might help you plan when in March to go, if you haven't decided on dates. http://www.vercalendario.info/en/moon/iceland-month-march-2014.html

Barb

Ha! That's the site we already were using (or one VERY much like it!) and we're thinking of heading over March 1st to the 5th.

Last year's trip was done through a great agency that set up the car and all the hotels, but all the agency trips we can find for a March trip mostly duplicate what we saw, so we're trying to do this on our own (really pushing our comfort zone here).

I'm mostly concerned with how rainy and cloudy it's been all year there. Very glad to hear you had three clear nights out of six!

Even if we don't get northern lights, I figure seeing all those stars (we won't be staying in the city) will be amazing.

And we booked it.

One hotel near Vik for 3 nights, one night at the hotel at the Blue Lagoon (includes Lagoon entrance and b'fast, so price works out decently). Renting the biggest SUV we could find so in case the roads aren't plowed, we don't care.

But really really really, just want a couple clear nights and a night of Northern Lights.

Thank you for your suggestions for a south coast trip.

If we don't go as far as Jokulsarlon, which seems like the furthest point, can we do the other highlights in one day from Reykjavik if we get an early start? It won't be getting dark in mid-June, so we won't have to worry about getting back to Reykjavik before dark.

Also, if we do this trip instead of the touristy Golden Circle, that gives us another day to plan an excursion from Reykjavik. Is it worthwhile to head north on the next day?

Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions for a south coast trip.

If we don't go as far as Jokulsarlon, which seems like the furthest point, can we do the other highlights in one day from Reykjavik if we get an early start? It won't be getting dark in mid-June, so we won't have to worry about getting back to Reykjavik before dark.

Also, if we do this trip instead of the touristy Golden Circle, that gives us another day to plan an excursion from Reykjavik. Is it worthwhile to head north on the next day?

Thanks again for all your help.

Vik and back would be easy (which gets you to Katla Volcano). Hofn and back would be 10-11 hours of driving, total, so it's doable, but that's alot of driving! I'd say you could go as far east as Skaftafell National Park (about 4 hours from Reykjavik), which has some great views. And on day two, heading north to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula is exactly what I'd recommend.

Go see the Walter Mitty movie. The parts they say are Greenland are Stykkisholmur, in the Snaefellsnes peninsula. It's about 2 hours from Reykjavik, and you can easily do the whole peninsula and back in a day. There's a small, ancient volcano you can easily climb in the western part of the peninsula, and the road up to Snaefellsjokull volcano is a ride you won't forget.

Make sure you get a 4 wheel drive vehicle with at least 8" or more of ground clearance!