Silver Shadow Fails Sanitation Inspection After Caught Hiding Filthy Conditions from

mikedoes

I saw the original post and wondered why it was pulled and appreciate the explanation.

Some of the comments strike me as being somewhat naive and optimistic.

For example how happy are customers to drink spirits hat have been sitting in passenger suites for a cruise or two? What do they think happens to the open bottles that are left in suites after cruises? Do they they think that a money-saving line throws half drunk bottles of wine from suites away? The majority of people on blind tasting cannot even taste the difference between vodka and gin or scotch and brandy. champagne or cava and even less can tell the difference between premium and non premium brands. Why would anyone believe hat "topping off" and recycling wouldn't routinely happen?

A lot has been said that is very hurtful to loyal SS customers. It represents a very serious breach of trust as well as putting customers health at serious risk, and actually there is only one scenario that will put this to rest or failing that then increase concern. That is the CEO making a public statement about what happened,, why and what is in place to prevent a reoccurrence. Silence doesn't do that. Another inspection on another SS ship will be pretty harmful.

Several people here indicate or hint that they have close current contact. If they do then they I am sure will encourage their contacts to provide such an explanation. Without it they must expect customers to feel cheated and let down and the consequences that that brings.

Anyone with a future Shadow reservation should cancel. Maybe that will motivate Silversea to issue an acceptable explanation of why this happened and what they are going to do to fix.

I saw the original post and wondered why it was pulled and appreciate the explanation.

Some of the comments strike me as being somewhat naive and optimistic.

For example how happy are customers to drink spirits hat have been sitting in passenger suites for a cruise or two? What do they think happens to the open bottles that are left in suites after cruises? Do they they think that a money-saving line throws half drunk bottles of wine from suites away? The majority of people on blind tasting cannot even taste the difference between vodka and gin or scotch and brandy. champagne or cava and even less can tell the difference between premium and non premium brands. Why would anyone believe hat "topping off" and recycling wouldn't routinely happen?

A lot has been said that is very hurtful to loyal SS customers. It represents a very serious breach of trust as well as putting customers health at serious risk, and actually there is only one scenario that will put this to rest or failing that then increase concern. That is the CEO making a public statement about what happened,, why and what is in place to prevent a reoccurrence. Silence doesn't do that. Another inspection on another SS ship will be pretty harmful.

Several people here indicate or hint that they have close current contact. If they do then they I am sure will encourage their contacts to provide such an explanation. Without it they must expect customers to feel cheated and let down and the consequences that that brings.

I respectfully disagree and have not seen a naive comment.

If you read the article it said that they took lower price spirits and poured it into higher price bottles. If true that is absolutely ridiculous. And no, I do not expect half opened bottles of liquor left in someones stateroom to be served to anyone; period. Who knows what was put in that bottle.

Bottom line. No I do not believe that it is acceptable to pour non premium bottles of liquor and sparkling wine into premium spirt bottle and champagne bottle and worse yet what you said about taking opened bottles from staterooms and serving it to other passengers.

If someone chooses to do that, it is a penny wise and pound foolish decision.

I don't think it is naive to expect integrity.

I agree with you and stated it just a few posts up that a public response is needed sooner rather than later.

If the items are true then they need to be acknowledged with actions detailed that will prevent them from happening ever again with an apology.

If items are not true then that needs to be communicated.

In short, I do not expect companies that sell a luxury product to play games as was alleged in that article. And I do not expect any cruise line to do things that have been alleged.

I am a very positive person who tries to look at most things where people make criticisms about a cruise or cruise line, etc from all sides.

But if these items are true this is one where there are no two sides to the story.

Keith

I respectfully disagree and have not seen a naive comment.

If you read the article it said that they took lower price spirits and poured it into higher price bottles. If true that is absolutely ridiculous. And no, I do not expect half opened bottles of liquor left in someones stateroom to be served to anyone; period. Who knows what was put in that bottle.

Bottom line. No I do not believe that it is acceptable to pour non premium bottles of liquor and sparkling wine into premium spirt bottle and champagne bottle and worse yet what you said about taking opened bottles from staterooms and serving it to other passengers.

If someone chooses to do that, it is a penny wise and pound foolish decision.

I don't think it is naive to expect integrity.

I agree with you and stated it just a few posts up that a public response is needed sooner rather than later.

If the items are true then they need to be acknowledged with actions detailed that will prevent them from happening ever again with an apology.

If items are not true then that needs to be communicated.

In short, I do not expect companies that sell a luxury product to play games as was alleged in that article. And I do not expect any cruise line to do things that have been alleged.

I am a very positive person who tries to look at most things where people make criticisms about a cruise or cruise line, etc from all sides.

But if these items are true this is one where there are no two sides to the story.

Keith

Keith,

You seem to have agreed with everything I said except for a single word.

Or have I misunderstood?

Jeff

I completely agree with Keith that SS needs to come forward and deal with this honestly and promptly.

Seafairer, I have often seen extra precautions being taken pre-inspection [various lines] as the rules can be fussy and onerous...and generally I am not surprised or upset about this. Of course, I am not including in my comment any hiding of 'filthy' whatever.

Hasn't anyone else ever wondered what happens to the liquor bottles from the cabins??? Ours often are more than half full. We have been told that they can't go to crew,etc..........

I respectfully disagree and have not seen a naive comment. . . I am a very positive person who tries to look at most things where people make criticisms about a cruise or cruise line, etc from all sides.

Keith

Absolutely correct. However, I think it is fair to ask why the report has not been published on the website if, as stated, that is the normal procedure. If that is Public Health's normal policy (or CDC or whoever) why this exception? Is it possible this report is in error? I am not trying to excuse anyone or anything, just wondering where the official report is and why the delay.

I am very concerned by what I've read on this thread. We have booked our first Silversea cruise for September on Shadow. We thought we were going on a luxury cruise that would operate to exceptionally high standards. I'm going to contact SS for an immediate explanation.

Keith,

You seem to have agreed with everything I said except for a single word.

Or have I misunderstood?

Jeff

Jeff, when you said some of the comments were naive and optimistic to me it was not clear what you were saying. If you are saying that those of us who question all that was supposedly done are right and that we should not expect the line to have done what has been alleged then we are in agreement.

Keith

Every SS customer should prudently presume that this behaviour and practise is across the whole line until credible evidence is produced to prove otherwise. It isn't credible to believe that a single ships management acted on it's own initiative and outside of the knowledge and coercion of their land based corporate management.

Jeff, when you said some of the comments were naive and optimistic to me it was not clear what you were saying. If you are saying that those of us who question all that was supposedly done are right and that we should not expect the line to have done what has been alleged then we are in agreement.

Keith

All I meant by the comment was that people shouldn't be surprised that some of these things - and worst happen. All I meant was I was surprised that people were as surprised - although to be completely frank I place myself in the category of naive as well as some of the practices have been shocking even to me!:eek:

The idea of eating food that is out of date or stored in a staff's cabin I find deeply shocking and I am offended that customers have been treated this way.

I am very concerned by what I've read on this thread. We have booked our first Silversea cruise for September on Shadow. We thought we were going on a luxury cruise that would operate to exceptionally high standards. I'm going to contact SS for an immediate explanation.

Please post their reply. Thanks.

I.

Hasn't anyone else ever wondered what happens to the liquor bottles from the cabins??? Ours often are more than half full. We have been told that they can't go to crew,etc..........

On our first AI cruise, which happened to be on Regent, we asked if we could sent our opened liquor bottles to the crew. The reply was of course no, for sanitation reasons. Later, a contract employee said she would happily take them so we gave them to her.

We were on the Shadow a year ago, and were not pleased. I just made final payment on the 11th for the Whisper.

I am now quite concerned.

Why not write to the President?

Ask him to explain to you what has happened, how and why, and why you should have confidence in your cruise?

EDITED: I'm away from base at the moment, but in an earlier thread I posted how to contact him by email .... a few emails to his email in tray might shift this along more quickly ...

Why not write to the President?

Ask him to explain to you what has happened, how and why, and why you should have confidence in your cruise?

I made a simple statement....the president can take care of this himself. Do you think he would respond.

Knee jerk reactions of cancelling cruises is not an option to me. To be glib about it, now would be the best time to sail on the Shadow. it will sparkle. The safest time to be on an airplane is shortly after something awful happens. I am still shocked by the whole thing but will await a response from SS and see what they do about replacing management ASAP.

I made a simple statement....the president can take care of this himself. Do you think he would respond.

We'll - apologies I was trying to help you.

But the answer is "Yes" he might respond but he will certainly rad your concern. He will be quite upset by this. But someone in his line is responsible. He will want to find out who.

He started a line with a very clear ethos and as the line grew his ethos was diluted by the corporation he built. It's a long story ...

Jeff,

I am not upset, hoping our next cruise in November will be fine. That is a very disturbing report.

You said you were quite concerned, I was simply suggesting a way to register the concern and receive reassurance. That as all.

I hope your cruise is fine.

Knee jerk reactions of cancelling cruises is not an option to me. To be glib about it, now would be the best time to sail on the Shadow. it will sparkle. The safest time to be on an airplane is shortly after something awful happens. I am still shocked by the whole thing but will await a response from SS and see what they do about replacing management ASAP.

I totally agree, I've emailed my contact at SS asking for an explanation and reassurance that our cruise will be fine and hope that others will do the same, but I reckon you're right about this being the best time to sail on Shadow.

It's was naive of Silversea in the first place to think this would never get out. You can't hide a truth like this forever. I agree a full explanation from SS should be forthcoming immediately.

In all honesty, I am not surprised that this happened on the Shadow. Of all the SS ships I have sailed food has always been an issue on the Shadow. I thought it was only about quality and taste, not about hygiene.

It's was naive of Silversea in the first place to think this would never get out. You can't hide a truth like this forever. I agree a full explanation from SS should be forthcoming immediately.

In all honesty, I am not surprised that this happened on the Shadow. Of all the SS ships I have sailed food has always been an issue on the Shadow. I thought it was only about quality and taste, not about hygiene.

Interesting - especially since our first Shadow cruise is less than 2 months away. Have they had the same chef for a long time? I would like to think that everyone involved in this cover-up will be gone by September.

It isn't credible to believe that a single ships management acted on it's own initiative and outside of the knowledge and coercion of their land based corporate management.

I agree, but isn't that exactly analogous to the IRS blaming things on "a few rogue agents in Cincinnati?"

Archived